Parise who? Is Clarkson becoming a legit first line winger?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
anyone have a gif(or whatever) of Clarkson putting the puck in the Islander net after the whistle from a couple games back.

Thought that was awesome.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lololol. Clarkson is not and never will be a 1st line winger. He's not even close to Zach as far as the impact he makes on the ice. He's off to a nice start but he will never ever be a Parise replacement.

But when that "nice start" is on the heels of a 30 goal season(1 less then zachy poo) I don't think we should laugh off the possibilities.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
a little simple math.

30 teams, 30 top lines, 3 players per line. That's 90 top line players in the league.

Clarkson was in the top 30 of goals scored last year. Yet guys laugh at the proposition of him as a top line player. Think he's better suited for 3rd line?

Devils fans need to get over the idea of Clarkson as a scrappy guy who can't skate and chips in a goal here and there.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But when that "nice start" is on the heels of a 30 goal season(1 less then zachy poo) I don't think we should laugh off the possibilities.

If anyone wants to believe Clarkson is anywhere near the player Parise is so be it. Just understand I will from then on view you as crazy. Clarkson simply is not and never will be as good as Zach. He's not as talented, not nearly as good a skater, doesn't have a great shot, generally does not face opponents best defense pairings or forwards, not as good a passer, and not as tenacious; simply not as good.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'd be okay with him on the 2nd line, but I'm not sure about 1st line. He is definitely proving to be a much more valuable player than I originally thought he'd be, thats for sure

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
If anyone wants to believe Clarkson is anywhere near the player Parise is so be it. Just understand I will from then on view you as crazy. Clarkson simply is not and never will be as good as Zach. He's not as talented, not nearly as good a skater, doesn't have a great shot, generally does not face opponents best defense pairings or forwards, not as good a passer, and not as tenacious; simply not as good.

Clarkson is basically a possession machine and a garbageman. Although he does get off the odd beautiful shot which makes you scratch your head.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Zach was great around the net, good skater, certainly tenacious, but he did not have a great shot, wasn't a great passer.

Is Clarkson as good? Nah. But did he, playing with nowhere near the talent that Zach did,(not to mention less ice time and pp time) score 1 less goal last year? yup.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Don't get me wrong. I love Clarkson and what he brings as a player, but I'd much rather have a Parise on my team than a Clarkson. Parise is a much more impactful player because he is better in every aspect of the game.

And while zachs shot might not be elite, its much better than Clarksons. Don't forget Zach always faced the best competition while Clarkson faced 2nd and 3rd liners primarily.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clarkson is more of a clutch player than Parise. Not talking in the playoffs (David was revealed to have been playing with a broken foot) but how many times did we see Clarkson score a big goal last year that was much more meaningful than Parise? That tying goal against the Rangers last year comes to mind, as ridiculous as that bounce was.

Not saying he's better than Parise. Though he does have that knack for much more timely goals.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Most any player has more of a knack for scoring clutch goals than Zach. He tended to dissapear come playoff time I'll give you that.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Would be great to still have Zach on this team, no doubt about it. Very underrated playmaker, I might add. Dished out some beauties last season. Was a bizarre summer seeing him leave. Threw away the captaincy from the team that drafted him and put him in a spot to succeed. Oh well.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would be great to still have Zach on this team, no doubt about it. Very underrated playmaker, I might add. Dished out some beauties last season. Was a bizarre summer seeing him leave. Threw away the captaincy from the team that drafted him and put him in a spot to succeed. Oh well.

I think we're a Cup contender again with him on this team right now. All in all my biggest worry about him leaving was what were we gonna do to replace his production? Give Tedenby the chance to do it? My worst nightmare came true and we did try exactly that.:help:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Clarkson is more of a clutch player than Parise. Not talking in the playoffs (David was revealed to have been playing with a broken foot) but how many times did we see Clarkson score a big goal last year that was much more meaningful than Parise? That tying goal against the Rangers last year comes to mind, as ridiculous as that bounce was.

Not saying he's better than Parise. Though he does have that knack for much more timely goals.

Imagine if we had a healthy Clarkson and Kovy in the Finals?? What could have been??

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

7 game winners for Clarkson last year, compared to Zach's 3. Clarkson also has him double up this year t 2 to 1.

Surprisingly Clarkson also produced more on the power play last year with 8 goals and 8 assists, compared to Zach's 7 and 7.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I think we're a Cup contender again with him on this team right now. All in all my biggest worry about him leaving was what were we gonna do to replace his production? Give Tedenby the chance to do it? My worst nightmare came true and we did try exactly that.:help:

Agreed. Although he didn't necessarily come through in the biggest moments all the time, he was really the engine that drove our forecheck. Still enjoy watching the guy play for the Wild but would absolutely love if the Devils won a cup in the next couple of seasons to rub it in his face. Although he's set for life with his current contract, you know it would eat him up inside if the Devils go on a successful run soon.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

That was a half hearted effort by the Devils. Threw it at the wall it didn't stick.

But I think the clear replacement for Zach, or at least the way we were to upgrade our fwd corps, would be via trade. Defensemen for a fwd was, and continues to be the obvious move.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

ive been ringing this same bell since jump street as well. some of the trade suggestions arent bad per se, but replacing his productivity they wont cut it. and teddy, well, at least hes adorable.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Zach was great around the net, good skater, certainly tenacious, but he did not have a great shot, wasn't a great passer.

Is Clarkson as good? Nah. But did he, playing with nowhere near the talent that Zach did,(not to mention less ice time and pp time) score 1 less goal last year? yup.

Whoa whoa whoa. Parise is an EXCELLENT passer. His playmaking was a real underrated aspect of his game.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed. Although he didn't necessarily come through in the biggest moments all the time, he was really the engine that drove our forecheck. Still enjoy watching the guy play for the Wild but would absolutely love if the Devils won a cup in the next couple of seasons to rub it in his face. Although he's set for life with his current contract, you know it would eat him up inside if the Devils go on a successful run soon.

After comparing the way our season has started to theirs, I think he would have been better off with us but the jury is still out. There have already been at least 2 games where they lost that they scored just a goal, and he was the lone goal scorer. I think there may have also been a game where they won 1-0 where he was the only goal scorer. They were winning a lot of close low scoring games early last season as well, but it didn't last.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Asking if Clarkson can replace Parise's spot in the lineup is one thing...

...trying to compare the two as players just kind of makes my head hurt.

Not to say that Clarkson isn't a completely valuable player and rare commodity that should be heralded on the team, but it's not a fair comparison at all.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm just tired of this ''Clarkson belongs on the 3rd line'' stuff. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have the depth to put him back there, and I don't think he'll keep up this current streak he's on. I just don't know whats wrong with him on the 2nd line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Whoa whoa whoa. Parise is an EXCELLENT passer. His playmaking was a real underrated aspect of his game.

Good playmaker. Not a great playmaker. I think Elias is pretty clearly a better playmaker, yet still would not call him a great playmaker.

And it should be noted I'm defending Clarkson here so I'm taking some shots at the dear departed one.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm just tired of this ''Clarkson belongs on the 3rd line'' stuff. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have the depth to put him back there, and I don't think he'll keep up this current streak he's on. I just don't know whats wrong with him on the 2nd line.

I'm with ya buddy.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

I don't think anyone has a problem with him on the second line.. this is twice he's excelled with Elias as a linemate. He produces on the second line and there's no denying that.
As I said before, though, he is the PERFECT third liner. A true compliment on the 2nd line, but in a perfect world, he's on the 3rd.

Good playmaker. Not a great playmaker. I think Elias is pretty clearly a better playmaker, yet still would not call him a great playmaker.

I don't know how to describe it, I wouldn't call him a play maker.
But he's really good at driving the play. He's one of the best at keeping pucks alive and keeping the play moving so sustain pressure.

Not because of great passing ability, but because of how relentless he attacks the puck. That's the part of his game that elevates all the rest of his skills.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
After comparing the way our season has started to theirs, I think he would have been better off with us but the jury is still out. There have already been at least 2 games where they lost that they scored just a goal, and he was the lone goal scorer. I think there may have also been a game where they won 1-0 where he was the only goal scorer. They were winning a lot of close low scoring games early last season as well, but it didn't last.

I don't think there's any question Parise would have had a better start here. Parise - Zajac - Kovalchuk to start the season PLUS moving Zubrus down to the second or third line where he's more suited? This team would look GREAT.

I'm glad we didn't keep Parise at that length, but he would fix almost all of our forward problems this and next season if he had stayed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad