Value of: Panarin's next contract.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Would Hossa accept a trade to somewhere like Phoenix? Starting 2017-18, he makes only $1M per with a cap hit of $5.275M. Could be attractive for certain teams, but he does have a NMC (and if he retires, the Hawks are screwed).

That would probably be the best case scenario for Chicago...Panarin would basically take Hossa's pay slot.

1. Why would Hossa accept a trade from a perennial cup contender to a last place team?

2. If he retired it would be even more punitive as they would have roughly a 4.275M cap hit for a guy not even on their roster.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Monahan got 6.4.

Panarin is definitely more valuable than him and less valuable than Tarasenko. Unless he breaks 80 this year, then CHI will make a killing in the trade.

If he puts up 75-80 points again this year, I imagine his price would have to start at 7M per season.

These are my thoughts as well. Team player who understand the cap structure and wants to stay takes the discount of $6.5mil over a lengthy term.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
7.5M for 7 years.

Hawks gonna be in trouble.

The Hawks should be able to navigate it relatively easily if he doesn't finish top 10 in points again. Things definitely do get interesting if he does.

Champagne problems, though.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The chances he signs with the Hawks is slim. He is going to put up big numbers again and will be looking for Tarasenko level numbers. Hawks will be hard pressed to fit him in without further diluting their already weakened team.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/chicago-blackhawks

Ballparking this out, the Hawks can do it. The rub is that they would need to be replacing every single other RFA with someone who makes $600k, unless they decide to trade Crawford or Seabrook (neither of which is happening) or Hossa were to suffer a career-ending injury (which he hasn't yet).

Finding that many 600k guys who can play (if they all make even 800k, Hawks probably can't sign him, depending on what happens with the ceiling), would be really, really, rough though.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Hawks have 15mil in cap space for next year as it is right now.

There are no major RFAs or UFAs, other than Panarin.

The cap could probably go up 2-3mil, and they could quite possibly lose Marcus Kruger in the expansion draft. If that happens, they will have 21mil in cap space with 12 guys to sign, or if Kruger doesn't get picked up, 17mil in space with 11 to sign.

Hawks could just hold out on Panarin, with the intention of matching any offer sheet (as long as it's not too outlandish, and get Panarin for a decent price. If he goes to the KHL, they hold his rights until he wants to come back.

Not too worried.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He is going to resign with Blackhawks, I don't think there are many other teams he would sign. Maybe Capitals and Blues, but they won't have room for him, won't pay the price and Bowman isn't going to give Panarin a chance to play against Hawks at least 5 times a year. So count them out.

And the fact how Bowman is handling the cap this offseason, it seems that he is letting some extra space for bonus overages so they wouldn't affect in next years cap.

If Bowman is going to trade Panarin, I'm not sure that he want's to play in every team in NHL. I am just speculating, but I could see him going back to KHL.

There are teams like Islanders, that are in a dire need of good forwards. What winger will decline an offer to live in New York and play with John Tavares?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Monahan got 6.4.

Panarin is definitely more valuable than him and less valuable than Tarasenko. Unless he breaks 80 this year, then CHI will make a killing in the trade.

If any player is vulnerable to an offer sheet, it has to be Panarin, which should somewhat cap his trade value ($7.5M average is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, which is a decent haul, but a bargain for a player who should flirt with top 10 in scoring for a second time).

migi

Feb 25, 2015
There are teams like Islanders, that are in a dire need of good forwards. What winger will decline an offer to live in New York and play with John Tavares?

Maybe a winger who want's to play with a real contender or with his friends.

Group Chat Legend*

He put up 77 points last year assuming he does that again and I see no reason why he won't what's he looking at? Would 7 million be in the ballpark? I can't envision a situation where the Hawks don't move heaven and earth to get Panarin done but what's it going to cost?

Perhaps a reason for why he wont is because Kane likely wont do as well either?

Panarin can be a solid 50pt guy but I doubt hes scoring 70+ more than another few times, if that.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/chicago-blackhawks

Ballparking this out, the Hawks can do it. The rub is that they would need to be replacing every single other RFA with someone who makes $600k, unless they decide to trade Crawford or Seabrook (neither of which is happening) or Hossa were to suffer a career-ending injury (which he hasn't yet).

Finding that many 600k guys who can play (if they all make even 800k, Hawks probably can't sign him, depending on what happens with the ceiling), would be really, really, rough though.

See that's the problem. The Hawks are already watered down enough. All the talk on here about them being perrenial cup contenders is nonsense. They still have a great core of 5-6 players. After that they are a patchwork of nearly nobodies. The core should be good enough to get them in the playoffs or close to it....but are they really contenders now? No. And it is only going to get worse from here.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They need to kinda offer him a bridge deal ,Panarin knows he has it good there.He just needs to be patient for a season or two ,then the Hawks will make him a very rich man :nod:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Perhaps a reason for why he wont is because Kane likely wont do as well either?

Panarin can be a solid 50pt guy but I doubt hes scoring 70+ more than another few times, if that.

Yeah, magic hands, great stickhandling, laser of a shot, one of the best one timers in the league, and his skating and IQ are top notch as well. I'd say 50 points is way too much. 30 and not a single point more.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site

The cap could probably go up 2-3mil, and they could quite possibly lose Marcus Kruger in the expansion draft. If that happens, they will have 21mil in cap space with 12 guys to sign, or if Kruger doesn't get picked up, 17mil in space with 11 to sign.

Hawks could just hold out on Panarin, with the intention of matching any offer sheet (as long as it's not too outlandish, and get Panarin for a decent price. If he goes to the KHL, they hold his rights until he wants to come back.

Not too worried.

You should be worried.

1. Why would any team let alone an expansion team want Marcus Kruger? Guy had 4 assists last year and makes 3m a year for the next 3 yrs.

2. Hossa likely retires next year when his salary goes down to a 1m. Hawks then get hit with a 4.6m recapture penalty for 4 years. If you think the NHL is going to let that slide forget it. It takes cap circumvention seriously. They are going to take it on the chin.

3. KHL isn't an option. He will make more money here with a better lifestyle. Kid is easily going to get 7m x7 yrs.

4. Hawks can't take the chance to let him become an RFA. A team signs him for a 7.3m AAV..Hawks only get a 1st, 2nd ans 3rd. That's not bad...unless you realize those picks are likely by a team picking in the bottom half of the draft. Would you trade Panarin for the 22nd, 52nd and 82nd picks? They have to move him for quality assets to restock their team. They are already aging and watered down as it is. Their core contracts are killing them. Only going to get worse.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
I think playing him with Kane all year and then moving him for:

Expansion Exempt, Cost conscious players is a smart move.

Example at the end of the season prior to Expansion:

Move him to Carolina for:

Slavin, Fleury & Aho.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

Not too worried.

Well, that 15M in cap room is going to go really fast. They only have 6F, 4D and 1G under contract. You figure they need 10 more players, in addition to Panarin, including 7 starters (5F, 2D). If they go really, really cheap on the starters, say $1M each, you are looking at $8M left. Add in 3 backups (1F, 1D, Backup G) at league minimum, and you are looking at $6.5M left.

And that's if they go super cheap all over. If they want an actual top-4 defenseman to replace Campbell, it will cost a lot more. If they want a good third line, you will need to spend more. If they want a proven backup, you will need to spend more.

Granted, a lot of things can happen. The cap could go up. Hossa could accept a trade somewhere. LV could do Chicago a favor and take a big contract.

But, the cap could go down. They could have a penalty because of Panarin's bonuses. LV could take a cheap player Chicago was counting on.

Fact is, Chicago is in major cap trouble for next year.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Monahan got 6.4.

If you're using the Monahan comparison, also worth noting that the flames had to pay for 3 ufa years with that contract, while you're probably looking at having to pay for 5 or 6 ufa years of panarin, depending on the length of the contract. 7 million as a starting point doesn't seem like a stretch at all provided he repeats his performance from last season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maybe a winger who want's to play with a real contender or with his friends.
You don't say?

CNNPdZCUAAAAWpk.jpg

:sarcasm:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If Panarin wants more than 7, he's trade bait.

Unless the Blackhawks can move Seabrook, which I have my doubts they would choose to, even if they could.

For better or worse the Blackhawks have identified their core with the big contracts they've handed out, those are the guys they're sticking with till the wheels fall off and the next rebuild starts.

That makes Panarin and any other wunderkinds they stumble upon over the next several years essentially impossible to sign for big money.

So they trade them, take the pieces back, and try and find the next hidden gem.

Personally speaking, if I were Bowman I'd move Seabrook asap to sign Panarin.

Hossa isn't a concern. He'll pull a Pronger and be LTIRed once he decides he's done.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
2. Hossa likely retires next year when his salary goes down to a 1m. Hawks then get hit with a 4.6m recapture penalty for 4 years. If you think the NHL is going to let that slide forget it. It takes cap circumvention seriously. They are going to take it on the chin.

What's with the pipe-dream that the Hawks are going to get hit with recapture for Hossa? Everybody knows as soon as Hossa doesn't want to play anymore, he'll go on LTIR like all the rest.

Lower back injuries are nearly impossible to disprove medically. You really think that the NHL is going to take the legal risk of telling a player who feels he is unable to physically perform at an NHL level to suck it up and play? No way.

That's what you're saying. You're implying that if Hossa says he's injured, that the NHL is going to overrule a team doctor and tell Hossa that if he wants the rest of his money, he has to play.

Good luck with that. His cap hit is gone as soon as he decides it is. For the record though, I hope he plays as long as Yagr. Love the guy.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
What's with the pipe-dream that the Hawks are going to get hit with recapture for Hossa? Everybody knows as soon as Hossa doesn't want to play anymore, he'll go on LTIR like all the rest.

Lower back injuries are nearly impossible to disprove medically. You really think that the NHL is going to take the legal risk of telling a player who feels he is unable to physically perform at an NHL level to suck it up and play? No way.

That's what you're saying. You're implying that if Hossa says he's injured, that the NHL is going to overrule a team doctor and tell Hossa that if he wants the rest of his money, he has to play.

Good luck with that. His cap hit is gone as soon as he decides it is. For the record though, I hope he plays as long as Yagr. Love the guy.

Pretty much this. Not to mention concussion history.

Plus, anybody believe the NHL is going to aggressively try to undermine the competitiveness of one of their biggest cash cow franchises by chasing medical diagnosis? Please.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He was absolutely able to produce offence on his own without Kane's help. They make each other better, but neither depends on the other.

Uh, the numbers say otherwise. Panarin didn't play many minutes away from Kane but when he did his production cratered.

If he can carry a line away from Kane, he has yet to demonstrate it. Hopefully the Blackhawks give him the opportunity to do so next season.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
You don't say?

CNNPdZCUAAAAWpk.jpg

:sarcasm:

If that other guy with Tarasenko and Panarin is Kulemin, I get your point (I can't recognize who is the third guy). If not, read my post from first page.

Panarin is not going to play for Blues. Bowman won't trade him if it's not insane deal.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If that other guy with Tarasenko and Panarin is Kulemin, I get your point (I can't recognize who is the third guy). If not, read my post from first page.

Panarin is not going to play for Blues. Bowman won't trade him if it's not insane deal.

It was a joke.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad