Value of: Patrick Kane to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The only change on your main roster would be the Nylander for Kane swap. How would that put you in a retool? :huh:
Because Kane would walk and Tavares would be 2 years older. We'd be left with Matthews and Marner and not much else up front in the top 6, and thats not including the prospects and picks going out the door along with Nylander to get Kane and have Chicago retain. Its a terrible idea no matter how good Kane is and he is very very good.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
And why does TO need to score more?

It's the same thing as every year... dmen stress and goalie stress(Campbell been awesome but lately hasn't been the same)... offensive forwards aren't the issue

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Because Kane would walk and Tavares would be 2 years older. We'd be left with Matthews and Marner and not much else up front in the top 6, and thats not including the prospects and picks going out the door along with Nylander to get Kane and have Chicago retain. Its a terrible idea no matter how good Kane is and he is very very good.

And you could also have 2 rings by then with Kane being one of if not THE main contributors.

If you feel that it wouldn't be a wise move for the Leafs to do, I can understand that, but I'm just telling you what I think the cost would be if the Leafs actually wanted to pull the trigger.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
And you could also have 2 rings by then with Kane being one of if not THE main contributors.

If you feel that it wouldn't be a wise move for the Leafs to do, I can understand that, but I'm just telling you what I think the cost would be if the Leafs actually wanted to pull the trigger.
Thats fine it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I however don't believe it to be a smart move at all. Far to much risk for 1.5 years.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Leafs and Canucks would be in the same spot if this trade happend. Both in a retool. I have to say I'd much rather make the playoffs and take our chances with our core, then do this trade and be in a retool like Vancouver. Your team proved that poor asset management and bad signings can tank a franchise, yet here you are advocating for the leafs to do the same lol. Worry about the Canucks.
Vancouver isn't in a re-tool, Vancouver is in "we need to reverse the almost un-reversible damage done by a half wit that was given control of an NHL team by an owner that wanted a puppet yes man, not a winning hockey team. Now with a poorly built team, no cap flexibility, multiple long term high cap hit contracts, and a bottom of the barrel prospect pool a new group need to find a way to manufacture a respectable team" mode - just so we're clear.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Vancouver isn't in a re-tool, Vancouver is in "we need to reverse the almost un-reversible damage done by a half wit that was given control of an NHL team by an owner that wanted a puppet yes man, not a winning hockey team. Now with a poorly built team, no cap flexibility, multiple long term high cap hit contracts, and a bottom of the barrel prospect pool a new group need to find a way to manufacture a respectable team" mode - just so we're clear.
Just used the word that was given by a Canucks fan who knows his team better then I do.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Just used the word that was given by a Canucks fan who knows his team better then I do.
It had less to do with the wording and more to do with the fact that this Canuck fan in particular feels we are in far worse shape than re-tool. We still need to dig the hole, mine the ore, process the steel, make the tool and then we can discuss re-tool.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
The retention needed for Toronto to fit Kane under the cap would drive the price up way too high to be worth it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Am I crazy to wonder about this? Can't get much better playoff experience than Kane, and Toronto needs one more top 6 winger.

Would need Chicago to retain a lot to make the cap work, obviously raises Toronto's cost.

Kane, Marner and Willy all are listed as RW, but could this still work? Seems like Kane-Tavares-Willy would be ideal as the 3rd member there hasn't been set and nobody would want to mess with the Matthews line right now.

Would Kane be okay moving to Toronto for 1.5 years? Geographically not much different than Toronto, but would the country matter? Would he want to play with Matthews ... who could be considered the best American player ever in another 10 years.

Another plus for Kane: you've got to think he'll have a good chance sustaining his points for a longer time and better chance at one more big contract (albeit for only about 4 years)

so am I crazy? How much more would Toronto need to add?

Assuming Toronto starts with a 1st round pick + Robertson + ???
Well if Chicago has to retain, then likely going to cost Nylander.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I tend to think this would only work if Toronto again fails to go on a deep playoff run, decides to do some kind of reset and sell off one of the big four up front. In short, probably more of a summer move. Even then, I'm not sure it'd really make sense

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Your wrong because no team is trading a ppg winger in their prime plus other good assets in a package for a better winger who is years older and only under contract for the rest of this year and next. I'm surprised I had to lay it out for you.

While I agree with the general sentiment of this, if you're going to take on such a condescending tone as you "lay it out" it would probably more effective if you were actually correct yourself. Nylander is 100 points below a point-per-game in his career. He has never even had a point-per-game season. He's not even close to a point-per-game right now.

Why throw in a made-up thing in the middle of your response? What's the point?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If you're going to go for that type of player the target would be the lesser version in Giroux or Kessel, the economics on Kane just doesn't work

Calling Phil Kessel the "lesser version" of Patrick Kane is an incredibly generous way to describe Phil the Thrill right now.

There was a time you could call him that, but that time was around 2017. Right now he's more like the lesser version of Evander Kane.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Your wrong because no team is trading a ppg winger in their prime plus other good assets in a package for a better winger who is years older and only under contract for the rest of this year and next. I'm surprised I had to lay it out for you.
Is there another Nylander I’m not aware of besides him and his brother?

Last edited:

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
If Kane decides he wants to be moved Toronto or any team for that matter will need to give up 2 1st round picks , plus a elite prospect and send salary back to Chicago in order to sniff out any deal.

Kane going to Toronto would be a huge upgrade to Toronto and kane still has enough in the tank to help any team in the playoffs. Kane is Showtime

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Leafs' biggest area of concern is on the blue line, so sure, why not go and get Kane? No, not even remotely interested.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
If Kane decides he wants to be moved Toronto or any team for that matter will need to give up 2 1st round picks , plus a elite prospect and send salary back to Chicago in order to sniff out any deal.

Kane going to Toronto would be a huge upgrade to Toronto and kane still has enough in the tank to help any team in the playoffs. Kane is Showtime
So your saying Kane isn't being traded then?

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
So your saying Kane isn't being traded then?

Chicago under the new GM has announced a full rebuild. Kane and toews both have nmc however Colorado and a few other teams reached out to chicago and are seriously interested in acquiring Kane if he chooses to move. Kane will have to decide if he wants another chance at winning a cup. That's where everything stands ,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad