Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Laval Rocket Head Coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
take a look at TB's drafting from '08 till the '18 draft. Then look at their drafting since....
Brisebois’ draft record is horrible, largely because they seldom have a first rounder thanks to more fine work by Brisebois.

He’s destroyed that team imo,

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Detroit is progressing fine. Ken Holland left them in a mess and they’ve made progress every season. They also have a great prospect pool, despite having bad luck at the draft lottery,

Your bias is showing, or your lack of understanding.

He's given some pretty bad contracts in Detroit.

Walman, Fabbri, Copp, Chiarot, Holl...

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Brisebois’ draft record is horrible, largely because they seldom have a first rounder thanks to more fine work by Brisebois.

He’s destroyed that team imo,

I hope Hughes destroys the team too if it's directly related to two cup wins and three straight finals. Brisebois overpaid for needs, but what's an overpay with the results he got ?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I hope Hughes destroys the team too if it's directly related to two cup wins and three straight finals. Brisebois overpaid for needs, but what's an overpay with the results he got ?
Agreed...

Brisebois inherited a golden ticket that he cashed in for 2 cups. That he's made a bunch of bad decisions in the process might well justify not wanting to hire the guy later on (see Holland, Ken), doesn't diminish that.

As awful as Bergevin was, had Price found a way to squeeze out a few more Was on that finals run, he'd be sitting next to Perron as a winner in the Habs pantheon instead of next to Houle in the nosebleed section.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Agreed...

Brisebois inherited a golden ticket that he cashed in for 2 cups. That he's made a bunch of bad decisions in the process might well justify not wanting to hire the guy later on (see Holland, Ken), doesn't diminish that.

As awful as Bergevin was, had Price found a way to squeeze out a few more Was on that finals run, he'd be sitting next to Perron as a winner in the Habs pantheon instead of next to Houle in the nosebleed section.

I actually wish MB did what JBB, sell the farm to acquire the missing pieces. As much as he told us it was impossible, many players became available during his tenure. You're not going to build a team through late firsts or seconds in any case, so trade them and go for it. At some point, the present takes precedence.

Reactions: Miller Time

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
South Shore
I actually wish MB did what JBB, sell the farm to acquire the missing pieces. As much as he told us it was impossible, many players became available during his tenure. You're not going to build a team through late firsts or seconds in any case, so trade them and go for it. At some point, the present takes precedence.

Another example of a team selling the farm without hesitation is Vegas . There is a shiny new toy on the market? You can be sure Vegas is on it and that their prospects are sent packing.​

• Love
Reactions: the and Andrei79

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What TB did at the draft was just so impressive, in 2 years they got Stamkos/Hedman - over 2000 NHL games and over 1800 pts between them. Talk about hitting it out of the park. Then the next 2 years they get Kucherov and Palat who have over 1300 pts between them and they follow that up with Vasilevskiy. Adding that much high end talent and then Point and you got yourself one heck of a group of stars to work with.

But things seem to have started to go south for the drafting in those final years that Yzerman was there, plus they made some big mistakes thankfully with Drouin at 3rd OA, Koekkoek at 10th OA, D'Angelo at 19th OA, Connolly at 6th OA, Foote at 14th OA, or else they could have been unstoppable if say they got Pasternak instead of D'Angelo. Plus a shrewd trade for Sergachev to fix the Drouin mistake, I know he's put up over 300 pts but for 3rd OA they could have done a lot better despite it not being a great draft class overall that year.

They have made some good moves and it got them cups but they could be in real trouble if they don't get their drafting back on track.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Brisebois could’ve done nothing and won two cups.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He's given some pretty bad contracts in Detroit.

Walman, Fabbri, Copp, Chiarot, Holl...
Every GM does that. None of them set the rebuild back. Detroit has made steady progress every year in the actual standings and has a very solid prospect pool at the same time. He’s done a very good job there. Detroit was in worse shape than we were when he took over.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
They were swept the year before, so this is speculation at best. What happened is he had needs to address and did it, even if it cost draft capital. Then, they won.
Let’s agree to disagree. All young teams have struggles before they take it all. Even, Habs, oilers and islanders dynasty teams. That was a natural evolution of their core. Happens over and over and over and over again.

That’s like giving Treviling the credit if Toronto wins it all.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Let’s agree to disagree. All young teams have struggles before they take it all. Even, Habs, oilers and islanders dynasty teams. That was a natural evolution of their core. Happens over and over and over and over again.

That’s like giving Treviling the credit if Toronto wins it all.

One thing though is that Brisebois was there and had a key role through the whole building process. He's the one who was responsible for the Cooper hire. I think his departure hurt Montreal too. I can't hold it against a manager who goes all in at the right time and succeeds.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
One thing though is that Brisebois was there and had a key role through the whole building process. He's the one who was responsible for the Cooper hire. I think his departure hurt Montreal too. I can't hold it against a manager who goes all in at the right time and succeeds.
I don’t hold it against him. I just don’t think his moves were all that integral towards the teams success. They were a developing powerhouse, it was only a matter of time. He has since run the team into the ground imo..

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What TB did at the draft was just so impressive, in 2 years they got Stamkos/Hedman - over 2000 NHL games and over 1800 pts between them. Talk about hitting it out of the park. Then the next 2 years they get Kucherov and Palat who have over 1300 pts between them and they follow that up with Vasilevskiy. Adding that much high end talent and then Point and you got yourself one heck of a group of stars to work with.

But things seem to have started to go south for the drafting in those final years that Yzerman was there, plus they made some big mistakes thankfully with Drouin at 3rd OA, Koekkoek at 10th OA, D'Angelo at 19th OA, Connolly at 6th OA, Foote at 14th OA, or else they could have been unstoppable if say they got Pasternak instead of D'Angelo. Plus a shrewd trade for Sergachev to fix the Drouin mistake, I know he's put up over 300 pts but for 3rd OA they could have done a lot better despite it not being a great draft class overall that year.

They have made some good moves and it got them cups but they could be in real trouble if they don't get their drafting back on track.

- Stamkos and Hedman were consensus no brainers where they were selected.
- They took fellow Russian Namestnikov ahead of Kucherov who nearly fell to the 3rd round but was on everyone's radar at that point
- Palat was nothing more than a lucky dart toss in the 7th round
- Vasileskiy was a risky pick as there is just no way to accurately project goaltenders but it worked out so I will nod my head to them.
- Point was picked behind two 2nd rounders that they grossly missed on and never played a game in the NHL....they believed they were better than Point.

All of this to say that they were hardly accurately identifying and pinpointing top talent as they themselves selected players ahead of Point, Kucherov and Palat who proved to be wildly inferiror despite the fact their scouts clearly liked them better. Hedman and Stamkos just don't count as it is possible that every team in the NHL would have made the same selections and very likely that the majority would have done so.

The only pick that looks like they identified the correct player despite a plethora of options and did not pick a bum before him is Vasilevskiy and he wasn't any more hyped than plenty of other top goalie prospects who went that high and bombed. Goalies are always lucky selections and they hit on this one.

Luck and picking 1st/2nd OA played a prominent role in their succesful selections and it would appear that their luck has run out which is what you would expect given the random nature of clustering in luck based models. I don't know anyone in that organization deserves accolades for the past of criticism for the present as they appear to simply be middle of the road and dependent on good fortune when the pick is not a consensus slam dunk.

It is also extremely unfair to compare their 2008-18 drafts to subsequent drafts as they have only had two first round picks since 2018 and they were 27 and 31 OA.

TB's 1st selection in every year since 2018 from highest to lowest

They simply haven't gotten lucky like they did with Point, Kucherov, Palat and Cirelli although the jury is still very much out on the more recent selections.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdk

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Am I reading into Hughes presser they may have overridden this guy’s opinion on Laine? He old school?
They would obviously have asked him about Laine and by most accounts they didnt have the best coach/player relationship ever. I don't know how bad it really got though, I doubt Vincent would get much of a say on the trade anyway.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
They would obviously have asked him about Laine and by most accounts they didnt have the best coach/player relationship ever. I don't know how bad it really got though, I doubt Vincent would get much of a say on the trade anyway.

Yeah, I think it's just some dumbasses from french medias who decided to pull up his name cause he's from Quebec, otherwise he probably wouldn't have been mentioned in the presser anyway.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Whose account? Because everything I've read says they actually had a very good relationship.

Reactions: Vachon23

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
When did he said that ??
Hughes presser from yesterday… Guy used to be his coach, benched him so reporters asked and Hughes declined to answer. Curious about what type of coach he is and if it’s just a nothing burger out of confidentiality.

13:03, 2nd question about it (don’t go by youtube generated subtitles lol it’s making up a language)

Jean François Chaumont

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad