Value of: Panarin's next contract.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If that other guy with Tarasenko and Panarin is Kulemin, I get your point (I can't recognize who is the third guy). If not, read my post from first page.

Panarin is not going to play for Blues. Bowman won't trade him if it's not insane deal.

Nah, it's not Kulemin, just a random wedding guest.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sorry, sometimes I don't get sarcasm or jokes in English 'cause I'm from Finland. :laugh:

Ah gotcha usually when someone puts the :sarcasm: it means it's a joke. I know there's no realistic way he could join the Blues next year, assuming he'd want to.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
As good as Panarin is, the Hawks are probably better off trading him for 2 or 3 lesser players who can give them some actual depth, something they've struggled with recently.

Unless he totally bottoms out this year, he'll have every right to demand a deal comparable to what Tarasenko got, and the Hawks just can't afford to continue to be that top heavy without moving another big salary like Seabrook. Lord knows they'll have a hell of a time trying to do that with his contract length and NMC status.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
If any player is vulnerable to an offer sheet, it has to be Panarin, which should somewhat cap his trade value ($7.5M average is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, which is a decent haul, but a bargain for a player who should flirt with top 10 in scoring for a second time).

I'ts only a 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounder if the deal is for 5 years or less. If it was for 6 or 7 years, it is higher compensation. Then it would be two 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd, or 4 1sts depending on years.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
What's with the pipe-dream that the Hawks are going to get hit with recapture for Hossa? Everybody knows as soon as Hossa doesn't want to play anymore, he'll go on LTIR like all the rest.

Lower back injuries are nearly impossible to disprove medically. You really think that the NHL is going to take the legal risk of telling a player who feels he is unable to physically perform at an NHL level to suck it up and play? No way.

That's what you're saying. You're implying that if Hossa says he's injured, that the NHL is going to overrule a team doctor and tell Hossa that if he wants the rest of his money, he has to play.

Good luck with that. His cap hit is gone as soon as he decides it is. For the record though, I hope he plays as long as Yagr. Love the guy.

The difference between Savard, Pronger, Horton, Ohlund, Clowe etc...is they actually had career ending injuries. Unless Hossa gets knocked out during the year, you think they are honestly going to allow a team to purposely circumvent the cap? They warned these teams before the contracts were signed there would be penalties. The new CBA is written to intently punish these teams who circumvent it. If a few guys on a hockey fanboard can figure out the best way to circumvent the cap...you don't think they are aware of it? Just wait...it's going to happen. And wait until Weber retires down the road...that will be a crazy penalty. They didn't let Detroit off the hook with Datsyuk and his 7.5m cap hit this year. Doesn't matter who the team is.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
As good as Panarin is, the Hawks are probably better off trading him for 2 or 3 lesser players who can give them some actual depth, something they've struggled with recently.

Unless he totally bottoms out this year, he'll have every right to demand a deal comparable to what Tarasenko got, and the Hawks just can't afford to continue to be that top heavy without moving another big salary like Seabrook. Lord knows they'll have a hell of a time trying to do that with his contract length and NMC status.

The reality is the guy they should trade is Kane. Seabrook isn't going anywhere with that deal. Teows is more valuable IMO. Kane should be the guy you move. Would solve a lot of problems.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The difference between Savard, Pronger, Horton, Ohlund, Clowe etc...is they actually had career ending injuries. Unless Hossa gets knocked out during the year, you think they are honestly going to allow a team to purposely circumvent the cap? They warned these teams before the contracts were signed there would be penalties. The new CBA is written to intently punish these teams who circumvent it. If a few guys on a hockey fanboard can figure out the best way to circumvent the cap...you don't think they are aware of it? Just wait...it's going to happen. And wait until Weber retires down the road...that will be a crazy penalty. They didn't let Detroit off the hook with Datsyuk and his 7.5m cap hit this year. Doesn't matter who the team is.

Nah.

It's true that there likely won't be a specific career ending injury in Hossa's case, but that's hardly the only precendent for LTIR retirements. Nathan Horton and Dave Bolland, for example, are not expected to play hockey ever again. Their injuries are not the result of a single specific act, but the cumulative stress and damage on a body part over a period of time.

Rest assured if Marian Hossa is deemed unable to play because of cumulative damage to his back, he will be LTIRed.

And frankly, I think you're wrong about Weber. I very highly doubt the NHL would deliver the full weight of the rcapture to the Nashville Predators, as doing so, particularly in the latter stages of the the contract, would essentially prevent the franchise from icing a team.

More than the likely, recapture as a concept will be washed from the CBA in the next negotiation/lockout, and any situations that take place before that period will be handled with kid gloves.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
this year will go a long way in answering what he deserves.

Really wish they would lock him up before this season starts. It would be worth the risk signing him somewhat long-term rather than waiting to see if he sustains or even increases his performance warranting a heftier contract. I would assume Panarin and his agent want to wait though. Still plenty of risk involved with that, but it makes sense.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Hossa can just say he has vertigo. With the concussions he had, it's plausible and it's not like it's something that would be easy to disprove.

If he does it that way, instead of retiring, he still gets paid the balance of his contract, to boot, so Hossa does have a financial incentive to play an injury game that benefits the hawks as a byproduct.

I'm sure Bettman wouldn't like that, but it's not clear to me he can do anything to stop it.

Hossa: I'm dizzy on the ice
Doctor: He says he's dizzy on the ice
Bettman: That's convenient. I don't believe it.
Doctor: What do you want me to do about it? He says he's dizzy and I can't tell you he's not.

Challenging something like this is a surefire way for the NHL to get a ton of bad press. It's also something that could be used against them in any future class-action concussion lawsuit.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You should be worried.

1. Why would any team let alone an expansion team want Marcus Kruger? Guy had 4 assists last year and makes 3m a year for the next 3 yrs.

2. Hossa likely retires next year when his salary goes down to a 1m. Hawks then get hit with a 4.6m recapture penalty for 4 years. If you think the NHL is going to let that slide forget it. It takes cap circumvention seriously. They are going to take it on the chin.

3. KHL isn't an option. He will make more money here with a better lifestyle. Kid is easily going to get 7m x7 yrs.

4. Hawks can't take the chance to let him become an RFA. A team signs him for a 7.3m AAV..Hawks only get a 1st, 2nd ans 3rd. That's not bad...unless you realize those picks are likely by a team picking in the bottom half of the draft. Would you trade Panarin for the 22nd, 52nd and 82nd picks? They have to move him for quality assets to restock their team. They are already aging and watered down as it is. Their core contracts are killing them. Only going to get worse.

1: A team may want one of the best defensive centres in the league. Yes, he had a terrible year last year, but he is more likely the 20-30pt C he has been his entire career than the 4A player he was last year.

2: I'm not worried about Hossa..he isn't retiring after next year.

3: Is that why Sobotka went to the KHL? Kovalchuk? Datsyuk? For more money? hmm

4: When was the last time a team put an offer sheet in? When was the last time a team put an offer sheet in at over 7mil? Hawks would match 7.3 anyway, they can make it work for at least 1 year.

I know more about the Hawks cap situation than you do. It will be tough to sign him for anything over 7mil, but I'm not worried. Either they sign him for less than that, or they trade him for a hell of a haul.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
1: A team may want one of the best defensive centres in the league. Yes, he had a terrible year last year, but he is more likely the 20-30pt C he has been his entire career than the 4A player he was last year.

2: I'm not worried about Hossa..he isn't retiring after next year.

3: Is that why Sobotka went to the KHL? Kovalchuk? Datsyuk? For more money? hmm

4: When was the last time a team put an offer sheet in? When was the last time a team put an offer sheet in at over 7mil? Hawks would match 7.3 anyway, they can make it work for at least 1 year.

I know more about the Hawks cap situation than you do. It will be tough to sign him for anything over 7mil, but I'm not worried. Either they sign him for less than that, or they trade him for a hell of a haul.

You don't hear about them if they don't get signed. Who knows how many actually get offered.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
See that's the problem. The Hawks are already watered down enough. All the talk on here about them being perrenial cup contenders is nonsense. They still have a great core of 5-6 players. After that they are a patchwork of nearly nobodies. The core should be good enough to get them in the playoffs or close to it....but are they really contenders now? No. And it is only going to get worse from here.

When you have the core they do you are a contender they haven't lost anybody they couldn't replace, yet until that happens they are contenders.

Mad Brills*

Unless weber retires before the 2019-20 season, the recapture won't affect nashville as a new CBA will be in effect.

Group Chat Legend*

Yeah, magic hands, great stickhandling, laser of a shot, one of the best one timers in the league, and his skating and IQ are top notch as well. I'd say 50 points is way too much. 30 and not a single point more.

:laugh:

Get over yourself he has played one season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Perhaps a reason for why he wont is because Kane likely wont do as well either?

Panarin can be a solid 50pt guy but I doubt hes scoring 70+ more than another few times, if that.

You really do like to say outlandish things don't you?

He's not dropping 27 points unless he gets hurt.

Group Chat Legend*

Pretty much this. Not to mention concussion history.

Plus, anybody believe the NHL is going to aggressively try to undermine the competitiveness of one of their biggest cash cow franchises by chasing medical diagnosis? Please.

The NHL wont allow Chicago to put Hossa on LTIR. What do you think, the NHL just makes rules so no one follows them?

'Hey guys, whenever our guys get older and worse we can just put them on LTIR forever!'

Yeah not how it works

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
He'll make $6 million or less. No way he'll be making more than the likes of Hall, Forsberg, Pavelski, Couture, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad