OT: Paris Olympics 2024 - Jeux de la XXXIIIe Olympiade Thread

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Karma with that Canadian win is the Australians , first to cry foul not even qualify and add to that New Zealand …..

But Canada soccer man , can it be worst …..

Reactions: The Real Timo

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
CSA needs to be nuked and rebuilt from scratch
Yep, and it's not because they fly drones. If it was their only fault, who cares. But just in recent years, there was issues with players pay (men and women), the Men's team not playing some friendlies in protest, the CSB deal, needing Canadian MLS owners to pay for Marsch's salary, what else?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Lol
But we *did* break a rule :laugh:

Not the players.

And Canada got caught doing it while FIFA probably knows everybody does it.

Also Priestman is getting all the heat but it seemed more like a job requirement than something she brought up herself.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Not the players.

And Canada got caught doing it while FIFA probably knows everybody does it.

Also Priestman is getting all the heat but it seemed more like a job requirement than something she brought up herself.
Players or not, the team cheated, and honestly should've been disqualified from the tournament, IMO. I'm happy for the players, but it's really dumb that they were allowed to play and qualify.

Reactions: rickthegoon and TRG

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Players or not, the team cheated, and honestly should've been disqualified from the tournament, IMO. I'm happy for the players, but it's really dumb that they were allowed to play and qualify.
I personally don't think it's as cut and dry as that. The people that were involved were reprimanded. While the players, who weren't involved what so ever were penalized. I agree with the penalty that was assessed. Disqualifiying the players IMO would have been overkill.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Why the f*** can't we find a veritable "Third Eye Spy" like the Americans have. :sarcasm:

They are dirt poor because of the CSB deal, technology will be limited to what the staff can charge on their Amex until 2032. ;)

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I personally don't think it's as cut and dry as that. The people that were involved were reprimanded. While the players, who weren't involved what so ever were penalized. I agree with the penalty that was assessed. Disqualifiying the players IMO would have been overkill.
We had reports that the men saw footage from other team's training. I have a hard time believing the women didn't do the same.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
We had reports that the men saw footage from other team's training. I have a hard time believing the women didn't do the same.
Ok, that I didn't know. If that's the case, I will still stick with my earlier suggestion. The penalty awarded to the team should be sufficient.

Reactions: Runner77

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Ehh, it was even worse before. There used to be other points like kokas and yukos that made the sport even more tactical and calculated

Games are often decided by shido (penalties) when one of the fighters "refuses" to fight and instead makes fake attacks, non-traditional grips for too long without intending to attack, and excessive defence. It is a slog to watch at times I admit, but it used to be even worse
umm...I think I disagree. I know the Japanese do. These days there is a lot more emphasis on penalties and less on throws which goes against the spirit of the sport IMO. They seem to be giving out shido's like no one's business. Also, by getting rid of Yoko's and Koka's I believe they had lowered the standards of what constitutes a Waza-ari and Ippon. I.e. it's too easy to get them. I see a throw and I'm thinking, oooOO, Waza-ari but those are called Ippon's these days.
I haven't watched enough tournaments to really say so I could be wrong but it seems there is less variety of throws these days because of the rule changes. Seems it's almost all drop-throws these days.
Maybe I'm biased but I do prefer the older rules. Or at least some aspects of it. I know the Japanese seem to think so.
Fake attacks and non-combat/excessive defence have always been illegal. But did you watch Deguchi's gold medal match? The Korean girl was pretty much only doing 'fake' attacks. I think there were only a couple of times when I saw actual intent to throw. It was obvious her strategy was to make her opponents lose the match by getting shido's for non-combativeness. It was ugly. They need to get that crap out of Judo.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Ok, that I didn't know. If that's the case, I will still stick with my earlier suggestion. The penalty awarded to the team should be sufficient.

Is where I took that from

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Reactions: Runner77

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I haven't watched enough tournaments to really say so I could be wrong but it seems there is less variety of throws these days because of the rule changes. Seems it's almost all drop-throws these days.
Maybe I'm biased but I do prefer the older rules. Or at least some aspects of it. I know the Japanese seem to think so.
Fake attacks and non-combat/excessive defence have always been illegal. But did you watch Deguchi's gold medal match? The Korean girl was pretty much only doing 'fake' attacks. I think there were only a couple of times when I saw actual intent to throw. It was obvious her strategy was to make her opponents lose the match by getting shido's for non-combativeness. It was ugly. They need to get that crap out of Judo.

There is less variety of throws, that's for sure. They took away the leg grabs which amounted to a good chunk of throws. Kata guruma is even in the gokyo but is a forbidden technique. IIRC they banned those because there were so much injuries. Those were nice to see, but I get it, over hlaf judokas I know that competed at international and even national levels are badly to horribly banged up (chronic back pain, massive permanent concussion aftereffects, replaced shoulders/knees/hips with 50% of movement)

I 100% agree with the Deguchi final part, the Korean even won like that the last time. I agree this should get out. IMO she should have gotten her shidos earlier to force her to do real judo instead of that mess. It's what those are for, but I feel like referees are too timid at times

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
She isn’t a dude.

Not enough information to say either way. The IBA banned her last year for failing a sex eligibility test, without elaborating what that entailed. We just know that her testosterone levels were not checked.

I've hear everything from Klinefelter Syndrome to Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome to 5-AR Deficiency. I do know that she destroyed that poor Italian athlete in under 45 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00