Owen Sound Attack 2024-25 Season, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
rehkopf getting moved in the summer changed the game for all the top players, they want and can get moved in sept vs jan now, thats the only real reason its happening now. interesting to see if it has staying power
That's also up to GM's if they are ok not getting a 16 year old back in return. If they can make deals work without a 16 year old, they would probably prefer moving a guy early. Get your roster set sooner. Let kids develop instead of having someone take up ice time. Plus you probably get a pick or two more in return for a full season's service.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
The biggest dissappointing feature of this whole debacle will be not recieving a 1st rounder from the most recent draft.. Thats just my opinion though. Although if enough other pieces come back then it can make up for it.. I'm not sold on just getting draft picks in return not that I think that is a real viable or likely option anyway. Barlow honestly didnt really do the team any kind of favours and other gms kinda have dd by the balls at the moment.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I agree, this trade demand causes me to have a concern with his attitude. It’d be a different story if he was sitting in the press box and not getting any ice time, but he’s the face of the franchise.

Has Barlow or his agent given and logical explanation for the trade demand?
Colby is a quality person .
Any team in the league would be lucky to have him .

That's why there's so much hype around him .

Cedrick Guindon did the same thing . Not one word about him ?

As stated by others, there's a lot that went on behind the scenes previously.

That's moved west.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That's also up to GM's if they are ok not getting a 16 year old back in return. If they can make deals work without a 16 year old, they would probably prefer moving a guy early. Get your roster set sooner. Let kids develop instead of having someone take up ice time. Plus you probably get a pick or two more in return for a full season's service.

100 percent, plus to be honest your getting a guy for a full year but paying only 20/25 percent more then what the price would be at the deadline.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Waiting to get a 16 yr old is not necessarily the goal. Selling teams will hang on to star players until the deadline because they want to sell tickets. Also, good 17 yr olds are harder to come by because they contribute to the buying team more now than the 16 yr old; so selling teams may need to look for greatest potential, even if it pushes the next competitive period to a year later.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Maybe Roger Hunt realized what a brutal overpay it was going to be.

Who knew!

its moving forward as reported, im 100 perccent confident in that. probably goes threw closer to friday, maybe monday depending on the xrays.

two players (the ones posted on here), 6 picks in total, 2 of them 2nds, 2 of them 3rds, and two depth picks.

roger hunt and rocco are very happy.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I have to say, in the limited times I've heard Scott Wray speak it's crystal clear that this guy is different than what we've seen in Owen Sound in some time. Calm demeanor, to the point, recognizes there's work to be done but doesn't forget that they're kids and it needs to be fun too. He just seems to get it and hit the right notes. It's pretty damn hard to criticize anything and looks like a total home run by DeGray in the early going.

Only two games played but already noticeable for me at least, the fourth line gets a regular turn, the 6th D doesn't sit for the entire third period etc. Everybody plays. Really love what I've seen so far.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
The biggest dissappointing feature of this whole debacle will be not recieving a 1st rounder from the most recent draft.. Thats just my opinion though. Although if enough other pieces come back then it can make up for it.. I'm not sold on just getting draft picks in return not that I think that is a real viable or likely option anyway. Barlow honestly didnt really do the team any kind of favours and other gms kinda have dd by the balls at the moment.
I think if you break it down, the 07 group is becoming the obvious focus group for the Attack's next contention window in my opinion. Your 06 group is the OA group. The Attack's roster currently has Cormier and Tersigni at forward, Rogers on D and George in net. George is already signed and won't be back as an OA. Tersigni isn't an OA caliber player. Cormier and Rogers maybe. Bring in Bedkowski, who has a late birthday and is draft eligible for the first time this year, and that immediately improves your 06 group. Delisle adds to what appears to be a very nice and deep collection of 07s with what I think appears to be strong 08 group and the pieces of this deal start coming into the picture of what I think they are trying to do.

Would an 08 first rounder have been great? Absolutely without question. I still think this deal with Oshawa, as reported at least, makes a whole lot of sense with what the Attack are building towards.

I think in general the Attack have had success because they often build teams with a competitive window of players that don't require major roster surgery come deadline time to be competitive. This has allowed them to avoid the extreme highs and lows of the OHL cycles. This 100% fits with what they've historically done all while restocking a depleted draft cupboard.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
rehkopf getting moved in the summer changed the game for all the top players, they want and can get moved in sept vs jan now, thats the only real reason its happening now. interesting to see if it has staying power
When do you predict this gets done? Greg Cowan thinks tomorrow. Since it’s almost 5:30, I can’t see it happening this evening.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I have no “track record” when it comes to guessing potential trades because I don’t partake in that speculation.

A billet parent at the game Sunday night told me two completely different names that were apparently involved in the Barlow trade rumours. Was it any more accurate than the “insiders” on these boards?

Regardless of the source, I always think it through logically and rely on my own observations when analyzing it.

I know that Bedkowski is far better than a “third pairing defenceman” and that Delisle is infinitely better than a “fourth line centre” and that’s why I immediately called it an overpay.

I also know that Barlow has demanded a trade so if we think it through logically, does that help or hinder Owen Sound’s leverage in a trade?
He is definitely better than a 3rd pair D, you’re not wrong. He’s a good player but he isn’t going to play ahead of Danford or Marrelli. He’s going to do really well for Owen sound though, hes made for the Bayshore. Same with Delisle. Kid plays the game hard and smart. But not going to get a huge role if he stayed in Oshawa this year.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Delisle should be there for 4 seasons, Bedkowski could also play an OA season and therefore 3 seasons for you guys. Plus some 2nd’s and 3rd’s. This is a nice return imo, great hockey trade overall.

Reactions: Millpond

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
He is definitely better than a 3rd pair D, you’re not wrong. He’s a good player but he isn’t going to play ahead of Danford or Marrelli. He’s going to do really well for Owen sound though, hes made for the Bayshore. Same with Delisle. Kid plays the game hard and smart. But not going to get a huge role if he stayed in Oshawa this year.
You're exactly right.

The poster you're replying to likes to purposely leave out context so that he can just rant for the sake of ranting.

Is Bedkowski higher in the lineup than 5/6 D on 80% of OHL teams? Yes. Is he higher in the lineup than 5/6 D on the Gens this year? No.

So is he better than 3rd pair D? Not on the team he's currently on. But the second he gets traded to OS, then yes he definitely is. Which is why the trade makes sense for both teams. Gens get one of the best players in the league and it only costs them a their 3/4 C and a 5/6D and picks. OS gets two young guys who will very likely excel with more playing time and an expanded role on a team with more openings

Reactions: JoeSchmo

hockeyisbest

Oct 1, 2024
You're exactly right.

The poster you're replying to likes to purposely leave out context so that he can just rant for the sake of ranting.

Is Bedkowski higher in the lineup than 5/6 D on 80% of OHL teams? Yes. Is he higher in the lineup than 5/6 D on the Gens this year? No.

So is he better than 3rd pair D? Not on the team he's currently on. But the second he gets traded to OS, then yes he definitely is. Which is why the trade makes sense for both teams. Gens get one of the best players in the league and it only costs them a their 3/4 C and a 5/6D and picks. OS gets two young guys who will very likely excel with more playing time and an expanded role on a team with more openings
So Oshawa picks up a prima donna for one season. Barlow doesn’t show very much grit, definitely not a team player. Not really sure why Oshawa wants him.

• Haha
Reactions: MJ5

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
So Oshawa picks up a prima donna for one season. Barlow doesn’t show very much grit, definitely not a team player. Not really sure why Oshawa wants him.
I don't think we need to be attacking the character of a 19 year old for doing the thing that many other players of similar talent have done previously in the league. This isn't some new phenomenon. Owen Sound won't be giving him away in the deal and gets useful players back and draft capital. Everybody wins.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
After having some time to let this deal marinate, and since it appears to be going down today barring a significant injury to Bedkowski, I'm liking it more and more. The draft pick cupboard is finally restocked, and we're getting the better part of 7 seasons of potential service time from two guys who want to come here, and who both may benefit from increased ice time in their draft years.

A bit too fresh to talk about the legacy of Barlow in Owen Sound (looking forward to arguing he leaves with the least amount of success of any star player in OS's 35 year history), but still hope he does well for the next team and we can cheer him on in December at the World Juniors.

Reactions: Stellar29

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
O/S fans need to look at it as Barlow giving this team this team a chance to restock and rebuild.
If he wasn't the player he is skill wise he would have no value and you would not be in a position to obtain a massive return for him.
If he was to stay 1 more season it would be a complete waste (Use Ludwinski playing last season in Kingston as an example) -They lost him for nothing.
Barlow won't be back for an OA season. -It's now or never to move him and get the massive return.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
You're exactly right.

It allows Oshawa to add Andrew Gibson at the deadline after he brings home the gold medal! 👀

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
After having some time to let this deal marinate, and since it appears to be going down today barring a significant injury to Bedkowski, I'm liking it more and more. The draft pick cupboard is finally restocked, and we're getting the better part of 7 seasons of potential service time from two guys who want to come here, and who both may benefit from increased ice time in their draft years.

A bit too fresh to talk about the legacy of Barlow in Owen Sound (looking forward to arguing he leaves with the least amount of success of any star player in OS's 35 year history), but still hope he does well for the next team and we can cheer him on in December at the World Juniors.
The most recent player comparable talent wise(NHL 1st round pick) is Nick Suzuki. Suzuki had elite IQ and playmaking in addition to a great shot. He was great at using his teammates and making them better which had a greater impact on the team and it's success. Barlow is more of an elite complementary player as he works in tunnels too frequently and forces shots from bad angles rather than trying to make a play. If he ever develops some ability to better utilize his line mates he would have a greater impact overall on the team's success beyond the goal scoring he provides. He also doesn't generate his own offense with the same frequency as a Suzuki would and is more dependent on his line mates to generate chances for him. He's great at finding the quiet parts of the ice to be available for scoring chances but you need somebody who can feed him the puck. There's a number of high end forwards on the Oshawa roster that I'm sure he can find success with.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
The most recent player comparable talent wise(NHL 1st round pick) is Nick Suzuki. Suzuki had elite IQ and playmaking in addition to a great shot. He was great at using his teammates and making them better which had a greater impact on the team and it's success. Barlow is more of an elite complementary player as he works in tunnels too frequently and forces shots from bad angles rather than trying to make a play. If he ever develops some ability to better utilize his line mates he would have a greater impact overall on the team's success beyond the goal scoring he provides. He also doesn't generate his own offense with the same frequency as a Suzuki would and is more dependent on his line mates to generate chances for him. He's great at finding the quiet parts of the ice to be available for scoring chances but you need somebody who can feed him the puck. There's a number of high end forwards on the Oshawa roster that I'm sure he can find success with.

More talking about the team success while he was the guy here. Suzuki's teams played six playoff rounds in three years in Owen Sound. Hishon era had the championship. Bobby Ryan's squads had a couple of playoff round wins but cut short by historically strong competition. Even the Nastasiuk/Bigras teams won a playoff series. Barlow's three years produced three playoff wins total, all in year one.

Barlow no doubt the best goal scorer in team history and a healthy Barlow probably already has the franchise goal record. The list of OHLers who were more efficient per game goal scorers than Barlow this century is pretty short and almost everyone above him became really good NHLers or stars.

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
More talking about the team success while he was the guy here. Suzuki's teams played six playoff rounds in three years in Owen Sound. Hishon era had the championship. Bobby Ryan's squads had a couple of playoff round wins but cut short by historically strong competition. Even the Nastasiuk/Bigras teams won a playoff series. Barlow's three years produced three playoff wins total, all in year one.

Barlow no doubt the best goal scorer in team history and a healthy Barlow probably already has the franchise goal record. The list of OHLers who were more efficient per game goal scorers than Barlow this century is pretty short and almost everyone above him became really good NHLers or stars.
The part about team success is unquestionably true. And it's not like the roster was bereft of talent outside of Barlow either. The strongest rosters in the Barlow era both exited with 4-0 sweeps in the opening round. The last two years have resulted in regular seasons below expectations and led to brutal first round matchups followed by a swift exit. It's crazy to think that group of talent went 0-8 combined in two playoffs.

Reactions: PensFan101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad