GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I’ve seen European teams sanctioned points in league play for infractions.
2/3 of a tournament?can’t remember anything this extreme.
I still think they’ll appeal and get it reduced to a 3 point deduction.

But everything is going to be tainted.
Nah, it all comes down to the play on the field. If they bring the goals like the first game it will be fine.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It’s my goal to be an Olympian myself one day.
You mean drink Olympia one day, right?

Only place in NA it’s still brewed is here in Saskie. Who knew.

1722130253125.png

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I still think they’ll appeal and get it reduced to a 3 point deduction.

But everything is going to be tainted.

Eh, I'm a pretty casual soccer fan at the best of times, but I polled the 4 super fans I know across Europe and the one I know from South America and between all 5 of them, none of them even thinks it's worth reading about or making a big deal over.

Even reading about it online, most non-Canadians don't really give a f***. It seems like it's mostly Canadians and Canadian media making a big stink about it.

The euros in particular seem to think it's just part of the game - and all of them referenced most club teams and many national teams getting caught doing it in some fashion or another over the years. The general sentiment across the non-canadians I've talked to is essentially they think everyone is doing it, just maybe not with drones - in the very least with affiliate journalists and well taken notes which gets the players the same information with the same ability to recognize it live from the field but is perhaps impossible to catch unlike a drone.

The other piece is that almost all of them are skeptical that he actually gives any real advantage - it's mostly just a "well they're doing it, so we need to do it too" kind of thing. It's also 2024 and there's so much scouting data available on every player and coach and system, what you actually get from watching a practice is sketchy. There's also kind of an idea that knowing what they're going to do is only half the battle and doesn't necessarily help when you're talking about the best in the world - for example everyone knows McDavid is going to skate really fast, but stopping it is another matter.

Certainly pro players that have been polled tend to agree;

But I mean - it's against the rules. We cheated, is what it is.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eh, I'm a pretty casual soccer fan at the best of times, but I polled the 4 super fans I know across Europe and the one I know from South America and between all 5 of them, none of them even thinks it's worth reading about or making a big deal over.

Even reading about it online, most non-Canadians don't really give a f***. It seems like it's mostly Canadians and Canadian media making a big stink about it.

The euros in particular seem to think it's just part of the game - and all of them referenced most club teams and many national teams getting caught doing it in some fashion or another over the years. The general sentiment across the non-canadians I've talked to is essentially they think everyone is doing it, just maybe not with drones - in the very least with affiliate journalists and well taken notes which gets the players the same information with the same ability to recognize it live from the field but is perhaps impossible to catch unlike a drone.

The other piece is that almost all of them are skeptical that he actually gives any real advantage - it's mostly just a "well they're doing it, so we need to do it too" kind of thing. It's also 2024 and there's so much scouting data available on every player and coach and system, what you actually get from watching a practice is sketchy. There's also kind of an idea that knowing what they're going to do is only half the battle and doesn't necessarily help when you're talking about the best in the world - for example everyone knows McDavid is going to skate really fast, but stopping it is another matter.

Certainly pro players that have been polled tend to agree;

But I mean - it's against the rules. We cheated, is what it is.
Oh I agree, I meant in terms of general perception it’s going to be tainted. And it’s embarrassing that we were stupid enough to get caught doing it.

Reactions: oilers'72

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Anybody know if they stopped testing for pot at the Olympics? I’m watching the women’s skateboarding and there’s no way none of them are high.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
MacNeil from 100m fly gold in Tokyo to the 5th in Paris... That sucks!

She was swum down by the Chinese swimmer from 75m onward to lose the bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad