Confirmed with Link: Patrick Kane signs one year extension (4M base, up to 6.5M with bonuses)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Personal knowledge.
Please review the site rules:

8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I think Stamkos ends up in Boston if all he wants is $5 million

I think he gets offered more and goes elsewhere. I just want to live in my fantasy bubble until 12 thanks

I like the one year part, hope all of the bonuses stay to this season's cap. Still think he threw us off last season, but training camp might fix that.
I agree. As good as he was we were actually playing really well before he came in. Team chemistry went caputs

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't like this signing at all.

Why ?

He is our Top3 forward.

And the deal is kind of risk-free.

There's even rumors of Detroit being one of the teams who might trade for Askarov in net.

I wouldn't mind that at all.

Augustine <> Askarov would match better to Nashville goalie timelines, after they did extend Saros.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah. It's hard to understand.

But that's their development program. Has been same forever.

Yzerman just said on the draft, that he is not planning to open a spot for kid at offence. No one seems to be NHL-ready.

But, if someone takes big strides at summer and has a great camp, they'll consider. You have to push people out. Like Larkin did, like Raymond did, like Seider did.

That's what he said. It's a clear vision.

I love how these were the exact same words from Ken Holland's mouth 10 years ago. :D The development plan is a carbon copy.
It’s the unfortunate reality of lottery luck and the players you draft actually turn out as hoped.

I’ve said it numerous times before; without trades or UFA signings we’d still be bottom 5.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It’s the unfortunate reality of lottery luck and the players you draft actually turn out as hoped.

I’ve said it numerous times before; without trades or UFA signings we’d still be bottom 5.

Yeah.

Drafting is not 100% of team-building strategy. It's just one part of the business.

UFAs are 25-27 old nowadays. That's 5-7 prime years before 32. Salary cap is pushing people out all the time from successful teams.

Trades are no problem for Yzerman.

Just get them. Get the guys.

Reactions: 13to40 and FMichael

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I like the one year part, hope all of the bonuses stay to this season's cap. Still think he threw us off last season, but training camp might fix that.
Kane missing training camp and the early season practices I am sure did hurt his introduction to the system (lol) but the wonky schedule last year really hurt the wings practice time for a few months, compounded by the injuries to both top centers at the same time when he first got here, hopefully, this year will allow for more gelling time.

Kane will never be a Selke forward, but I think he his quite capable of being better in his own zone with more team practice time, he seemed rather lost more than disinterested most of the D zone time for a few months.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
You want to play kids that don't deserve to play? They will all be at training camp. Earn a spot. Injuries happen. This team needs a major talent upgrade not just promoting our prospects just because...
And it's the cold blooded reality...We don't have any generational talent in GR - hell if they were that good they wouldn't be in GR...Pretty much all our kids are works in progress - hopefully a handful will actually do something at the NHL level (top 4 Dman/top 6 forward/legit #1 netminder).

Reactions: jkutswings

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
LMFAO

God forbid that they would consider that legit information.

Thanks for the heads up!
Review the rule I posted above.

You could change your name to Steve Yzerman and start posting. Doesn't mean you are SY or have any inside information.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I don't believe Stamkos will come to Detroit for a bargain contract. Toronto could afford 5 million easily and he'd be playing on a team that would be a cup threat with him on their second line.

How much weed did you smoke before coming to the conclusion that Toronto with Stamkos would be a cup threat? That team has made it past round 1 of the playoffs just once in the past 8 years?

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Kane missing training camp and the early season practices I am sure did hurt his introduction to the system (lol) but the wonky schedule last year really hurt the wings practice time for a few months, compounded by the injuries to both top centers at the same time when he first got here, hopefully, this year will allow for more gelling time.

Kane will never be a Selke forward, but I think he his quite capable of being better in his own zone with more team practice time, he seemed rather lost more than disinterested most of the D zone time for a few months.

I agree with this. It took Kane a while to figure out that positioning himself higher up on the boards for a D outlet, like he has for most of his career, was not a good idea because poor D skill or pressure from forechecking resulted in passes never getting to him there. He either got beaten to a shit pass or loose puck, or brushed aside in a puck battle. He started coming back deeper and being available for a simpler play, and his patience and puck skill were pretty useful in at least getting the puck out and sometimes starting transition that he could join late rather than be the entry guy he's always been,. Or just get off the ice at the end of a shift spent entirely in his own end. Ed and a decent 2RD could help him and others with some skill a lot.

Obviously a good signing and well-structured contract. Clear intent is to push for a playoff spot and I expect them to add a 2RD and a third goaltender, also bring back Perron and Ghost. If either or even both of Seider/Raymond need to be bridged to provide needed Cap space for all the speculated signings, they will be.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I agree with this. It took Kane a while to figure out that positioning himself higher up on the boards for a D outlet, like he has for most of his career, was not a good idea because poor D skill or pressure from forechecking resulted in passes never getting to him there. He either got beaten to a shit pass or loose puck, or brushed aside in a puck battle. He started coming back deeper and being available for a simpler play, and his patience and puck skill were pretty useful in at least getting the puck out and sometimes starting transition that he could join late rather than be the entry guy he's always been,. Or just get off the ice at the end of a shift spent entirely in his own end. Ed and a decent 2RD could help him and others with some skill a lot.
Great stuff here.

Obviously a good signing and well-structured contract. Clear intent is to push for a playoff spot and I expect them to add a 2RD and a third goaltender
Still with you...

also bring back Perron and Ghost
Aaaaand you lost me.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure overly optimistic coaches of his have said this every offseason of his career. That's just Patrick Kane. Always has been.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Patrick Kane's defensive metrics weren't anyhow bad at Detroit. Just full stop for this being "bad defensively". He is effective via puck control.

1719845827578.png

1719845865815.png

Sprong and Fabbri were the weak ones in big picture.

Those RED, negative EVG (even-strength defence) bars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad