Overages for 2024-2025

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
So it appears that Peterborough and the Soo are the only teams left with over 3 OA's? Dylan Roobroeck got a goal tonight in the AHL. I think it's clear by this point that he's staying put.

Ryder McIntyre and Justin DeZoete are definitely on the bubble, but I don't think there's a rush, as both teams have OA goalies that can cycle in and out.

Maybe we can shift this conversation to teams that will be looking for an upgrade going forward. Owen Allard stands out as the big OA fish that may be available. On defense, Konnor Smith and Donovan McCoy may be on the move again. There are a lot of goalies, but many on hopeful contenders. Charlie Schenkel is the most obvious trade candidate.
The Petes no longer have Liam Sztuska. We was waived and is now playing for Shawnigan in the QMJHL. The Petes recently traded for Gavin Bryant who is expected to be in the lineup next week. They now have four overage forwards. I expect Ryder MacIntyre to be on the move.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Rangers are selling this year. OA Trent Swick should be in demand. And Adrian Miseljevic is currently leading all OA’s in scoring. He should draw interest as well.
I don’t see the Rangers moving OA G Jackson Parsons. OA G’s don’t hold much value so I’d assume he’d be more valuable to the Rangers playing out his junior eligibility here.
Do you expect that to be the case even if they remain in the division lead? The same kind of conversations are being had in the Soo, where they have a good shot at a home playoff spot, but kind of need to sell.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The Rangers have already began the process by moving Rehkopf. I can see them continuing the sell off but it wouldn’t surprise me if they only moved Andonovski and held onto the OA’s. It’ll depend on apparent saturated OA market.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Brampton is in prime position to pick who they want and not pay a huge price.
That's perhaps true for a more middle tier guy like Swick, but the elite OA's will always garner a huge price because there's only a couple of them. Not to dismiss your argument, but we hear the same thing every year and the elite NHL drafted guys don't see an OA discount at all.

Dylan Wakely already went for a promising 2023 first round pick and 2 other picks. Guys like Owen Allard and Brady Stonehouse are almost certainly going to match or exceed that return, with the former being a Team Canada junior caliber player. The same could be true for other top OA's like Karabela, Smith, McCoy, Delic, or Misaljevic, depending on what kind of seasons they have and whether they are available or not.

I see Brampton and Kingston both looking to add two OA'S, (one being a goalie for the latter). Brantford, Sarnia, and Saginaw have opportunities for big upgrades on their current situations. Oshawa and London both have guys off to really disappointing starts, which has to be a concern. Then, of course, there are injuries. There will certainly be market outside of Brampton.

Last edited:

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
That's perhaps true for a more middle tier guy like Swick, but the elite OA's will always garner a huge price because there's only a couple of them. Not to dismiss your argument, but we hear the same thing every year and the elite NHL drafted guys don't see an OA discount at all.

Dylan Wakely already went for a promising 2023 first round pick and 2 other picks. Guys like Owen Allard and Brady Stonehouse are almost certainly going to match or exceed that return, with the former being a Team Canada junior caliber player. The same could be true for other top OA's like Karabela, Smith, McCoy, Delic, or Misaljevic, depending on what kind of seasons they have and whether they are available or not.
I agree but how many teams are realistically gonna upgrade what they have? I see Kingston Oshawa Flint as teams who could
Upgrade over the 3 guys they have. Oshawa will depend on what happens with Roorebeck. Kingston could upgrade on Heyes and Flint on Smith. Maybe Saginaw upgrades on Forgione but they lack picks

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I agree but how many teams are realistically gonna upgrade what they have? I see Kingston Oshawa Flint as teams who could
Upgrade over the 3 guys they have. Oshawa will depend on what happens with Roorebeck. Kingston could upgrade on Heyes and Flint on Smith. Maybe Saginaw upgrades on Forgione but they lack picks
Brampton probably wants 2 guys and maybe Kingston as well if Lalonde plays to career norms. I think Brantford and London may want to add, depending on performance of their existing guys. Maybe Sarnia if they want to make a run. Then there's injuries, of course.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Brampton probably wants 2 guys and maybe Kingston as well if Lalonde plays to career norms. I think Brantford and London may want to add, depending on performance of their existing guys. Maybe Sarnia if they want to make a run. Then there's injuries, of course.
Brantford has 4 quality guys already now with Hamara back don’t see them adding anyone else. Cant see sarnia making any type of run it’s just not the year for them I think they come back down to earth eventually a bit and end up 7-8 seed.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Brantford has 4 quality guys already now with Hamara back don’t see them adding anyone else. Cant see sarnia making any type of run it’s just not the year for them I think they come back down to earth eventually a bit and end up 7-8 seed.
What's the story with Bujold? He hasn't played this year. For a team that's making a run, it wouldn't be uncommon for a guy like Lavoie to move for an upgrade. The Greyhounds did it last year, for example.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I didn't proclaim that he will get more, but he could if he has a good season. The same player will often go for more at the deadline and Stonehouse brings a more well rounded game with good scoring touch to the table. Someone will pay big for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
What's the story with Bujold? He hasn't played this year. For a team that's making a run, it wouldn't be uncommon for a guy like Lavoie to move for an upgrade. The Greyhounds did it last year, for example.
Not sure but if he’s back then they may just cut Lavoie for Bujold. They paid a decent price to bring Lavoie in last year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I didn't proclaim that he will get more, but he could if he has a good season. The same player will often go for more at the deadline and Stonehouse brings a more well rounded game with good scoring touch to the table. Someone will pay big for him.

Wakely was the top OA available this year. Allard and Swick are among the many next best OA forwards potentially available, but maybe not as pricy as some OA defensemen. Stonehouse has value too as I believe he play both LW & RW effectively.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Wakely was the top OA available this year. Allard and Swick are among the many next best OA forwards potentially available, but maybe not as pricy as some OA defensemen. Stonehouse has value too as I believe he play both LW & RW effectively.
Canada's best hockey minds consider Allard the better player, but I can see your side if a team is more focused on our offense than a 2-way guy. Allard is more like an Owen Beck that didn't get the proper recognition as a late bloomer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad