GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
They have no say in the conduct of the coaching staff. Westheads reporting was on the mens team, not the women. Also, it's quite a common thing and not really that big deal. It's funny to read articles about how us soccer knew Canada was spying but they themselves were doing it in Qatar. Our stupid staff was just dumb enough to fly their drone in an illegal air space.

It's a real nonstory that has been blown out of proportion here. The staff should and will be fired and Canada Soccer gets further exposed as the incompetent bunch they are.

None of this is on the players and even they will tell you, spying on a practice doesn't give you an advantage on the pitch. It's just a bunch of insecure coaches trying to maximize their "edge."

Like I noted about - it's such a non-story there are literally over 7 stories per day on average that are more interesting to the average soccer fan worldwide, if you go by the last 30 days on Reddit.

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Oh yeah, I phrase it poorly I think - if we win we're in, if we lose we're out. I think there's an outside shot we're in if we tie Columbia assuming NZ beats France with tie breakers - but that's unlikely.

I don't even think they're facing any stigma or shame outside of our own media cannibalizing them for clicks. Put it this way - if you rank the post by engagement - say by using a neutral third party up vote system main soccer subreddit page sorted by top in the last month - the Canadian Drone spying story isn't even in the top 200 posts of the last month.

😂

If we tie Colombia we finish with 1 point. Nobody makes it out of group stage with 1 point. If we beat Colombia, both teams finish with 3 points but Canada advances on goal differential finishing second in the group.

Reactions: oilers'72 and AM

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If we tie Colombia we finish with 1 point. Nobody makes it out of group stage with 1 point. If we beat Colombia, both teams finish with 3 points but Canada advances on goal differential finishing second in the group.

If we beat Columbia watch the corrupt IOC come up with some bizarre never heard of rule they made up on the fly a la Gary Bettman to prevent Canada from moving on.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If we beat Columbia watch the corrupt IOC come up with some bizarre never heard of rule they made up on the fly a la Gary Bettman to prevent Canada from moving on.
I thought of this too if Canada launched an appeal to have that 6 points reduced. I could see FIFA denying that appeal and increasing the points now that it would appear 6 might not be enough to end their tournament.

Summer McIntosh with her first gold and second medal.

Crushed the field.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I always end up watching some sport I've never watched before or only watch at the olympics.

It is kind of the beauty of the Olympics. Support athletes you've never heard of or barely hear of.

Yeah I agree. As much as I hate the corrupt, on the take IOC and Russian systemic doping but athletes still being able to compete as “neutral”, I do like watching the competitions and like seeing young athletes achieving a lifelong dream, especially when they are underdogs and weren’t expected to medal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I had wicked insomnia last night so watched skateboarding for 2 hours. I had no clue that was even an Olympic sport.
I watched it for a few minutes, thinking it was going to be some cool vert stuff, and it was literally just the athletes doing a grind. I mean, cool I guess. I can't do it, so good on them. But it sure isn't as exciting as it sounds.

Yeah I agree. As much as I hate the corrupt, on the take IOC and Russian systemic doping but athletes still being able to compete as “neutral”, I do like watching the competitions and like seeing young athletes achieving a lifelong dream, especially when they are underdogs and weren’t expected to medal.
I never care about a sport quite as much as I care about the success of our canoeing and kayaking, swimming, and diving teams once every 4 years. Soccer too I guess, although I care about the World Cup and watched the last of the last Americas tournament a few weeks ago.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I watched it for a few minutes, thinking it was going to be some cool vert stuff, and it was literally just the athletes doing a grind. I mean, cool I guess. I can't do it, so good on them. But it sure isn't as exciting as it sounds.

I never care about a sport quite as much as I care about the success of our canoeing and kayaking, swimming, and diving teams once every 4 years. Soccer too I guess, although I care about the World Cup and watched the last of the last Americas tournament a few weeks ago.

One skateboarder made this insane flippy jump. I can barely walk in a straight line so even the most basic tricks impress me!

Love the rowing and swimming! And women’s beach volleyball. I mean, who can’t not watch that!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But it just reduces the available margin of error i.e. losses they can have then, correct?
If the 6 point deduction remains then they have to win their final game in the group stage.

If it’s only a 3 point reduction I believe there are scenarios where they can tie or lose and advance.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
3 points for a win and 1 point for a tie in the group stage.
So basically you could win all 3 games and just be credited for one win and be the 3rd place team in the pool and have to get a Wildcard spot to advance and hope for a lot of draws in your pool as well?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
One skateboarder made this insane flippy jump. I can barely walk in a straight line so even the most basic tricks impress me!

Love the rowing and swimming! And women’s beach volleyball. I mean, who can’t not watch that!
Have you been drinking all those times you’re trying to walk in a straight line?

But it just reduces the available margin of error i.e. losses they can have then, correct?
Yes it eliminated all margin of error. They now need to win all 3 group games to advance which is pretty damn rare.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So basically you could win all 3 games and just be credited for one win and be the 3rd place team in the pool and have to get a Wildcard spot to advance and hope for a lot of draws in your pool as well?
Right now as it stands if they win their final game they will advance. They’ve already won the first two.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Can they still take gold with a 3 point deduction if the stars align?
This is what I believe the rules are. All that really matters right now is getting to the next round. They can move forward if they beat Colombia even with the 6 point deduction, as we would have 3 points (as would Colombia), and the tie breaker vs Colombia (I believe the tie breaker is goal differential, but we would have the tie breaker anyway). Only NZ appears to be out of the next round, unless they upset France and do so with a lopsided score, to help with their goal differential (-3 right now).

Now, if we lose to Colombia, we will need to have our punishment reduced to 3 points, and hope NZ upsets France to be 2nd and get through for sure, as we would be tied with France and NZ but would still have the goal differential tie-breaker. I'm not confident that the IOC would change their ruling if it meant the host nation doesn't go through to the next round.

We could still get through if we finish in 3rd place in the pool as well, which again, would rely on our having our 6 point penalty reduced to 3. The top two of the three 3rd place teams get through to the knockout round. Right now, that's Australia, Brazil and Canada have the 3rd place spots in each division, although we are down on points, so we need that penalty reduction to be considered. If we got the reduction, we would be ahead of both Australia (GD -2) and Brazil (GD 0) - although the third place teams could still change in those pools. If Australia beats Zambia and Germany loses to the US, then Germany is 3rd (current GD is 0). Either Brazil or Japan could end up 3rd, as they are tied in points, but their last game is head to head, so that game will determine who is 2nd and who is 3rd. Both squads have a goal differential of 0 right now.

Summary
1) We beat Colombia and we make it through regardless.
2) We lose to Colombia and receive point penalty reduction from 6 to 3, we can finish 2nd in the pool only if NZ beats France.
3) We lose to Colombia and receive a point penalty reduction from 6 to 3, we are likely (not guaranteed, but probable) to finish with one of the "Wild Card" spots ahead of the loser of Brazil/Japan even if France beats NZ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauf4Prez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad