Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Something like this? ;)
I have recently taken up Tai Chi. I think that makes me a bad ass!!! :sarcasm:

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
You know exactly what he's talking about. Unless you live in your own little bubble and pay zero attention to what's been happening in Paris and many other western nations.
I honestly don't unless you are referring to the hajib law but I'm not aware of that law in other Western Nations.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I used to watch Olympics more in the past when I had more time.

But I also get annoyed becuase it is mostly a corporate hype event that plays on a sense of national pride to make us care about events we otherwise don't care about.

The same people that were telling us how horrible of people we are and how our countries are bad, suddenly want me watching random events out of patriotism. I thought national patriotism was toxic and sounded like some kind of far right evil.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I didn’t watch much of the opening ceremonies - maybe 10 minutes - but I did see this bit and it was awesome!

CBC or TSN had a panel that included Andi Petrillo and 3 other ex-athletes I couldn’t really remember that were providing commentary during the ceremony. I’m not sure who it was although I know it wasn’t Petrillo but whenever this person spoke they badly butchered the name of whoever it was they were talking about. The beginning of the clip you showed with the headless woman was referred to as “Mary Net”. Their horrifically bad commentary through out made the ceremony difficult to watch at times. I wish I could have muted them but I’d have missed too much.

As over the top as these opening ceremonies tend to be, this one stuck out and it’ll take a lot of effort for another host to top it.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Canada is almost always terrible at the Summer Olympics. Last olympics they got 24 medals and only 7 golds. Coming in 11th in the world. I doubt they even get that this year. The only events I am interested in is female soccer as Canada has a very good female soccer team, I am hoping they can win gold again. I have also heard Canada has a good basketball team this year as there have been alot of top NBA players from Canada recently so I am interested in seeing some of the basketball games. That is it though.

Reactions: oilers'72

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
1722045114963.png

:bow::bow::bow:

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Growing up in a sports family, we always had a hockey (Oilers), football (Riders) or baseball or any team on, we loved the Olympics. Everything on, all the time.

CBC was great at showing complete events from start to finish. Not just Canadian athletes but the sport.

Now all I get, living here in Oregon, are the US athletes, the one of 700,000 apparently, that are vying for a medal. Ugh.

Has it changed for the Canadian stations as well?

Go team Canada!

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Canada is almost always terrible at the Summer Olympics. Last olympics they got 24 medals and only 7 golds. Coming in 11th in the world. I doubt they even get that this year. The only events I am interested in is female soccer as Canada has a very good female soccer team, I am hoping they can win gold again. I have also heard Canada has a good basketball team this year as there have been alot of top NBA players from Canada recently so I am interested in seeing some of the basketball games. That is it though.
Canadian performance at the Summer Games since Rio has actually been impressive and, as a country, we've actually punched above our weight considering the lack of critical infrastructure and investment put into these sports. Just look at what's been done to our once world-class Rowing program. It's a shame.

But in comparison to the Winter Games, our performance in the Summer Olympics is actually more impressive considering the athletic talent we're competing against and, I'd argue, we have probably punched below our weight at the Winter Olympics lately.

Reactions: oilers'72

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
What’s Iraq really like?
I can tell you a lot more about neighboring Jordan and the Palestinian territories. CBC mentioned Iraq not having female atheletes yet there were several other countries not having female atheletes. Point I'm making is for the media to stop being hypocrites. There's no room for these comments in the Olympics anyhow.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I can tell you a lot more about neighboring Jordan and the Palestinian territories. CBC mentioned Iraq not having female atheletes yet there were several other countries not having female atheletes. Point I'm making is for the media to stop being hypocrites. There's no room for these comments in the Olympics anyhow.

I want to see Iranian Women’s Beach Volleyball team.

Reactions: oilers'72 and ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad