Rumor: Panthers and Verhaeghe nearing 6 year extension in 8-8.5 area

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JustYourRegularGuy

Jun 27, 2024
$8M+ on a long-term deal sounds like a lot even for such a good player as Verhaeghe.

But in a couple years with the rising cap $8M will be roughly the same percentage-wise as previous $6M contracts that we saw awarded to much lesser players than Verhaeghe.

Also, gotta respect a guy for setting-up his family nicely for the long-term after having done everything he could and winning a Cup, as well as being so instrumental to the Panthers' regular season and playoffs success.

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Well earned...he's a star and clutch to boot.

I still don't think people realize how good he's been...so...here's how good he's been:

Even-strength goals, last two years, NHL leaders:

rxFDA7P.png

Even-strength goals, playoffs, last two years, NHL leaders:

P8OZ2bf.png
Wow that’s a crazy stat, nice pull..

not pictured here but shout out to Alexis Lafreniere, tied for 13th with 8 EVG in 23 GP, equalled McDavid’s total in his 37 GP. Nice to see that young man’s progress after some of the heat he has taken over the last few years.

Reactions: RogerRoger

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Holy does this mean Sam hits the market
The contract starts next year and the Panthers currently have 20 mil in cap space.
The cap should go up over 4 mil for the next season aswell, so they should get everyone signed without problems.

Reactions: Bgav

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For a player that has never had a PPG season $8+ million is pretty steep.

How?

He scored 34 goals, 72 points in 76 games this season
Scored 42 goals last season

21 points in 24 games in the playoffs
17 in 21 in last seasons playoff run
12 points in 10 games the year before

Why some refuse to live in reality and instead keep living in the past

Nylander signed a 11.5M deal after half a season of elite production

PLD signed a 8.5M deal with a 63 point career high

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
~8mil for a guy who has averaged 38 goals the past two years under Paul Maurice, and not the run and gun offense of Q/Brunette seems fair to me.

He's not purely a guy relying off Barkov for his goals. Doesn't score purely off speed or a trait that can decline as he gets older. Avoids hits/injuries.

By year 4-6 it may not be a good deal, but I don't care at that point as the core will be in the 30-35 year old range.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He'll be 30 when the contract starts. I don't like signing players until their 35 closing in on 36, but I think if you can get decent production for 4 years it's worth it.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Whoever this author David Dwork is, not very good reporting. I think they'll invest in Reinhart before they throw this amount of money in Verhaeghe

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I really think pedigree plays a part. Same exact stats but Carter was a top 5 NHL draft pick people would be PISSED because this is such an under-market value contract. Of course $8.5 for 6 years is a steal for a first line player with his production. Who is the comp that says he should be getting less? Ill wait, because you all won't find one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad