GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The funding counts are usually bs because they don't take into account Canada having some of the best facilities on the planet. Canada as much or more than any country on Earth builds rec facilities, even for popular use, for everybody, that are gold standard facilities.

Canada's indoor facilities so good that South American Football teams have fairly routinely stayed here to train in our facilities when playing exhibitions/. tournaments here and such. Just as example.

Just in the City of Edmonton alone we have so many World Class training facilities and starting with places like Kinsmen. Most countries in world have less facilities than Edmonton or Alberta alone have. Of course training facilities and world class facilities are part of the convo of what we can expect, and should be. Few nations on Earth build so many of these fantastic facilities.
That argument is mitigated by the fact that a lot of top athletes from other less developed places train abroad anyways because they get the funding from their countries to do so.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That argument is mitigated by the fact that a lot of top athletes from other less developed places train abroad anyways because they get the funding from their countries to do so.
This whole exchange is mitigated by our contractual obligation to argue every point about anything. hehe

joking aside Canada does the same thing. For instance all our winter skiers train extensively, compete extensively in Europe despite Canada have comparable facilities, comparable mountains, winter, etc. Even when it doesn't make total sense we send and pay for our Athletes to be sent packing to Europe or some such place for months of the year.

I think more of a concept is that athletes from less developed countries maybe make do with less even when travelling abroad. For instance don't need 4 and 5 star hotels and such. lets not pretend either that most of the Canadian Athletes are not rich or come from privilege. Many of our athletes, nearly all, can focus on their one endeavor fulltime and don't need to work or do anything else. Not the case of course for most athletes and countries.

Success then being a multifactorial result based on many things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Damn, Ahmed 4th in the 10km. An absolute sprint by a half dozen guys in the final lap.
What a clusterf*** the commentary was for that race. For the last several laps they were saying the Ugandan had been lapped and should be moving out of the way. I was surprised to see him stop running instead of finishing another lap at the end.
Ahmed was interfered with by that tall Ethiopian runner 3 times having to fight off him grabbing him. The last time I thought he was just going to trip him.

Reactions: oilers'72

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The funding counts are usually bs because they don't take into account Canada having some of the best facilities on the planet. Canada as much or more than any country on Earth builds rec facilities, even for popular use, for everybody, that are gold standard facilities.

Canada's indoor facilities so good that South American teams have fairly routinely stayed here to train in our facilities when playing exhibitions/. tournaments here and such. Just as example.

Just in the City of Edmonton alone we have so many World Class training facilities and starting with places like Kinsmen. Most countries in world have less facilities than Edmonton or Alberta alone have. Of course training facilities and world class facilities are part of the convo of what we can expect, and should be. Few nations on Earth build so many of these fantastic facilities.
I think at the end of the day there's a reason why Canada does so much better at the winter games than summer despite far less athletes. Less competition and more access to winter. Summer is also much more difficult because of the sheer amount of athletes and Countries. These Paris Olympics have over 10, 000 athletes. The last winter Olympics had roughly 2800. 3x less. lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think at the end of the day there's a reason why Canada does so much better at the winter games than summer despite far less athletes. Less competition and more access to winter. Summer is also much more difficult because of the sheer amount of athletes and Countries. These Paris Olympics have over 10, 000 athletes. The last winter Olympics had roughly 2800. 3x less. lol.
Yes. No argument there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The funding for Canadian athletes has only recently started to increase. What we are seeing now is the lag time between cause and effect. It takes decades of sustained support to develop strong programs and consistently produce top athletes in a discipline. We are starting to see the results but it’ll takes decades more of sustained support to really reap the fruits.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The funding for Canadian athletes has only recently started to increase. What we are seeing now is the lag time between cause and effect. It takes decades of sustained support to develop strong programs and consistently produce top athletes in a discipline. We are starting to see the results but it’ll takes decades more of sustained support to really reap the fruits.
This has been the kind of message for over 50yrs. Really the gain the podium type programs started well before the 76 Summer Olympics, so for 50yrs this has been the message. Another view is that Summer McIntosh IS Team Canada. She has a full 2/3 of our gold medals and over 25% of our overall haul. She would have more if we could stitch some other decent swimmers in for the relays.

Without the astounding success of Summer McIntosh, not even 18yrs old, how are we doing?

Would be interested to see more rundowns of achieved vs expected medals. This is so able to be statistically predicted and gives a real view on expected results based on precedent events and world positions leading up to Olympics vs what the podium results look like for Canada.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I finally got around to reading the 3-on-3 basketball rules. I don't understand why they are written to prevent the best players in the world from competing in the Olympics. It's just as bad as race walking.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
This has been the kind of message for over 50yrs. Really the gain the podium type programs started well before the 76 Summer Olympics, so for 50yrs this has been the message. Another view is that Summer McIntosh IS Team Canada. She has a full 2/3 of our gold medals and over 25% of our overall haul. She would have more if we could stitch some other decent swimmers in for the relays.

Without the astounding success of Summer McIntosh, not even 18yrs old, how are we doing?

Would be interested to see more rundowns of achieved vs expected medals. This is so able to be statistically predicted and gives a real view on expected results based on precedent events and world positions leading up to Olympics vs what the podium results look like for Canada.
Our other gold medalist is Japanese and trains in Japan. Although, I've read she also trains in lethbridge. So maybe, she does train in Canada now.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
This has been the kind of message for over 50yrs. Really the gain the podium type programs started well before the 76 Summer Olympics, so for 50yrs this has been the message. Another view is that Summer McIntosh IS Team Canada. She has a full 2/3 of our goal medals and over 25% of our overall haul. She would have more if we could stitch some other decent swimmers in for the relays.

Had no idea the "Own the podium" or similar program started before 1976. I thought it started in the 90s. Canada had a poor showing in Montreal and Calgary which led to some pressure to fund our athletes better.
As a result, a government financial program was set up to target funds to the athletes with the best chances to win a medal. That's how I understand it. Not sure if that program has been modified at all though since.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
3.5mths of summer?

Look, most summer Olympic sports training outdoors can occur easily for 6mths of the year. We also have outstanding indoor facilities and among the best on the planet for pretty much all sports.

Next, whenever this argument is made it forgets that many regions of the world several months of the year are too hot to train. Canada could be considered almost an ideal country in which to be an athlete and ideally suited for Winter or Summer. I don't buy the argument that climate in a temperate region is a huge disadvantage.

Not sure how the coastlines argument even features. Did this prevent Russia from being an Olympics Superpower, or East Germany. etc.
The coastlines is a funny argument regardless (what does that have to do with anything, really?), but your DDR example is a bit off. Berlin to the Baltic coast is 2 hours by car. Dresden (most southernly big city in former East Germany) is 4. It's not exactly like it was a landlocked country with no easy access to the sea.

That aside, I'm happy with where Canada tends to place in the Olympics. Australia is an aberration and not the standard to compare ourselves to IMO. Besides, we're in a pretty rare position amongst countries that actually perform well in both summer and winter games. Look at the Nordics or Switzerland and Austria for example -pretty mediocre showing so far. Similarly, GB and Australia are basically only competitive in the Summer. That leaves us with the superpowers and then France, Japan, Germany, maybe Italy who traditionally tend to do well in both Olympics. I'd say that's pretty good company to be in.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Had no idea the "Own the podium" or similar program started before 1976. I thought it started in the 90s. Canada had a poor showing in Montreal and Calgary which led to some pressure to fund our athletes better.
As a result, a government financial program was set up to target funds to the athletes with the best chances to win a medal. That's how I understand it. Not sure if that program has been modified at all though since.
I don't think the person you quoted has any idea either.... the 'own the podium' was for Vancouver in 2010. It started the Olympics before that because we had some weak showing for an Olympics we were about to host. Thats my idea anyway...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I finally got around to reading the 3-on-3 basketball rules. I don't understand why they are written to prevent the best players in the world from competing in the Olympics. It's just as bad as race walking.
It’s been an odd event to watch too. I’ve seen the Canadian women play 3 of their games so far and the shooting from both teams has been so terrible (think Shaquille O’Neal at the free throw line level) that I’ve wondered how these players got into the Olympics. I can see the potential for the sport but the athletes performances themselves have looked far from elite.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I don't think the person you quoted has any idea either.... the 'own the podium' was for Vancouver in 2010. It started the Olympics before that because we had some weak showing for an Olympics we were about to host. Thats my idea anyway...
Ok.."Own the Podium" was established forr the winter Olympics for Vancouver and " Road to Excellence" was for the summer Olympics for the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. Established in 2005 and 2006 respectively. Both came as a result of the poor showings in Montreal and Calgary as hosts.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Ok.."Own the Podium" was established forr the winter Olympics for Vancouver and " Road to Excellence" was for the summer Olympics for the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. Established in 2005 and 2006 respectively. Both came as a result of the poor showings in Montreal and Calgary as hosts.
That sounds more accurate than 1970 something

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It’s been an odd event to watch too. I’ve seen the Canadian women play 3 of their games so far and the shooting from both teams has been so terrible (think Shaquille O’Neal at the free throw line level) that I’ve wondered how these players got into the Olympics. I can see the potential for the sport but the athletes performances themselves have looked far from elite.
Players have to had played in a certain number of 3v3 pre-Olympics tournaments, many of which contrast with the professional basketball season. So, nobody who is a current professional basketball player is likely to qualify. Plus, the basketball is a different size, so no professional would be willing to mess up their muscle memory for shooting an NBA ball to play regularly with an official 3v3 one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That specific vernacular was not used in 76 but similar platitudes were. The exercise of striving for medals had its impetus leading up to the hosting of 1976 Olympics and then again hosting the Winter Olympics in 88. In anycase Canada has been striving and investing for a long long time to be a medaling nation. I think the main critique is how much Canada currently streamlines so that funding is based on likelihood of success and athletes likely to have some success rather than the carte blanche it once was. Today perhaps more than prior Olympics we make athletes prove it in performane and precedents before sending them over.

For awhile last millenium it sometimes seemed like Canada was just sending the largest contingency it could, and that changed, and that was inefficient and could be argued a waste of funds. Funding much more targeted now.

He was talking about “participaction” that was introduced to regular Canadians in the 70’s. It promoted physical fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
Exactly. I liked the program, thought it was a success.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That specific vernacular was not used in 76 but similar platitudes were. The exercise of striving for medals had its impetus leading up to the hosting of 1976 Olympics and then again hosting the Winter Olympics in 88. In anycase Canada has been striving and investing for a long long time to be a medaling nation. I think the main critique is how much Canada currently streamlines so that funding is based on likelihood of success and athletes likely to have some success rather than the carte blanche it once was. Today perhaps more than prior Olympics we make athletes prove it in performane and precedents before sending them over.

For awhile last millenium it sometimes seemed like Canada was just sending the largest contingency it could, and that changed, and that was inefficient and could be argued a waste of funds. Funding much more targeted now.
You were right about how tough the standards to achieve those awards were. I was a good athlete back then who played numerous sports and was always one of the better players on every team. I can remember doing that program for about 4 years in phys ed and never achieving better than bronze. That would never fly today, lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Pay attention to my wording. It wasn't inaccurate in anyway.

I stated: "This has been the kind of message for over 50yrs. Really the gain the podium type programs started well before the 76 Summer Olympics"

The impetus to get Canada more competitive started very grass roots with Participaction, with revolutionizing Phys-ed approaches and making it fun, striving to get kids involved, Missives like putting the fun in fundamentals and constant advertising. They had exercise advertisements on regularly.

Fundign for athletes of course was made a priority prior to the 76 Olympics. It wasn't the intent to get zero golds and limited medals. The program took awhile to find some success. Still, Greg Joy was one of the best Canada olympics stories ever.

You were right about how tough the standards to achieve those awards were. I was a good athlete back then who played numerous sports and was always one of the better players on every team. I can remember doing that program for about 4 years in phys ed and never achieving better than bronze. That would never fly today, lol.
I never got gold but had Silver and Bronze patches. I was lucky and naturally gifted. I could do situps like crazy as a kid. Decent on the arm pull and a pretty good runner. I remember doing chin ups and that being hard to get the medal for that.

In our neighborhood we were always running around or playing or cycling or whatever so the athleticism came easy. Sitting in a class for several hours a day came hard. I was the type that always wanted to be outside, still am.

To think we used to get detention or the strap for playing soccer outside and not wanting to come in and wanting to play longer. We would stay out an hour longer just playing and we'd get sent to the office for it. Was worth it on a nice day. The same thing today, kids would be recognized as having ADHD or extra stimulated or whatever and would have some programming to facilitate and encourage that extra energy.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Pay attention to my wording. It wasn't inaccurate in anyway.

I stated: "This has been the kind of message for over 50yrs. Really the gain the podium type programs started well before the 76 Summer Olympics"

The impetus to get Canada more competitive started very grass roots with Participaction, with revolutionizing Phys-ed approaches and making it fun, striving to get kids involved, Missives like putting the fun in fundamentals and constant advertising. They had exercise advertisements on regularly.

Fundign for athletes of course was made a priority prior to the 76 Olympics. It wasn't the intent to get zero golds and limited medals. The program took awhile to find some success. Still, Greg Joy was one of the best Canada olympics stories ever.
The idea has been around since the 70’s. it’s just been rebranded every decade or two to re-energize the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium