Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
May have missed this being posted already but Nick Robertson apparently requested a trade from Toronto. I know it's an unnatural fit, left shot left winger and pretty small.

Despite that, I just happen to quite like the player. He was pretty productive in his first "full" NHL season, just under a half point per game in 56 games but just 3 PP points and 11 mins per game. 17 goals in his first 87 NHL games with only one on the PP, and he's still only 22.

Kid has always been able to score. He's speedy and full of energy. I think if given consistent offensive opportunities, he can be a pesky little 25+ goal scorer, maybe more. If he's telling the Leafs he'll hold out as an RFA and won't sign, it may be a good buy low opportunity. Worry more about perfect fits when we can ice a half decent roster

Reactions: Boo Boo

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Have we had the annual minor league trade with Toronto yet?
I would imagine Toronto is over the cap right now. I could see Verbeek taking Marner's salary. I doubt any team with any ambitions to contend has any cap space after today.

If PV gets him cheap enough now and turns him at the TDL, it would be a good move. It gets us to the floor and gives us at least a 1st+.

Mitch would need to waive his NMC, but he would be going to a contender in March.

John

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I can see us taking some cap casualties after today.

It does seem like we will be getting a top 10 pick next year based on the team we are going to ice.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No AHL signings at the very least is puzzling. I’m sure growing the fan base in SD area is important and in order to do so they need to put a good product on the ice.

Haha yeah I would have expected some sort of outside hire by now. Cap friendly is up to 160 signings reported on the day, zero by Anaheim (they don't have Vaak or Leason yet).

Reactions: GiveYouABagOfPucks

000x000

Nov 11, 2023
8vmh1b.jpg

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I mean all he's gonna say is something along the lines of "Other teams outbid me and I wasn't willing to handcuff the team to long term, big money contracts for aging players when I have so many young players to sign in the upcoming years." which seems pretty obvious, unless people actually believe he just sat at home all day doing nothing which is just silly.
Has it occurred to anyone else that he hasn't shot his shot yet? Like, there is zero chance that he's doing absolutely nothing. And he basically called his shot when he said he wanted a top-six forward and a top-four defenseman. The dude is a pro and he knows it'll mean his head if he does nothing after talking that talk.

I think it's possible, probable maybe, that he's working on a trade. And I think it's going to be Zegras and/or Gibson that's involved. Isn't it obvious that if you do jack squat in one avenue of player acquisition, your focus is probably on the other?

Reactions: goonsaredumb

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Has it occurred to anyone else that he hasn't shot his shot yet? Like, there is zero chance that he's doing absolutely nothing. And he basically called his shot when he said he wanted a top-six forward and a top-four defenseman. The dude is a pro and he knows it'll mean his head if he does nothing after talking that talk.

I think it's possible, probable maybe, that he's working on a trade. And I think it's going to be Zegras and/or Gibson that's involved. Isn't it obvious that if you do jack squat in one avenue of player acquisition, your focus is probably on the other?
Or he struck out and that’s that

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I would imagine Toronto is over the cap right now. I could see Verbeek taking Marner's salary. I doubt any team with any ambitions to contend has any cap space after today.

If PV gets him cheap enough now and turns him at the TDL, it would be a good move. It gets us to the floor and gives us at least a 1st+.

Mitch would need to waive his NMC, but he would be going to a contender in March.

John
I can’t see them dumping him for anything less than the standard 1st/roster player/prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad