P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's like people want the BMW but want to play the price of a Civic for it. And that makes sense to some.

Makes sense to me. 'Cause I will choose to "lease" the BMW instead of buying it...Let's lease the BMW for 2 years and then when I'll have more money in my pockets and when my situation will permit it....I'll buy it long term. :D

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Haha, no :naughty:

Money isn't the be all and end all imo. Players play to win the Stanley Cup no? They get paid well for it, but if they're not getting paid then they are not playing and they can't win the Stanley Cup.

PK thinks he is worth more, that's fine, but he will not have the chance to play hockey until they agree. So while PK wants 'what he thinks he is worth' he will not be playing until the Canadiens decide otherwise.

Nobel thought...but show me a player who will give up his salary for an entire year, and I might believe that.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Nobel thought...but show me a player who will give up his salary for an entire year, and I might believe that.

Nowhere did I say sacrifice an entire year of salary. 'Assuming' that his agent and the habs have talked numbers there should at least be some semblance of what it would take from the habs side of things.

Kariya and Selanne took paycuts to play together in Colorado...but the NHLPA didn't like that. Players take hometown discounts all the time.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Makin less money doesn't mean your less important. Should 3rd and 4th liners take shifts and nights off cause the're payed less then top 6 players?

At the end of the day, PK is going to get a long term contract in 2 -3 years from now and making a **** load of money, he doesn't need to be acting this way right now and should get back into action especially with this year counting and already half done

Well no, but you do know they get paid and play less right??
If Armstrong plays in the top 6 all year, gets 20G 50pts, he won't ask for 3x what he's making?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Makes sense to me. 'Cause I will choose to "lease" the BMW instead of buying it...Let's lease the BMW for 2 years and then when I'll have more money in my pockets and when my situation will permit it....I'll buy it long term. :D

lol well played WS...but come on, you can't be serious here.

Don't you find it odd that the Habs ask so much of Subban, yet are so hesitant to pay him?

There's a disconnect somewhere...and while I certainly understand and even on some level, support Bergevin's stance. I can't help but think Subban has alot more leverage than people think.

His main arguments are made by the Habs themselves.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You realize that the payment over a year for a 2 y lease will pretty much equal the yearly payments of a purchase over 5-6y?
But nice try ;)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You realize that the payment over a year for a 2 y lease will pretty much equal the yearly payments of a purchase over 5-6y?
But nice try ;)

Well my comparison was between leasing an old model compared to buying a new car. :D

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
So I have a question to all those that want PK signed asap.

Why do you think the habs haven't signed him? Any thoughts?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
lol well played WS...but come on, you can't be serious here.

Don't you find it odd that the Habs ask so much of Subban, yet are so hesitant to pay him?

There's a disconnect somewhere...and while I certainly understand and even on some level, support Bergevin's stance. I can't help but think Subban has alot more leverage than people think.

His main arguments are made by the Habs themselves.

I'm not personnally hesitant. I have confidence in Subban though I'm a little perplex about the love, or lack of love from his own teamates. If he really is driving everybody crazy, we need to give a contract so that we could get rid of it if we really need to. That, and the fact that Bergevin wants to establish a structure with the Subban contract. If he succeeds, the rest will from now on always be compared to what Subban got. And it will even be easier for Bergevin especially since most of those players will be less important to the team. Just putting myself in Bergevin's shoes to understand him. But of course, personnally, I'd give PK 5-5,5 M$ for 7 years. I would have no hesitation in giving him that.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
No doubt, Pk has been relatively good for us, but he has not yet solidified himself as a number 1 defenseman. Sure, he's been an important player for us for a good portion of his career, but it doesn't mean he is entitled to a huge contract. Stuff like this matters in the lockeroom, doesn't help his reputation.

So you think you will be a superstar for years? You say you love the team and it's fans? You say you miss hockey? You say you want to prove yourself? Then accept a short term deal at good /fair money like Price and Max and get on with it. Nobody is asking Subban to accept any deal, we are asking him to accept a fair deal for both sides, then he can make his money after he proves to all that he is as determined and good as he thinks he is.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well my comparison was between leasing an old model compared to buying a new car. :D

Well that doesn't work as an analogy. We are not talking about replacing PK for 2 years of a cheaper Dman.
If you lease an old Beemer, you gonna expect it to be as good as the new one?
Doesn't work buddy..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So I have a question to all those that want PK signed asap.

Why do you think the habs haven't signed him? Any thoughts?

Because Bergevin, as a rookie GM, is focusing more on establishing a reputation and instilling a salary structure than paying a player his fair value.
I'm 100% sure PK would be signed already if we had a veteran GM.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm giving up on this thread.

I wish there was a sticky with updates only. I come in here to get the latest but I have to go back and read through 3-4 pages of arguments. Nothing against that, just wish there was a place to get the latest on the situation quickly.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not personnally hesitant. I have confidence in Subban though I'm a little perplex about the love, or lack of love from his own teamates. If he really is driving everybody crazy, we need to give a contract so that we could get rid of it if we really need to. That, and the fact that Bergevin wants to establish a structure with the Subban contract. If he succeeds, the rest will from now on always be compared to what Subban got. And it will even be easier for Bergevin especially since most of those players will be less important to the team. Just putting myself in Bergevin's shoes to understand him. But of course, personnally, I'd give PK 5-5,5 M$ for 7 years. I would have no hesitation in giving him that.

Firstly, I've never heard anyone say they dislike Subban...I have a close friend who annoys the hell out of me, but i'm also one of his best men at his wedding this summer. Again, don't let media's perceptions influence your thinking (easier said then done though).

I've said it several times but Mathieu Darche was on Antichambre talking about PK and for a guy who was 'rumored' to be one of those who didn't get along with PK, he sure didn't imply he had a problem with his attitude...in fact he went out of his way to commend his attitude and insisted that PK should never change.

PK Subban is different, and he's different in many ways...and in the hockey community, being 'different' (not specifically referring to race btw) is often misinterpreted.

Jeremy Roenick had one of the worst reputations in his early days in Chicago...yet by the time he retired, he was one of the most beloved players.

I don't think that kind of stuff is nearly as relevant as people think....

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Because Bergevin, as a rookie GM, is focusing more on establishing a reputation and instilling a salary structure than paying a player his fair value.
I'm 100% sure PK would be signed already if we had a veteran GM.

Ok, so let's assume you're right for argument's sake, why do you think Bergevin is doing things this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad