Rumor: Pagnotta: Flames are exploring trade market on Nazem Kadri

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The Sens or Sabres would be a perfect fit.
I've always thought that too. For either Backlund or Kadri. Coleman too.

The guy 3 years older and worse in all areas will net a similar return. Sure buddy.
Huh? What is he worse at than Hertl? Faceoffs are the only thing I can think of. Kadri has outscored Hertl by well over 100 points the last 3 seasons. I don't think even the staunchest of Oiler fans would suggest Hertl is as good defensively or as physical.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m a big Kadri fan, but that contract is only getting worse. You were hoping for ~4 above-water years when you signed it. That’s down to ~2 with 5 to go. How much salary is Calgary willing to eat to stretch that a bit? If not it feels like a zero to negative value.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Calgary is 100% not retaining on him barring a ridiculous return. 5 years of having a retention spot filled costs us a tons of potential assets.
This is something people seem to often miss. I'd have no problem retaining on Kadri if there was not limit on retention spots.

Reactions: treple13

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't move Kadri just to move him. I'd want an actual return. We have 30M in cap space and it's between him and Coleman on who our best forward is. I'd the offer is less than a 1st round pick or equivalent prospect I'd just keep him. I do want to draft high, but barring a seriously good season from Wolf I think we're already top 5 and I don't want to go to Sharks level of putrid.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
A 7 million dollar player will feel like a 5-5.5 million dollar player in 2ish years, or maybe less.

Point being, as he regresses, the impact of his contract will along with him.

Someone would take him, but there will either need to be a middling contract going back OR retention to get good assets.

That said, I could see him moving with neither of those things happening for a middling return.

Some of this also depends on how much Calgary wants to do right by him and send him to a contender. Contenders will need that retention or to dump a contract.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Seems like a lot of people treat Pagnotta's word as gospel. He is right about the same number of times that I am picking Lotto numbers. Not very often if at all.

Dreger has reported that yes indeed teams are phoning Conroy about Kadri. Conroy is not phoning other teams trying to shop Kadri. Kadri likes the team and loves the city.

So, it would have to be a jaw dropping offer to Conroy for him to ask Kadri to waive.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I’m a big Kadri fan, but that contract is only getting worse. You were hoping for ~4 above-water years when you signed it. That’s down to ~2 with 5 to go. How much salary is Calgary willing to eat to stretch that a bit? If not it feels like a zero to negative value.
I’m sure they’d be happy to eat a bit, but unless he demands a trade I don’t see him going anywhere. They need some vets to meet the cap floor, which they’re already under.

Reactions: tucker3434

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
I wouldn't move Kadri just to move him. I'd want an actual return. We have 30M in cap space and it's between him and Coleman on who our best forward is. I'd the offer is less than a 1st round pick or equivalent prospect I'd just keep him. I do want to draft high, but barring a seriously good season from Wolf I think we're already top 5 and I don't want to go to Sharks level of putrid.
You're keeping him, in that case. All the best!

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You're keeping him, in that case. All the best!
Pretending you know that is pretty silly. Monahan got a 1st round pick this TDL. Dubois got moved without retention. Then we had a number 4 D with a low cap hit require a 2nd to move. As if anyone remotely understands what players are worth now. Kadri is worth 8.5M minimum today.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
A team with a win-now and go full-rebuild near the final years of his deal makes sense. Pittsburgh comes to mind.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Lol I can see Dubas going for this.

Could you blame him though?

You can't go full-rebuild with Crosby (37) Malkin (38), Letang (37) on the team. Their best option is to try and load up on deals that will sour by the time those guys retire (2-4yrs). They'll inetiveably go into a full-rebuild and be terrible for 3-5 years while drafting high picks aferwards. Those prospects will benefit from the veteran presense overpaid old-timers will give, and it's not like the cap matters at that point anyways.

All depends on the price of course.

Reactions: viper0220

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Could you blame him though?

You can't go full-rebuild with Crosby (37) Malkin (38), Letang (37) on the team. Their best option is to try and load up on deals that will sour by the time those guys retire (2-4yrs). They'll inetiveably go into a full-rebuild and be terrible for 3-5 years while drafting high picks aferwards. Those prospects will benefit from the veteran presense overpaid old-timers will give, and it's not like the cap matters at that point anyways.

All depends on the price of course.
You can go full-rebuild, they've just chosen not to. I don't think a Kadri deal would be bad for the Pens based on them not going full-rebuild, it would make sense for where they're at right now. I didn't mean for my comment to come across in a "Dubas stupid" way, I just wasn't thinking of the Pens for Kadri at first, then your comment made me realize it's a move that would very likely interest Dubas.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Bond

May 10, 2012
Had no idea he scored 75 points this year, to be honest after his 87 point outburst I didn't think he'd score more than 70 ever again.
Yeah. He was really good last season. If a GM thinks he can do that for a couple more seasons and they got a two year window I could see them trading for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad