GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Where about you at? I'm in Edmonton and the home club is Nor'Westers Athletic Association

Looks like the home team in waterloo has some friendlies coming up
I've been in Edmonton most of the summer and a good part of the spring. To be honest, I probably would not have a chance to really look into rugby in Waterloo this year but maybe after I retire next spring.

Reactions: DaGap

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Were just enjoying our Rugby break between the spring and fall season

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I want to cheer for the Canadian women, but I admit I am having trouble doing that with how much I loathe the Astros and Patriots for not being punished more after what they did... I mean the athletes are Canadian so I hope they win it all, but the cognitive dissonance is strong in this case

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I want to cheer for the Canadian women, but I admit I am having trouble doing that with how much I loathe the Astros and Patriots for not being punished more after what they did... I mean the athletes are Canadian so I hope they win it all, but the cognitive dissonance is strong in this case
Christine Sinclair seemed adamant that players were never made aware of the actions. I tend to believe her.
Having contested over 300 international matches, including 4 Olympic games, there was no greater honour than wearing the maple leaf and representing Canada on the world stage," Sinclair wrote on social media.

"As players, we train endlessly our whole lives for these moments. Together, we take pride in letting our play speak for itself. We battle within the touchlines with integrity and try to meet each result with grace - win, lose or draw.

"It's unfortunate that players of our National Team have had to play through condemnable actions by some of their staff as they attempt to defend our goal medal. Actions players have no control over.

I want to be clear that having been a national team player for 23 years, we were never shown or discussed drone footage in team or individual meetings I've been present for.

It also seems that the reaction internationally was that this was no big deal suggesting that it happens all the time. The last thing I would advocate is that just because "everyone does it" its not still wrong. But what this tells me is that the actual gained advantage may be minimal. So unlike the baseball/football scandals where the players were actively involved and where the offenses probably had a tangible impact, I think it is a reasonable position to take that the current Women's Team players may be innocent in this whole affair and that they are already paying a stiff penalty for the action of others who are actually the villains in this affair. Of course, I am undoubtably biased. I can't really say that if it was a rival team I might not feel differently.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Other countries cheat with embedded journalists reporting on opponent practices.

Canada don’t really have enough dedicated journalists covering soccer to do that, so they used a different way.

It’s not a great look but sometimes if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying.

If it helps you sleep at night most of the big name retired soccer players who have been asked their opinion on this have said it doesn’t really matter.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Does anyone know how they seed the medal round? The announcers said we get Germany next, and I saw online somewhere that says US vs Japan, was already set (not sure if that's right), so if that is the case, its not just a simple 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 scenario. Unless I have failed at math and the final standings, ha ha.

EDIT - I found a schedule, but I still don't see how they seed it. (PS, this schedule was wrong. Please ignore and move to Edit #2)

USA vs Japan
Spain vs "3B" which is Australia
Canada vs Germany
France vs "3C" which is Brazil

I'm not sure how this schedule would have Australia in though - based on points and the first tie-breaker, I would think it was Colombia and Brazil going to the next round, unless the pool that gets the 3rd place teams going through is based on the point totals of the teams that win the pool, in which case using the 3rd team from the B and C pools makes sense, as the US and Spain finished ahead of France among the pool winners (9 points vs 6 points). I suspect some of these news rooms covering the Olympics are about as familiar with football seeding as I am, because I'm seeing some claim Colombia is in, and others claiming Australia and Brazil had locked up their seedings before our game, ha ha.

EDIT #2 - The Olympics website has the schedule up now. Australia is out, Columbia and Brazil are in.

US vs Japan
Spain vs Colombia
Canada vs Germany
France vs Brazil

Semis

Winner of US/Japan vs Winner of Germany/Canada
Winner of Spain/Colombia vs Winner of France/Brazil

And to be honest, I still don't know why it is US vs Japan, and not US vs Brazil as the 8th seed, ha ha. Spain vs Colombia makes sense to me - #2 vs #7, but if it was #3 vs #6, it would be France vs Canada again. I'm confused. And I'm done editing. Thanks for reading, sorry for the essay.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Christine Sinclair seemed adamant that players were never made aware of the actions. I tend to believe her.

It also seems that the reaction internationally was that this was no big deal suggesting that it happens all the time. The last thing I would advocate is that just because "everyone does it" its not still wrong. But what this tells me is that the actual gained advantage may be minimal. So unlike the baseball/football scandals where the players were actively involved and where the offenses probably had a tangible impact, I think it is a reasonable position to take that the current Women's Team players may be innocent in this whole affair and that they are already paying a stiff penalty for the action of others who are actually the villains in this affair. Of course, I am undoubtably biased. I can't really say that if it was a rival team I might not feel differently.
The coaches have to get their heads around the idea that they need an edge. The only edge they need is their players. As to a benefit on the field, I think there is zero.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The whole thing is so stupid. Between the actions of Priestman and her staff doing something illegal. And then the comments of Kevin Blue and the head of COC making stupid comments about Toyko. Is their gold medal now at risk?

Absolutely stupid all around. I get why Fifa had to do something and the punishment was too harsh. But whatever, our coaching staff was doing something illegal and someone got arrested. Let's just stop digging a hole on ourselves and move on. Now, there's an investigation.

Appropriate action would be accepting the six point deduction and firing the staff. Done. Let's move on.

I haven't been in the details on this, but do I have it right that this guy basically said "ya we've done this a bunch before" when shit hit the fan?

If so - what an absolute f***ing idiot.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Impressive win for the Canadian women's soccer team who continue to deliver on their talent, grit and determination through adversity. Leads to a reasonable discussion to question the relative impact of coaching especially one that feels it needs to cheat to advantage.

Not apples to apples but an interesting article on relative (low) impact of coaching within MLS soccer and tendencies related to hiring. "Translation: Teams are more likely to hire experienced, bad coaches than they are to choose an inexperienced manager with great potential."

A solid parallel to an information based decision maker in Jeff Jackson opting to put his team's season on the brink in the hand of a little known minor league head coach over a recycled NHL one.

To the victors on field goes the glory. In midst of all the chaos and global scrutiny with guilt by association, the high quality talent and character of Team Canada have gone out and done it on the field. Well done ladies. Proud of their response in all facets to this mess.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Rugy 7's is a completely new sport for me. I use to follow rugby back in the day. All Blacks vs either the Aussies or the Springboks was always something I found really compelling.
I tried giving different styles of Rugby a watch. I watched a bit of each including Rugby Union, Rugby League and Aussie Rules. I found Aussie rules the most exciting of those three.

Now watching Rugby 7's for the first time, I find the game superior to all of the other three. Much faster , simplier and exciting to watch. The 15 a side Rugby Union is a slog to watch in comparison.

Rugby 7 tournaments are events that I'll be following going forward.

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005

I'm sure the players knew. I can almost guarantee they did. The thing is every other country does the same thing. Every player knows and that's why outside of Canada, this is met with a collective shrug. The players are not responsible for the actions of the coaching staff.

Our staff was stupid enough to fly a drone in a country with no fly orders. Our assistant coach got arrested. Fifa had to act. Punishment was harsh. I just our federation would stop burying themselves for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad