Former Bruins Patrice Bergeron II RETIRES (post 430)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Yeah, he must be so sad, its like a divorce. He has been his side kick on his line for the most of his career. That cant be easy to adjust to.

Take a look at the video tribute from his teammates.

Beginning with Charlie McAvoy, through David Krejci, to Brad.

Tell me what you see.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Give it Marchand. A lot of people and I’m talking Bruins fans don’t like him his past antics but that guy deserves to be the captain.
Again, do you go from Chara to Bergeron to Marchand to McAvoy in like a 5 year span? I doubt it. I highly doubt they'll have a captain going into this season. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

And the encomiums roll in.

Of course they do.

It's lovely to see and says all you need know about the high regard both teammates and opponents have for Bergeron.

As KPD wrote, Patrice reminds of no one so much as the great Jean Beliveau.

Universally respected, admired and beloved.

It couldn't happen to a better person.

1690320768815.png

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Patrice Bergeron was my favorite Bruin of all time. CLUTCH player who got big goals when it counted.

I never thought anyone would overtake Ray Bourque as my favorite Bruin, but Bergeron did.

I think he was somewhat overshadowed by international megastars David Ortiz and Tom Brady in the ‘national’ media, but we Bruins/hockey fans are fortunate enough to realize just how blessed we were to have him here.

I will always appreciate him.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
I watched my first and only game in Boston about a week after Joe Thornton was traded. Still beyond devastated, I didn’t even want to go - my wife had bought the tickets months prior.

Not wanting to disappoint my wife, we went to Boston. Having let my bitterness get to me, I was expecting to not enjoy the game. However, there was one player on the ice that kept catching my eye.

Three assists later (and a Win for the B's), 18 year old Patrice Bergeron had me thinking hmmm, maybe the B’s would be all right.

By the end of the game I felt a calmness because of #37. This was the same calmness I felt watching Patrice each and every game. There was truly no other player I’d want out there, no matter the situation.

Beyond a legend.

I am forever grateful to have been able to watch Patrice Bergeron’s greatness for the last 20 years.

374EVER

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You know what sets Bergy apart from the rest of his contemporary Boston legends? He was always present in the community. Brady was the best football player in the world, but did he ever f***ing do anything locally? He probably lived in a gated off mansion and only did big money shit in NYC. Ortiz was more active here and loves Boston, but his interests were national as well. The Celtics guys all came and went like mercenaries. But Bergy never had pretentions to be a national star, he wanted to be a Boston player for life.

Same goes for Chara, who's retired and still present and active in the Boston community. Hockey guys just get how to really buy into and support their local communities better than those from other sports. Every now and then you'll get an athlete from baseball or basketball or whatever who really goes above and beyond, but helping out at the grass roots just comes more naturally to hockey players. I think it speaks to the way they develop and rise through the ranks as athletes, usually with a lot of help, and the fact that while they are definitely well paid, their earnings don't put them completely in some otherworldly category totally divorced from the average person in the street.

Bergy exemplified this attitude of service and giving back. I don't really have any other words on his retirement at this point. As Krejci said in the video, there's too much to say. A great player, an even better person, none have ever made you prouder to pull on the black and gold. Thanks Patrice.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
None of us know the reasons (new baby, father health, his health) which all could be a factor

It's a shame the greatest and classiest captain in Bruins history couldn't be the captain in the 100th year of the storied franchise

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad