Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
but he does play on the PK. Whether it’s a minute a year or 100 minutes a year. He’s been on the PK before I’ve seen it with my own two eyes.

So you saying he doesn’t play on it is already starting from falsehood. So you aren’t evaluating anything from a point of truth.

Sid is often 360th or so in PK minutes in the regular season.

Sid averages all of 13 seconds of PK per game in the playoffs - which is mostly not PK'ing at all, but really jumping on the ice after the real penalty killers dumped the puck in at the very end of a PK or - more likely - playing at the end of games when the Pens are down by a goal with his own goalie pulled.

NHL.com Stats

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby plays a lot, more than any other forward.

No he doesn't. What on Earth are you talking about. Your post is utter nonsense. Crosby's stats are absolutely not skewed relative to the other players I listed. Those other players are just way better than him defensively.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Chill out my dude. Breathe a little bit.

I'm talking about on his team.

Chris Kunitz's (Sid's most common linemate) defensive stats over that same time frame are like 2.21 GA per 60 (compared to Sid's 2.7). Way better than Sid's. Same goes for his other linemates as well.

So no, it's not circumstantial based on the team or anything like that. Crosby just plain sucks at defense and has sucked at defense for his entire career.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Uh, there is absolutely nothing fancy at all about it. It is the polar opposite of fancy. There's no BS "expected goals" or any other manipulated subjective crap in there (like what you just posted). It's simply even strength goals against while Sidney Crosby is on the ice. It is the pure unadulterated result of Crosby's defense, and Sid's results are dog poop.

Sidney Crosby's defensive statistics are friggin terrible - worse than Alex Ovechkin's in the regular season, and far worse than Alex Ovechkin's defensive result in the playoffs.

So wait... you comment on one part of my response but leave the other one out? conveniently the part calling you out about absolutely ridiculous stats added into a chart that is so asinine to even fathom putting in a chart to compare players.

Its honestly not even worth my time taking you seriously or responding to you if you believe that PowerPlay Short Handed goals against is an indicator of how good or bad a single player is at defense. I truly hope you understand how stupid that is and sounds. If you don’t, I’ll add you to the weekly prayer list at mass on Sunday.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Sid is often 360th or so in PK minutes in the regular season.

Sid averages all of 13 seconds of PK per game in the playoffs - which is mostly not PK'ing at all, but really jumping on the ice after the real penalty killers dumped the puck in at the very end of a PK or - more likely - playing at the end of games when the Pens are down by a goal with his own goalie pulled.

NHL.com Stats

So what I got from your response is that he does play on the PK, although not much, but he does. And you were wrong is saying he never does? That’s all I needed. Thanks

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
So wait... you comment on one part of my response but leave the other one out? conveniently the part calling you out about absolutely ridiculous stats added into a chart that is so asinine to even fathom putting in a chart to compare players.

You are free to ignore the powerplay defense part of the chart if you want.

You are pretending that part of the chart somehow taints the other part. That's wishful thinking on your part.

Sid's defensive results are terrible. Maybe you're just in denial.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You are free to ignore the powerplay defense part of the chart if you want.

You are pretending that part of the chart somehow taints the other part. That's wishful thinking on your part.

It certainly does taint it. It shows how much bias you have to prove your nonexistent point by cherry picking the most ludicrous numbers you can find.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Its honestly not even worth my time taking you seriously or responding to you if you believe that PowerPlay Short Handed goals against is an indicator of how good or bad a single player is at defense. I truly hope you understand how stupid that is and sounds. If you don’t, I’ll add you to the weekly prayer list at mass on Sunday.

Every powerplay seeks to eliminate short handed goals against.

You can claim Sid has no defensive responsibility on the PP, and other players carry him in this regard, but you can't claim eliminating SH goals against isn't an objective.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It certainly does taint it. It shows how much bias you have to prove your nonexistent point by cherry picking the most ludicrous numbers you can find.

Feel free to fact check the numbers. They are objective and validated. You are in denial.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Chris Kunitz's (Sid's most common linemate) defensive stats over that same time frame are like 2.21 GA per 60 (compared to Sid's 2.7). Way better than Sid's. Same goes for his other linemates as well.

So no, it's not circumstantial based on the team or anything like that. Crosby just plain sucks at defense and has sucked at defense for his entire career.

Are you really bringing up pace?

How ironic.

Reactions: Sour Shoes

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I wasn’t dancing around anything I just wanted to make sure with what you were referencing.

I have thoughts and ideas with that list, but since that’s not the question. Well, what you see as “Weak” is humorous considering what he’s up against. He didn’t get to play on any dynasty’s or in an O6 era like a Majority of those players, but sure...it’s “weak.”

Again, “weak” is subjective. He still is one of the best playoff performers of his era, and he still got it done. I mean Crosby’s cup wins and smythes are weak to many of those players too, yet that doesn’t get talked about? He has 3 cups and 2 smythes while not leading any one of them in scoring, and has by far one...if not the weakest smythe post lockout. If your going to compare, don’t treat Crosby like loyalty, see it for what it is. Crosby doesn’t have Richards goal scoring or cups in the playoffs, Crosby doesn’t have Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky numbers in the playoffs....

If it was Crosby In the same situation on the verge of breaking the all time assists record, I’m sure you would feel differently. Breaking that record is bigger than your thinking. It’s a record that hasn’t really been touched. It’s something special. If that’s not enough for you, then that’s fine, but your definitely underselling it.

Single season peak? No, he has a superior peak by far. Even Malkin has the better single season peak than Crosby, but Ovechkins 08-10 was better than anything Crosby put together. So don’t sell it short as a “single” season peak. He walked away with 2 Harts, 3 Lindsays, a scoring title, and 2 Rockets within that time. That’s a peak that puts him up there with the all time greats, something Crosby doesn’t have. I think Crosby and Ovechkin are better and more accomplished than most of those players. There is just a very big bias for players of that era.

And that again is all with Context. Believeau and Richards played on dynasties in the O6 era. Why can’t Ovechkin have more credit for his playoff success?

It’s also the Irony that Crosby is by far the weakest playoff performer between Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, and Roy. With having the weakest smythes of them, why isn’t that being brought up?

Yes you did, you said Backstroms impact On the Caps is similar to Trottier and the Islanders...

Regardless, still not the same talent. You really are fighting hard for that right aren’t you? Your wrong, get over it. No hockey fan would agree with you.

But Howe played in the O6 era and Gretzky played on a dynasty while Crosby played in a lower scoring era. See how your logic is full of flaws? Beliveau and Richard has to play with wooden sticks with a straight curve. Would Ovechkin be able to score as many goals with a wooden straight curved stick? You’re not providing context, you’re providing excuses and what ifs.

Ovechkin got past the 2nd round once. Ovechkin isn’t even a ppg player in the first round of the playoffs. Yes, it’s a team game, but it is how it is, life is unfair. Just like Crosby missed out on many individual awards due to misdiagnosed and freak injuries. If you can’t see that Ovechkin has a weaker playoff resume than the greatest players of all time (say top 20), then you’re either biased or don’t understand how the game works

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
But Howe played in the O6 era and Gretzky played on a dynasty while Crosby played in a lower scoring era. See how your logic is full of flaws? Beliveau and Richard has to play with wooden sticks with a straight curve. Would Ovechkin be able to score as many goals with a wooden straight curved stick? You’re not providing context, you’re providing excuses and what ifs.

Ovechkin got past the 2nd round once. Ovechkin isn’t even a ppg player in the first round of the playoffs. Yes, it’s a team game, but it is how it is, life is unfair. Just like Crosby missed out on many individual awards due to misdiagnosed and freak injuries. If you can’t see that Ovechkin has a weaker playoff resume than the greatest players of all time (say top 20), then you’re either biased or don’t understand how the game works

There should be no problem in rating OV above players who have clearly inferior regular season resumes. His playoff legacy is something that doesn't take away from that, it just doesn't add very much.

That list is getting very short. I think he gets placed close to Jagr, who has a similar playoff legacy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Here are the facts and 10 years worth of data which clearly show that Sidney Crosby isn't just bad at defense, he utterly SUCKS at defense:

09/10 through 18/19 Regular Season
CrosbyBergeronOvechkinToewsKopitarDatsyuk
EV GA481379548470493240
EV TOI10717102511221811276123508438
Total EV GA/602.6932.2182.6912.5012.3951.707
PPSHGA532451313116
PP TOI261019333271219824051343
Total1.2180.7450.9350.8460.7730.715
EV+PP GA534403599501524256
EV+PP TOI13327121841548913474147559781
EV+PPGA/602.4041.9852.3202.2312.1311.570
PK TOI29514172111561493295
PK TOI/GP27 seconds1:572 seconds1:351:5741 seconds
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"PPSHGA" = power play short handed goals against.

And playoffs:

09/10 through 18/19 Playoffs
PlayerCrosbyBergeronOvechkinToewsKopitarDatsyuk
EV GA985876703627
EV TOI19121789176819001293931
Total EV GA/603.0751.9452.5792.2111.6711.740
PPSHGA843213
PP TOI483320463326268203
Total0.9940.7500.3890.3680.2240.887
EV+PP GA1066279723730
EV+PP TOI239521092231222615611134
EV+PPGA/602.6561.7642.1251.9411.4221.587
PK TOI24.5 Minutes2254:2419716256
PK TOI/GP13 Seconds1:542 seconds1:472:030:57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I encourage people to read this thoroughly debunked thread in its entirety.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com

Why are you so mad?

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Your logic continues to fail.

What does Ovechkin being "one of the best playoff performer of his era" matter in an all time sense? You realize hockey spans 100+ years. Is this thread about Ovi being top 10 all time or simply top 10 in past 20 years?

Ovechkin is definitely behind both Crosby and Malkin for playoffs. Probably some Chicago player(s) too. He's good at playoffs - great even - but compared to other usual top 10-20 all time players - it's a weakness. Why are you dancing around this point so much? Just acknowledge it and move on - its common sense.

Coming back to Crosby - much better playoff resume than Ovi. 4 "smythe-worthy cup runs". Yes even if you subjectively feel some of those 4 are better or worst than others - 4 is amazing, especially in this era of cap/parity. His overall production outside of those 4 runs is also good. So no Crosby wouldn't compare to Gretzky or Roy for playoffs - but among top 20 players all time his playoffs fair much better than Ovi - without looking at list id guess he's around middle

Also - you keep obsessing over comparing Ovechkin to Crosby only. This thread isnt about "whose better Ovi or Crosby" - its asking about Ovechkin all time. To rank Ovechkin (or Crosby) all time you need to compare them to all other usual suspects up for top 10-20 placement.

Ovis best full season is better than Crosby's. Even Malkins is. Sure. So what? My point was compared to any of the other top 10-20, Crosby isnt weak for peak. He's not #1 - but certainly not near the very bottom (as Ovi is for playoffs).

If Crosby was on the verge of beating the all time assist record he'd be a guaranteed top 5 player all time and likely quite a bit higher. The assist record is MUCH more impressive than the goal record due to the sheer volume of it.

But again - logic seems to fail you. Its not about whether the record is important or not. Its just about realizing that a few goals more or less makes zero difference. When Ovechkin is 40 and about to retire - we'll have the full scope of his career. His remaining 5-7 seasons and playoffs. At that point well be able to decide if his overall resume is worthy of top 20, top 10, top 5 or whatever. Whatever our decision on the matter is - for me whether he finishes with 897 career goals vs 887 will have 0 effect. How can 10 careers goals be significant in career assessment? It would be a stupendous feat to own the record, worthy of honor and bragging rights - but thats it. Ovechkin retiring at 40 with 887 goals or 897 goals ranks in the EXACT same position all time.
Because your using past players to measure his playoff success to. Which of course, given the context, doesn’t exactly give Ovechkin a fighting chance. You say he needs more playoff success given how many of the top 10 have that, but yet some in the 10 top(HF) played before 1960, played in Dynasty’s, and even Bobby Hull only has one cup.

But production wise he’s right behind those two, and those two played on the same damn team. Justin Williams is arguably a better playoff performer as well, some players just have that level of play....and Ovechkin does, along with having regular season play. It’s the bar that your setting that puzzles me.

I agree, all I was pointing out was that if Ovechkin is below Crosby because of his lack of playoff success, then how far back is Crosby compared to the big 4? He certainly shouldn’t be 5th based on the same standards. Is he behind Roy as well? What about guys like Hasek and Bourque who weren’t so fortunate in terms of playoff success? These are questions that need to be asked.

But Crosby’s peak is rather weak considering he didn’t really have one. Doesn’t mean his bigger seasons take a back seat, but Ovechkins peak was special and something that shouldn’t be ignored because his playoffs aren’t on the same level, that’s the problem. Again, compared to the big 4, Crosby’s peak is weak....even compared to guys like Hasek, Jagr, and Bourque, his peak is weak....but his playoffs push him over those guys, Right?

how is the assist record more valuable than the goal record? That’s my point, Crosby would be top 5, yet Ovechkin wouldn’t? That’s none sense. I just think it’s bias as hell to suggest that.

His overall resume right now is definitely top 10 worthy, just because it’s not a slam dunk in your mind doesn’t mean it isn’t on that level. That’s why so many have been talking about it. You say MY logic fails you, yet your logic is playoffs, playoffs, and playoffs...everything else isn’t valuable enough for your liking. That’s flawed. You then suggest that Crosby would be easily top 5 if he beat the assists record, citing it as “more difficult.” Yet you don’t see the flaw in that idea.

let’s put it this way, Ovechkin already has a better resume than most of the top 20. Add his goal scoring dominance to the mix. Add his playoff success, add the fact that he isn’t finished. Either way, it’s hard to ignore that his career as a whole isn’t In the running.
Meh in a 4 year span Crosby walked off with a hart Lindsay rocket 2 smythes so yeah
I guess that 4 year span is the greatest 4 year span of all time? Crosby is clearly the GOAT....
why do you continuously go down the “Crosby never plays on the PK” and “Crosby isn’t good at defense” road when Ovechkin is literally awful at defense?

It doesn’t make sense in the context of propping Ovechkin up over Crosby.
because Crosby doesn’t play the PK and isn’t that good defensively. Ovechkin isn’t either, and being better than Ovechkin defensively doesn’t exactly make Crosby appear better.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

Howe and Gretzky’s individual dominance is what sets them apart from Sid aside from their playoff resume. It’s not flawed, there is a reason they are part of the big 4 and the reason those 2 are seen as the best players of all time. Cups are team awards, there is a reason why Gretzky never won a cup after Edmonton, but the difference was their dominance among their peers, a dominance than Crosby never reached.

It’s all about context. Should it be held against Crosby that he was injured and didn’t really have a peak? You tell me, because apparently his lack of isn’t enough to not have him be a top 10 player. It’s the same with Ovechkin, you say “he isn’t even a PPG player in the first round.” Ok? Crosby isn’t a PPG player in the 3rd or final round.....there is no need to dissect Ovechkins playoff resume and match it up with other all time greats that had obvious upsides.

Crosby also never lead any of his championship teams in points. He also has had a team more than able to win without him in the lineup. He also has had another proven playoff winner in Malkin, who carried Crosby in his first cup win in the finals. Why aren’t these details being brought up? Instead it’s.....”Ovechkin doesn’t have enough playoff success.” “He’s only made it past the second round once.” “He needs more cups and better numbers.” Why?

guys like Bourque, Hull, and Hasek get a pass in terms of playoff success and have their regular season resumes carry over into their all time ranking. The thing Ovechkin has over them is he has a Smythe.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Howe and Gretzky’s individual dominance is what sets them apart from Sid aside from their playoff resume. It’s not flawed, there is a reason they are part of the big 4 and the reason those 2 are seen as the best players of all time. Cups are team awards, there is a reason why Gretzky never won a cup after Edmonton, but the difference was their dominance among their peers, a dominance than Crosby never reached.

It’s all about context. Should it be held against Crosby that he was injured and didn’t really have a peak? You tell me, because apparently his lack of isn’t enough to not have him be a top 10 player. It’s the same with Ovechkin, you say “he isn’t even a PPG player in the first round.” Ok? Crosby isn’t a PPG player in the 3rd or final round.....there is no need to dissect Ovechkins playoff resume and match it up with other all time greats that had obvious upsides.

Crosby also never lead any of his championship teams in points. He also has had a team more than able to win without him in the lineup. He also has had another proven playoff winner in Malkin, who carried Crosby in his first cup win in the finals. Why aren’t these details being brought up? Instead it’s.....”Ovechkin doesn’t have enough playoff success.” “He’s only made it past the second round once.” “He needs more cups and better numbers.” Why?

guys like Bourque, Hull, and Hasek get a pass in terms of playoff success and have their regular season resumes carry over into their all time ranking. The thing Ovechkin has over them is he has a Smythe.

I posted the advance stats on the page earlier. Ovechkin was playing at a replacement level player a month ago. Even with all of his goals, that’s how bad his defense was.

There is no one saying that Sidney Crosby is a replacement level player. And I will guarantee no one in his career said that or had any stats/advanced stats to back up the claim.

Reactions: wetcoast

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I posted the advance stats on the page earlier. Ovechkin was playing at a replacement level player a month ago. Even with all of his goals, that’s how bad his defense was.

There is no one saying that Sidney Crosby is a replacement level player. And I will guarantee no one in his career said that or had any stats/advanced stats to back up the claim.
Did I say he was a replacement player? No. I simply said he isn’t that great defensively. It’s a narrative that spawned due to his lower point totals over the years, only to be reinforced last year with his 4th place selke win. Crosby doesn’t need to be this defensive stud that many like to make him out to be.

I never said Ovechkin was good defensively either. Regardless, he hasn’t been scoring and the Caps have won 1 game is their last 5. Before that, Ovechkin had 14 goals and 1 assists and the caps were 5-2.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I encourage people to read this thoroughly debunked thread in its entirety.

Nothing was debunked at all. The numbers were validated. The numbers are accurate.

You desire to pretend Crosby is good or even great at defense. The data proves beyond a shred of a doubt that your beliefs are Canadian media hype machine myths, and my beliefs are validated.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

Look, I have no idea what you are trying to prove, but Crosby > Ovechkin in the playoffs and it’s not really close. Obviously Crosby’s PPG will diminish in the later rounds because he played vs better competition. The same thing would probably happen with Ovechkin if the sample size of games played in the later rounds would be higher. For the 1000th time, OVs playoff resume is weaker compared to the other all time greats and it might be the reason why some people aren’t ready to put him in the top 10 yet.

Also, playoff performances > Peak play comparison.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nothing was debunked at all. The numbers were validated. The numbers are accurate.

You desire to pretend Crosby is good or even great at defense. The data proves beyond a shred of a doubt that your beliefs are Canadian media hype machine myths, and my beliefs are validated.

Nothing is wrong with the numbers just the conclusions and context.

I could waste my time and put Ovechkins PPP in the context of per 60 minutes to show that he is a lousy PP guy if you want to continue on this faulty opinion.

Crosby might not be a Selke candidate but his 200 foot game is elite among too point producers plain and simple.

Your chart is literally grasping at straws and extremely dubious in terms of individual responsibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad