Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Honestly, in a perfect world for me, Barlow ends up in Flint this year and then while they’re rebuilding over the next two years Owen Sound is rolling and I can cheer for them in the playoffs.
I'm not sure Flint has the bullets left to pull that off. According to the pick database, Flint only has a 2026 2nd left. Cole Zurawski would have to be a part of the package and moving #6 picks is pretty rare. Porter Martone(pick #5 2022) is a pretty good recent example of the risks involved with that kind of a move. I'm sure Owen Sound would love to get a player like Zurawski though.

With the Barlow and Bertucci connection, I don't imagine moving Barlow to Flint would be an obstacle for the player.

Hypothetically, if we were to use the Owen Beck template from last year(#16 Aiden Young, two 2nds, one 3rd), something like this might make sense:

To Owen Sound:
Cole Zurawski
'26 SSM 2nd
'25 SAG 3rd
'26 WSR 3rd

To Flint:
Colby Barlow

Zurawski being pick #6 while Young being #16 discounts the deal to one 2nd and two 3rds. The picks and draft class fill needs in Owen Sound's pick cupboard. Who says "No"?

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I think we're being a bit optimistic assuming that Barlow will get traded this season. We can hope DeGray learned from his mistakes waiting too long to trade Suzuki at the 2019 deadline, but there's way more history to suggest that the team sits 6-8th by the end of December, propped up largely by having the best goalie in the league and the best pure goal scorer, the team tinkers around the edges of the roster, and Barlow finishes his career in Attackland.

It's a fun discussion and I'd love to see what the Attack can do with a full cupboard, but we have to acknowledge the assumption being made here is far from a certainty.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not sure Flint has the bullets left to pull that off. According to the pick database, Flint only has a 2026 2nd left. Cole Zurawski would have to be a part of the package and moving #6 picks is pretty rare. Porter Martone(pick #5 2022) is a pretty good recent example of the risks involved with that kind of a move. I'm sure Owen Sound would love to get a player like Zurawski though.

With the Barlow and Bertucci connection, I don't imagine moving Barlow to Flint would be an obstacle for the player.

Hypothetically, if we were to use the Owen Beck template from last year(#16 Aiden Young, two 2nds, one 3rd), something like this might make sense:

To Owen Sound:
Cole Zurawski
'26 SSM 2nd
'25 SAG 3rd
'26 WSR 3rd

To Flint:
Colby Barlow

Zurawski being pick #6 while Young being #16 discounts the deal to one 2nd and two 3rds. The picks and draft class fill needs in Owen Sound's pick cupboard. Who says "No"?
That would be reasonable for both sides I think. Another trade to compare is Martone (#5), 2nd (very next draft) for DelMastro who was arguably the best all around OHL D available.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I think we're being a bit optimistic assuming that Barlow will get traded this season. We can hope DeGray learned from his mistakes waiting too long to trade Suzuki at the 2019 deadline, but there's way more history to suggest that the team sits 6-8th by the end of December, propped up largely by having the best goalie in the league and the best pure goal scorer, the team tinkers around the edges of the roster, and Barlow finishes his career in Attackland.

It's a fun discussion and I'd love to see what the Attack can do with a full cupboard, but we have to acknowledge the assumption being made here is far from a certainty.
I can't imagine any scenario where they stand pat. Our pick cupboard is stripped bare and it would be total negligence to not try and fill those gaps this season by moving pieces out. The only way, at least in my opinion, Barlow finishes the season with the Attack is if he refuses to move.

I'm hopeful we can fill the gaps in our draft pick cupboard this season. I don't think we have enough pieces to move to gain a surplus of picks which would be ideal to set up the team/organization for a legit title run but the Attack haven't ever really been big buyers anyways. I think if they continue to build around the 07/08 age group, there are some really nice pieces that will hopefully build the runway towards a championship window.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I

I'd be shocked if CB was wearing the bear in March '25

Reactions: frontsfan67

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I

I'd be shocked if CB was wearing the bear in March '25
I would be too (maybe deeply disappointed is a better term). I'm concerned after last season, and several years in the past, where selling at the deadline made sense but never happened, that we're taking a sell-off for granted and assuming that the ownership is ever going to wave the white flag on a season.

Biggest concern being that, despite how young and otherwise middling the team looks on paper, we've got a goalie (and maybe 2) that could mask a lot of weaknesses this season.

So don't get me wrong I'm 100% for trading Barlow this year and hope it happens for the long term success of the team.

Anyway, back to other discussions.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

ryan would only agree to a trade if durzi went with him, that was the issue that year. he had control of the process. got what they could for him. rob suzuki does continue to speak highly of owen sound and dale for doing that thou, not that they had a choice, nick had total control.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That would be reasonable for both sides I think. Another trade to compare is Martone (#5), 2nd (very next draft) for DelMastro who was arguably the best all around OHL D available.
There’s Jeremy Martin, Jimmy Lombardi and Rylan Fellinger too. I’m a pretty big fan of 2 of those and like the third but it takes assets to acquire assets. With George being an ‘06 it might not be a bad idea for OS to look at ‘07’s as much as a high-end ‘08. We’ll see. I want OS to take advantage of the assets that Barlow would be bring this year and I’d love to see him in Flint so I’m just daydreaming here. Would be thrilled to see a transaction between the two teams that benefits both.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i would bet that barrie would be all over barlow and would probably offer vaughan and picks as well.

romani and barlow would be the top 05s up for trade, romani being a 2 year guy in theory would maybe bring more conditional picks. if kitchener puts up rehkopf that could change as well.

brampton, hamilton, barrie, kingston, flint, oshawa should all be aggressive buyers. it wouldnt shock me to see teams like windsor make a soft buy. london will do what london does, i think erie may as well.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
There’s Jeremy Martin, Jimmy Lombardi and Rylan Fellinger too. I’m a pretty big fan of 2 of those and like the third but it takes assets to acquire assets. With George being an ‘06 it might not be a bad idea for OS to look at ‘07’s as much as a high-end ‘08. We’ll see. I want OS to take advantage of the assets that Barlow would be bring this year and I’d love to see him in Flint so I’m just daydreaming here. Would be thrilled to see a transaction between the two teams that benefits both.
Just my own opinion but George being an 06 is the problem in that scenario. The Attack's 06 crop isn't overly strong and George will more than likely be graduated by the time the 07 group is ready to compete. Cormier would have to really elevate and Ethier would need to be something on the back end I would think. Tersigni seems to be in a make or break it year. I still have hope for Rogers but this is a big year for him as well to show he can be a top four D. I think they have to focus on the 07/08 age group. How 07 goalie Koprowski fairs this year has a lot of sway in that discussion for me. If he does well, then that to me makes the decision fairly clear on what age group to run with. My personal preference would be to get an 08 in return for Barlow and aim for what will hopefully be a two year contention window around the 07/08 age groups. If the young players surprise this year then I could still see a scenario where they try and compete in George's final year in the league. You'd need Crawford and Nansi to take big strides this year and hope you get impact out of the two imports, Bleicher and Varosyan. I think they either do a soft sell in the 25-26 season or stand pat with George provided the 07/08 group is strong enough. I think the real push comes in the 26-27 season.

I love George and think he's a hell of a talent. Would be really disappointing to not make a run while they have him but I don't think the age groups line up. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong though.

Reactions: PensFan101

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
i would bet that barrie would be all over barlow and would probably offer vaughan and picks as well.

romani and barlow would be the top 05s up for trade, romani being a 2 year guy in theory would maybe bring more conditional picks. if kitchener puts up rehkopf that could change as well.

brampton, hamilton, barrie, kingston, flint, oshawa should all be aggressive buyers. it wouldnt shock me to see teams like windsor make a soft buy. london will do what london does, i think erie may as well.
Just more of a general question but are players like Vaughan and Zurawski legit #5 and #6 picks or did they go a little higher than expected because of all the jockeying around with the NCAA/USHL/BCHL shenanigans this year? Would they be treated as players picked at #5 and #6 respectively come the trade deadline or valued more around where teams had expected them to be picked? Players picked in those positions are rarely traded so just curious if team's would be more willing to deal those players this season because they may have been picked earlier than where they were anticipated to go?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just more of a general question but are players like Vaughan and Zurawski legit #5 and #6 picks or did they go a little higher than expected because of all the jockeying around with the NCAA/USHL/BCHL shenanigans this year? Would they be treated as players picked at #5 and #6 respectively come the trade deadline or valued more around where teams had expected them to be picked? Players picked in those positions are rarely traded so just curious if team's would be more willing to deal those players this season because they may have been picked earlier than where they were anticipated to go?
depends on the year, i think vaughan is more of a 6-10 type, zurawski a 5-7? not that far off. i dont think alot of the guys that went were truly high end, nyman as an example was the 5th highest defenceman in scoring on his own team, he was like 20th in scoring in the GTHL, how is that a top 5 pick? plus hes tiny.

valentini and croskery for me are the only 2 guys that would have been top 5/6 talents, malholta went where i thoguht his talent would suggest he go.

Reactions: Stellar29

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
None of those 3 players compares to martone though

Maybe if you do 2 but even then Owen sound I’m sure will get way better offers then that.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Brock Otten posted the review of the OHL's CHL Import Draft selections.

Seems like some cold water could be thrown on the Varosyan to Owen Sound scenario. Reading the write up about the kind of player he is and what he could bring to the Attack line up is awfully intriguing though. Hopefully they can lock down the commitment as it would seem he could be another one of those special talents who comes through Owen Sound and more than justifies the cost of admission in entertainment value.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Brock Otten posted the review of the OHL's CHL Import Draft selections.

Seems like some cold water could be thrown on the Varosyan to Owen Sound scenario. Reading the write up about the kind of player he is and what he could bring to the Attack line up is awfully intriguing though. Hopefully they can lock down the commitment as it would seem he could be another one of those special talents who comes through Owen Sound and more than justifies the cost of admission in entertainment value.
The thing with European players is that drafting them is always a gamble.

For starters the gamble, of European players reporting is something that comes up every year. From a statistical perspective the Europeans are interesting prospects and until we see what they're look like in training camp you really don't know what they have to contribute to the roster.

I don't think management is going to rush to sign either of them until they report to camp and step on the Bayshore ice. But as a prospect point of view they're interesting European prospects that hopefully will be part of this teams roster this season.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

For starters the gamble, of European players reporting is something that comes up every year. From a statistical perspective the Europeans are interesting prospects and until we see what they're look like in training camp you really don't know what they have to contribute to the roster.

I don't think management is going to rush to sign either of them until they report to camp and step on the Bayshore ice. But as a prospect point of view they're interesting European prospects that hopefully will be part of this teams roster this season.
They announced signing Martin Matejicek last year on August 3rd. I hope they can get the deals done prior training camp. I can't imagine either player comes to Owen Sound without a deal as both have options elsewhere, German pro league or the MHL.

From what I've been able to read about Bleicher and Varosyan, you sign both as soon as possible. If the Attack get both to report then it's an absolute homerun of an import draft I think. I've seen Bleicher rated as a B prospect for the 2025 NHL draft which you'd take all day long on the Attack roster. Varosyan isn't eligible until 2026 due to his late birthday but apparently has the potential to be an impact player in the OHL at 17, again, if you're the Attack you'd take that all day long. To me, both players have the potential to be impact players next season.

Generally speaking, I try and avoid the rose colored glasses but I'd get pen to paper as fast as possible for both players. I really like the potential both players present.

Reactions: KFawcett

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Think you are fairly accurate with that, although I am sure Guindon will be in the AHL . He asked for a trade last year and word is that his heart isn't in OS. I still hear that Hookey is a possibility in Sarnia (his hometown). Stewart is a possibility , if the coach likes his style. I think they have already told Jordan he will be there. When does the Barlow trade happen? That could really shake things up
The Colby Barlow trade (if it happens) will likely take place closer to the trade deadline when players taken in the 1st round can be traded.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

what? you dont draft a european and pay the 2k each just to give them the same tryout that you give some random walk on. they drafted them because they think that they are ready to play and no player or agent isnt sending their kid accross the world on a 'tryout'.

They announced signing Martin Matejicek last year on August 3rd. I hope they can get the deals done prior training camp. I can't imagine either player comes to Owen Sound without a deal as both have options elsewhere, German pro league or the MHL.
right, they are not coming on some tryout lol

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

From what I've been able to read about Bleicher and Varosyan, you sign both as soon as possible. If the Attack get both to report then it's an absolute homerun of an import draft I think. I've seen Bleicher rated as a B prospect for the 2025 NHL draft which you'd take all day long on the Attack roster. Varosyan isn't eligible until 2026 due to his late birthday but apparently has the potential to be an impact player in the OHL at 17, again, if you're the Attack you'd take that all day long. To me, both players have the potential to be impact players next season.

Generally speaking, I try and avoid the rose colored glasses but I'd get pen to paper as fast as possible for both players. I really like the potential both players present.

To be fair to the Brock Otten column, there wasn't anything in there about Varosyan suggesting he wouldn't be coming either way. I'm hopeful that, given both play for small clubs in their respective countries, that they're the exact types who would benefit from the exposure of playing major junior without being tied to a bigger club at home.

As others have alluded to they are instant day 1 signings if they'll report, Varosyan in particular would more than replace losing Addy at the trade deadline. Bleicher's impact is in my opinion going to hinge on how well the offensive flashes he showed in Oberliga translate to North America (assuming he comes). There aren't many players who have taken his path through his D-1 season and played on the national team.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
To be fair to the Brock Otten column, there wasn't anything in there about Varosyan suggesting he wouldn't be coming either way. I'm hopeful that, given both play for small clubs in their respective countries, that they're the exact types who would benefit from the exposure of playing major junior without being tied to a bigger club at home.

As others have alluded to they are instant day 1 signings if they'll report, Varosyan in particular would more than replace losing Addy at the trade deadline. Bleicher's impact is in my opinion going to hinge on how well the offensive flashes he showed in Oberliga translate to North America (assuming he comes). There aren't many players who have taken his path through his D-1 season and played on the national team.
Totally agree. Nobody has said they won't come but it's not a given they do come either. Just have to take DeGray at his word that both are expected to report.

In terms of impact, when was the last time the Attack had a blueliner drafted to the NHL? It's been a number of years and potentially bringing in a B rated prospect in Bleicher is awfully exciting. The blueline will be on the younger side next season so there should be plenty of opportunity to play a big role and eat minutes.

Reactions: KFawcett

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Totally agree. Nobody has said they won't come but it's not a given they do come either. Just have to take DeGray at his word that both are expected to report.

In terms of impact, when was the last time the Attack had a blueliner drafted to the NHL? It's been a number of years and potentially bringing in a B rated prospect in Bleicher is awfully exciting. The blueline will be on the younger side next season so there should be plenty of opportunity to play a big role and eat minutes.
Believe Sean Durzi in 2018 is the answer! It's been a minute.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

Stellar once again I totally agree with you. They aren't coming on a tryout and what I've read about both players they definitely need to be signed ASAP if possible.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Sean Durzi, Marcus Phillips ?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I am of the opinion it takes substantially more than $2000 to 'entice' top end imports to come to OS.

That is but one of many reasons we draft fairly well in the import draft and see mixed results when it comes to skates on ice .

Reactions: PensFan101

Sounder76

Nov 5, 2022

When was the last time DeGray said we had a stud Dman from Germany coming here that never showed? Cough, Moritz Seider. Before that, he told us Sergei Samsonov was gonna report, again no-show. Point being, don't hold your breath, but remain hopeful is the best way to look at it. It is a total gamble. Earlier, on this board, it was alluded to that both Imports had indicated to our always forthcoming and knowledgeable GM that they were reporting. That could simply be the agent feeding him you know what. So, let's hope for two of them, and realistically be happy if we get one, because the new coaches are gonna need all the help they can get.

Personally, I would have went with a more "safe" pick like Sudbury did after we picked the Russian kid when they grabbed Simon Nemec's younger brother. You know he wants to play here in the best junior league in the world and his older brother is already in the show here and nearby to assist culturally and personally. Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad