Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Laval Rocket Head Coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
I don't think HuGO necessarily valued experience because they hired MSL.

What i think they value is influence.

Vincent has more influence than any Q coaches we could have had, but also, less than half the influence of Marty.
Not disagreeing but I actually think they value communication and are able to verbalise what they want their players to execute. Which in essence is all part of being an intelligent hockey person. They have a young upcoming team full of prospects which will all require some teachings. The best way to teach and being to effectively communicate instructions and building up their confidence and skills. I don't know Vincent that well aside from what we see but I can tell you he speaks very well and can articulate better than most. my 2 cents

Reactions: Sorinth and Jaynki

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022

Not really the pick I wanted (just because what im reading on these boards) but reading this article at least seems like he wants to follow the vision management has for this team and he's on board to develop a good work ethic

Hugo have my trust and I'm willing to give them the benifts of the doubt on this coaching decision

Reactions: Draft

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
LeBlanc was not bad at all in his first year in Montreal, then Lefebvre did his magic in Hamilton.
Sure he wasn’t. He was always a fringe prospect that didn’t have a lot of talent. He didn’t look out of place on one of the worst teams in the league, but he was part of why we were one of the worst teams in the league. Never had a single elite skill.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Not really the pick I wanted (just because what im reading on these boards) but reading this article at least seems like he wants to follow the vision management has for this team and he's on board to develop a good work ethic

Hugo have my trust and I'm willing to give them the benifts of the doubt on this coaching decision
Buying into the vision is the important bit.

Pascal Vincent *with the direction of the Habs front office* seems like an ideal fit for the AHL. He wasn’t a good fit in CLB and I think that’s more of a compliment than a criticism. He’s about as proven and competent as we could possibly hope to find. Given his track record of development and sometimes competitive teams, we’re still looking at a huge upgrade over Houle and significantly less risk than rolling the dice on a junior coach.

The mistakes Vincent made with CLB are relevant to be criticized in that context, but have very little to do with how he’s historically operated his AHL clubs, his reported strengths as an assistant coach, or what we’re asking him to do in Laval. The Habs have invested way too much into this process to be totally hands-off or old school with this hire.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You can read the Portzline article, it doesn't paint Pascal Vincent as a powerless man who was unable to use his young players as he saw fit. He was complicit in their usage, lack of ice time and clearly didn't manage relationships well if they are all pissed off and unsatisfied.

His track record sucks. He comes from the same group of coaches we've had before that have pulled the same tricks.

We better hope its different in the AHL but I've seen the old school Q guys enough to know that just like Houle, when it comes to winning games, they'll go the shitty under performing vets.
Do you have a link to the article? I couldn't find it.

Thing that seems odd is that this management group has clearly demonstrated that they value and prioritize relationships... If your assessment of his player relationship ability is accurate, this would be the first really contradictory move they've made in 2+ years.

Not sure I buy that.

Either way, we'll see soon enough. Vincent will be running one of the most talented AHL prospect groups we've had in decades. If he is as bad as you suggest he is, this time next year we'll have a good sense of that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sure he wasn’t. He was always a fringe prospect that didn’t have a lot of talent. He didn’t look out of place on one of the worst teams in the league, but he was part of why we were one of the worst teams in the league. Never had a single elite skill.
Bad Pick end of story. There is absolutely nothing else to discuss in his case.
He was always going to bust no matter who got him and how good their development program was going to be.
That he got 50 games in the NHL was a testament to how bad we were becoming.
He was shit in the AHL he was shit in the NHL and he was shit when he tried Europe.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You have to remember we have an intricate structure in place now and the AHL coach is just one cog in that machine. Vincent's role is going to be well defined and he's going to work alongside a lot of other guys with a big say on specific aspects. It's a completely new situation for him, he won't get carte blanche to do what he wants in Laval, he'll have to answer to a lot of people.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Favreau is so getting poached from under our nose.

Shades of Brisebois.
That's fine, he's going to learn pro coaching elsewhere and sign with Habs/Rocket as HC once he got experience and showed he has what it got in the pro.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Favreau is so getting poached from under our nose.

Shades of Brisebois.

Yeah but we couldn't miss out on a guy that coached 20 years ago in the Q, a tenure that saw amazing coaches like Vigneault, Therrien and Julien. Development maestros.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well I guess everyone has their reasons but treatments of kids vs older guys doesn't strike me as a guy who was for letting kids play and make error ESPECIALLY in a soft environment like Columbus who he could have that. I have no doubt that my friend @417 will agree as you have to continue developing in the NHL hence you need icetime to do so. The Kent Johnson treatment was something else.

Now with extra pressure......I'm really eager to see what he will do with the kids when the going will get tough. A kid like Filip Mesar will be fun to follow under his coaching...

I'd hardly call a team that vocally wanted to make the playoffs and hired Babcock to be the head coach was a soft environment.

Vincent's usage wasn't that dissimilar to what MSL has done in Montreal. Johnson played incredibly sheltered minutes with offensive starts and being kept away from other teams top players, and he was awful defensively. He wasn't ready to play tougher minutes. The next two most sheltered players on Columbus were Fantilli (showed a ton of offensive upside, but his defensive game was a work in progress like almost every D+1 player in the NHL) and Jiricek (the guy I think he actually mishandled). Johnson and Fantilli also got substantial PP time, despite being less effective than a ton of other guys.

There was also clear improvements from young guys like Chinakov, Voronkov, etc. Vincent was FAR from being flawless, but players need to actually earn more ice time.

It feels elitist and wrong to suggest that there's extra pressure as an AHL HC than there is being an NHL HC stepping in for one of the most recognizable HC names from the last 30+ years.

Yeah but we couldn't miss out on a guy that coached 20 years ago in the Q, a tenure that saw amazing coaches like Vigneault, Therrien and Julien. Development maestros.

The QMJHL might be the 7th best development league right now, where as 20 years ago it was probably 3rd.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd hardly call a team that vocally wanted to make the playoffs and hired Babcock to be the head coach was a soft environment.

Vincent's usage wasn't that dissimilar to what MSL has done in Montreal. Johnson played incredibly sheltered minutes with offensive starts and being kept away from other teams top players, and he was awful defensively. He wasn't ready to play tougher minutes. The next two most sheltered players on Columbus were Fantilli (showed a ton of offensive upside, but his defensive game was a work in progress like almost every D+1 player in the NHL) and Jiricek (the guy I think he actually mishandled). Johnson and Fantilli also got substantial PP time, despite being less effective than a ton of other guys.

There was also clear improvements from young guys like Chinakov, Voronkov, etc. Vincent was FAR from being flawless, but players need to actually earn more ice time.

It feels elitist and wrong to suggest that there's extra pressure as an AHL HC than there is being an NHL HC stepping in for one of the most recognizable HC names from the last 30+ years.

The QMJHL might be the 7th best development league right now, where as 20 years ago it was probably 3rd.

And 20 years ago, Facebook wasn't a thing.

Here's a great user comment on The Athletic

This guy is a poster child for failing up (and then failing down, then failing back up again, then down again...). His stint with the Moose was after he was an assistant for the Jets for years - as a tactical 'eye in the sky,' which lasted a very short time, then as the PP expert during the years of a sub 15% PP, then running the forwards during their lowest scoring season in franchise history... he was Awful. It's not clear that Cheveldayoff ever knew that he was allowed to make changes, but it's not an accident that the Jets got good AFTER Pascal was demoted.

I don't really understand this character - he just sticks around despite literally never having success with a team. The last trophy he won at any level was in 1992 playing as an over-ager in the Q. He has never won any trophy as a coach in all his 23 years (why does the article say 30?). At the professional level (13 years), he has seen the playoffs twice ever - the 4 game sweep of the Jets in 2015, and a second round loss in 2018 with the Moose.

Saying that 'he' graduated a bunch of NHL quality players for the Jets is also a fantasy.

Basu lists:

Cole Perfetti - 10th overall, played 32 games under Vincent
Kyle Connor - 17th overall, a year at college, 56 games under Vincent
Logan Stanley -18th overall, 2 seasons under Vincent, still trying to establish NHL career at 26
Jack Roslovic - 25th overall, year of college, 97 games under Vincent over two years

Dylan Samberg - 42nd overall, 3 years college, 32 games under Vincent
Jansen Harkins - 47th overall, 150 games under Vincent, back in the AHL at 27
Tucker Poolman - 5th round, 3 seasons of college, 60 games under Vincent over two years
Mason Appleton - 6th round pick, 2 years college, 120 games under Vincent

He also coached guys like Kristian Vesalainen (24th overall, 88 games with Vincent) and
Eric Comrie (2nd round, 152 games under Vincent) and many more who flamed out. Kostalek, Spacek, Lipon, De Leo and on and on - guys who were late picks with promise and never made the jump from Vincent's AHL team. No one is writing to say 'Is Pascal Vincent responsible for Nic Petan not becoming a star?' I don't know the answer, but we can't say he made Kyle Connor's career while pretending the long list of guys who didn't make it aren't his fault. Good and the bad.

As you can see, the Jets like to take guys headed to college. So Vincent gets them when they are a bit older and more mature, and then the only people I think we could reasonably assume he had the chance to develop from that list are Roslovic, Harkins and Appleton. That's from 5 seasons as the Head Coach of the Moose. And contrary to Basu's assertion - the Moose top 5 scorers from his years always included 3-5 players who were AHL veterans. They were not bit players on young teams.

ALSO! The Jets have had so many problems with their young players arriving too raw - such as Perfetti and Logan Stanley! Both are still trying to nail down full-time jobs with the Jets precisely because they lack the 'professional polish' to their game that an AHL development coach with NHL experience might offer. Other examples include Sami Niku, Ville Heinola, or David Gustafsson - guys who made the jump but can't make an impact at the NHL level. We can say it's talent, not coaching. Fine, but then he doesn't get credit for a handful of 1st round picks making it to the NHL.

I know it seems like I'm this guy's biographer, but seriously - how does he NEVER suffer any of the blame for his poor work outcomes??? CBJ was a mess, no doubt. But we're talking about a guy who was 52 years old with over 20 years coaching experience, who had been an Assistant Coach with that same CBJ team for two previous years and he gave a press conference comparing their top prospects wanting to get NHL experience (and paycheques) to his 13 year old daughter wanting a new phone.

How much more learning did he need to know that was infantilizing and demeaning toward these 20 year old ELITE ATHLETES who gave up their childhoods to pursue excellence in their dreams?? He'd known those young men since the day they started with the Blue Jackets, had been at the draft table, had been at the development camps and pre-seasons with them. If I mocked my newest, youngest, and most valued employees publicly - people I helped to on-board into the company - I'd be fired for creating a hostile working environment. When does PV get held accountable for his ridiculous behaviour??

The guy is a bad technical coach with a 'bro' attitude, no education, who shows no special appreciation of what it means to be an NHL prospect, who has never won anything ever as a coach. What is it about this guy that NHL teams don't run screaming from?

Reactions: MadMslm

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Bad Pick end of story. There is absolutely nothing else to discuss in his case.
He was always going to bust no matter who got him and how good their development program was going to be.
That he got 50 games in the NHL was a testament to how bad we were becoming.
He was shit in the AHL he was shit in the NHL and he was shit when he tried Europe.
He blew up his knee during a fight with Jesse Blacker and was never close to be the same after that. Leblanc absolutely could've carved a 3rd line winger who can take faceoffs career without that (though I reckon that would've required him to bulk up a bit).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad