OT: Paris Olympics 2024 - Jeux de la XXXIIIe Olympiade Thread

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Another aspect of the Olympics I dislike is any sport using animals. Imagine the stress of transitting a horse to Paris?

Reactions: The Real Timo

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
She was really emotional about it, too. You could tell. Her first performance in 4 years, I believe.

It's good to see her out & about again.

Loved seeing her at the draft. Now this. She seems to be doing better after a really horrific diagnosis.

I'm proud of her, too.
Hopefully she can stay healthy until we need her for the Play-off Anthems. :D

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Another aspect of the Olympics I dislike is any sport using animals. Imagine the stress of transitting a horse to Paris?
Probably depends on the horse. In horse racing they take them all over the world. In most cases it doesn't affect their performance. Whether it affects them in other ways I don't know.

Reactions: Tyson

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Organized religions deserve to be mocked.
Shoving people sexualities in your face? When you see bikini wearing-babes in the arms of men in WWE shows, or in movies, wherever, do you find that heterosexuality is shoved in your face? Or does it only go one way for you?

Shocking that one of the first nations in world history to kick out the nobility and clergy from power after centuries of oppression and then instituted secularism would "mock" those two things.. I just can't believe it!!

You are demonstrating severe misunderstanding. It may be that a rebuttal of your points is a community service, so here goes:

1) France was not one of the first nations in history to have a revolution. Revolutions go back a long way. You can read about revolutions in the bible for example. Heck, even among animals you can have revolutions.

2) France did not end their ruling class, they replaced part of their ruling class. Today the average Frenchman has little power, for example as can be witnessed with the Gilet Jaunes protests. Note also that France has had multiple governments both prior to and subsequent to 1789.

3) I don't watch WWE, but I am against gratuitous nudity in popular films and shows, particularly those aimed at kids. There are contexts where nudity can work, for example in a war film, or in an earned sex scene in a film, but in general it's a cheap gimmick.

4) I too used to respect Richard Dawkins' thesis, but I now see that organized religion is a part of human nature. Where humans don't have a religion, they invent one, and in general that includes both good and ill. Don't assume that the replacement will necessarily be better, particularly when the foundations are rooted in nihilism and obscurantism.

In general organized religion can also provide a "third place", which is missing from many people's lives and thus contributing to social ills.

This will be my last post on the subject.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I'm still advocating for the U20 tournament in hockey.
With the WJHC being played in the summer once every four years.

I also dislike children participating. We've heard enough horror stories over the years about training abuses.

Maybe the same U23 rules as soccer?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I found the Marie-Antoinette part fit perfectly with the Gojira piece. The Last Scene was a bit over the top, but France has been known to go over the top. I mean, burlesque and transvestite shows have been a trademark of the French scene since the 19th century. Nothing new here. It was very Charlie Hebdo like. I can understand though the reaction of the Christians that take it at face value.

I found the ceremonies to be too long for my taste.But Céline was just a piece of heaven. She made me cry. Bravo!

Now, let’s have fun with the Games.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
You are demonstrating severe misunderstanding. It may be that a rebuttal of your points is a community service, so here goes:

1) France was not one of the first nations in history to have a revolution. Revolutions go back a long way. You can read about revolutions in the bible for example. Heck, even among animals you can have revolutions.

2) France did not end their ruling class, they replaced part of their ruling class. Today the average Frenchman has little power, for example as can be witnessed with the Gilet Jaunes protests. Note also that France has had multiple governments both prior to and subsequent to 1789.

3) I don't watch WWE, but I am against gratuitous nudity in popular films and shows, particularly those aimed at kids. There are contexts where nudity can work, for example in a war film, or in an earned sex scene in a film, but in general it's a cheap gimmick.

4) I too used to respect Richard Dawkins' thesis, but I now see that organized religion is a part of human nature. Where humans don't have a religion, they invent one, and in general that includes both good and ill. Don't assume that the replacement will necessarily be better, particularly when the foundations are rooted in nihilism and obscurantism.

In general organized religion can also provide a "third place", which is missing from many people's lives and thus contributing to social ills.

This will be my last post on the subject.

It’s a shame we no longer have a rogue’s den because there are so many jokes I want to make about what the “third place” means to pedophilic religious leaders

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

-That's your opinion. I'm sure you have things that are important to you that you don't think should be mocked. Should LGBT people be mocked? Maybe that's your sacred cow.

Shoving people sexualities in your face? When you see bikini wearing-babes in the arms of men in WWE shows, or in movies, wherever, do you find that heterosexuality is shoved in your face? Or does it only go one way for you?

-Bikini-clad babes at WWE shows (as an example, since they don't really do that much anymore) are meant to appeal to the target demographic, which is primarily men. No one complains about them because the audience actually want to see that.

-As to mockery of religion, cool. Go burn an effigy of the prophet Mohammed at a pro-palestinian protest in downtown Montreal and see how that goes.

-I choose which movies I watch. I don't tune into a the opening ceremony of a sports competition expecting to see some dude's nutsack hanging out.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
-That's your opinion. I'm sure you have things that are important to you that you don't think should be mocked. Should LGBT people be mocked? Maybe that's your sacred cow.

-Bikini-clad babes at WWE shows (as an example, since they don't really do that much anymore) are meant to appeal to the target demographic, which is primarily men. No one complains about them because the audience actually want to see that.

-As to mockery of religion, cool. Go burn an effigy of the prophet Mohammed at a pro-palestinian protest in downtown Montreal and see how that goes.

-I choose which movies I watch. I don't tune into a the opening ceremony of a sports competition expecting to see some dude's nutsack hanging out.

But the target demo of the Olympics are all human beings, so globohomos like me be gobbling those nutsacks up like spaghetti dinner

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's more about France being the first major Western nation to overthrow, on a durable basis*, it's hereditary monarchy by something else than an hereditary monarchy**, while keeping it under the same nation*** for a lack of a better word.

* To exclude Cromwell.
** To exclude the Glorious Revolution.
*** To exclude whatever the Netherlands did that can't exactly be explained in two words, that's sometimes described as a Revolution (or the 80 years War).

(But then again, Rome did that roughly 2250 years before France).

It's obviously a great event in Western history, without which you probably can't explain at all what happens afterwards. Key word "Western".

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

France's whole history since 1789 can be seen as a fight between Secularism and Religion that's generally been won by former. In a ceremony that was all about France, it would be a bit strange to NOT expect something about it.

I not myself all that crazy about Philippe Katherine's nutsack hanging out. I'm also not crazy about any of the pageantry before american football games, but that doesn't prevent me from watching a few games here and there.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
FIFA came down pretty hard on Canada women’s soccer team.
I love what our "Minister of Defense" Stepahnie Labbe said.

if anyone wants to speak about pks. i studied HARD the night before every match. Watched video of players taking pks in national team and club games. Made my own educated guesses based on that info. NO DRONE FOOTAGE was watched. Do not confuse great goalkeeping with cheating. ❣️

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Quite frankly I would love to have some hot babes shove their sexualities in my face. I would not complain one bit.

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad