Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yes and no

Ovie and his caps have a history of early exits other than his only cup win

can you say the same for Crosby (who I place higher than Ovie also btw)?

He has been through several roster changes but still on average managed to have a healthy playoff career/rings

You can't also say players like Recchi, Justin Williams are just lucky dudes that were able to win multiple cups with different teams
So is there are standard to how many cups you have to win or is one just not good enough for you because Crosby has 3. Because your statement smells of bias.

Crosby had Malkin on his team. Two of the best playoff performers and 2 of the best players of their generation on the same team. Malkin lead 2/3 of those cup runs in points and once in goals with a smythe, Kessel lead the other along with goals and narrowly lost the smythe to Crosby. Maybe it’s more of a team trophy than you would like to admit.

YES, cups are team awards. Notice how guys like Lemieux and Orr only have 2? These guys are among the top 4 EVER. Notice how Gretzky didn’t win a single cup after Edmonton? I wonder.....notice how guys like Hull, Bourque, and Hasek only have one? Maybe it’s your whole argument that needs re-adjusting.

Oh so now there is context :laugh: Your entire point is more pucks=better player. That’s been your stance, but now that that line of thinking has been exposed, THEN it’s....”well anyone can get lucky playing on good teams!”

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So is there are standard to how many cups you have to win or is one just not good enough for you because Crosby has 3. Because your statement smells of bias.

Crosby had Malkin on his team. Two of the best playoff performers and 2 of the best players of their generation on the same team. Malkin lead 2/3 of those cup runs in points and once in goals with a smythe, Kessel lead the other along with goals and narrowly lost the smythe to Crosby. Maybe it’s more of a team trophy than you would like to admit.

YES, cups are team awards. Notice how guys like Lemieux and Orr only have 2? These guys are among the top 4 EVER. Notice how Gretzky didn’t win a single cup after Edmonton? I wonder.....notice how guys like Hull, Bourque, and Hasek only have one? Maybe it’s your whole argument that needs re-adjusting.

Oh so now there is context :laugh: Your entire point is more pucks=better player. That’s been your stance, but now that that line of thinking has been exposed, THEN it’s....”well anyone can get lucky playing on good teams!”
except for the Caps

who never won anything till they got Lars Eller. :laugh:

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Over Messier?? over Jagr?

come on now. Messier is a multi cup winner.

btw you are missing Lidstrom, Bourque on your list. Two of the greatest Ds to play the game

Also Bossy

According to NHL.com 508 players throughout history have won multiple Cups

Cups are completely irrelevant in a discussion comparing individual players though

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You must be a Mike Gartner super fan. How can your opinion be taken seriously on this issue when you suggest Gartner is just on the outside of the top 10.

Mike Gartner had one lone season of over 100 points while playing during his prime during the 80s. He was never once top 3 in All Star voting, one season in the top 10 in points where he was 10th, one season where he was top 5 in goals. His 93 playoff points looks ok except for the fact that it game in 122 playoff games.
I like his lists

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
lol no. Guy scored 65 points in 78 games as a 26 year old. And has multiple other seasons well below a ppg in his prime.
McDavid is already erasing the memory of Crosby. No one can do that to Ovi because there is no one that talented AND consistent.

Big 5, no more big 4 if Ovi breaks record.
Crosby leads the league in points since coming back from abdominal surgery. Rust and all.

MacDavid is erasing absolutely nothing about Sid Crosby.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
OV has had plenty of chances to feast on "easier" 1st round opponents. Maybe if he did, his team could have gotten past the 2nd round more times.

The gap in their playoff PPGs matches the gap in their regular season PPGs. There is no reason to think there is some statistical anomaly that needs a questionable explanation.

MalkinCrosbyOvechkin
5 Gm 0+4=4, -1Emery .9095 Gm 3+2=5, 006-07 L Ott
4 Gm 2+5=7, +3Gerber .9124 Gm 2+6=8, +207-08 W Ott07-08 L vs Phl7 Gm 4+5=9, -1Biron .908
6 Gm 4+5=9, 0Biron .9196 Gm 4+4=8, +208-09 W Phl08-09 W vs NYR7 Gm 3+4=7, +5Lundqvist .908
6 Gm 4+4=8 +2Elliott .8536 Gm 5+9=14 +709-10 W Ott09-10 L vs MTL7 Gm 5+5=10, +5Halak .939 Price .898
DNPRoloson .949DNP10-11 L TB10-11 W vs NYR5 Gm 3+3=6, -1Lundqvist .917
6 Gm 3+5=8 -1Bryzgalov .8716 Gm 3+5=8 -311-12 L Phl11-12 W vs Bos7 Gm 2+3=5, 0Thomas .923
6 Gm 2+9=11, 0Nabokov .8425 Gm 3+6=9 -112-13 W NYI12-13 L vs NYR7 Gm 1+1=2 -2Lundqvist .947
6 Gm 3+4=7, +1Bobrovsky .9086 Gm 0+6=6, -213-14 W CBJ13-14 DNQ
5 Gm 0+0=0 -1Lundqvist .9395 Gm 2+2=4, +114-15 L NYR14-15 W vs NYI7 Gm 2+3=5, -3Halak .926
4 Gm 2+5=7, -1Lundqvist .8675 Gm 3+5=8, +215-16 W NYR15-16 W vs Phl6 Gm 3+2=5, +1Mason .852 Neuvirth .981
5 Gm 2+9=11, +7Bobrovsky .8825 Gm 2+5=7, -216-17 W CBJ16-17 W vs Tor6 Gm 3+0=3, +1Andersen .915
5 Gm 3+2=5, -1Elliott .856 6 Gm 6+7=13, +717-18 W Phl17-18 W vs CBJ6 Gm 5+3=8, -1Bob .900
4 Gm 1+2=3, -1Lehner .9564 Gm 0+1=1, -418-19 L NYI18-19 L vs CAR7 Gm 4+5=9, -2Mrazek .899
62 Gm 26+54=8063 Gm 33+58=91Pit 8-4 Wash 7-4 72 Gm 35+34=69
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Here's the raw data. I'm not saying Crosby or Malkin are worse than Ovechkin in the playoffs. I'm not disagreeing with you when you say Crosby or Malkin have been better in the playoffs. All I'm saying, again and again, is that there are reasons why the numbers for Crosby and Malkin are what they are.

The numbers under Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin should be self-explanatory, the number next to the goaltender is their save percentage for that particular series. To further draw my narrative, Ovechkin missing the playoffs in 13-14 neatly divides his playoff numbers into the 2 sections of his career - peak and post-peak. Look at who Ovechkin faced in goal during his peak years, compared to who Crosby and Malkin faced during those same years. There's a reason why Pittsburgh has scored 224 goals in the 64 1st round games they've played [not including the Tampa series]. Washington's only scored 193 goals in Ovechkin's 72 games. Despite that massive gap in goals scored, Pittsburgh is 8-4 in the 1st round, not including the Tampa series, and Washington is 7-4 in the 1st round. There's a gap in point totals, but not really in team performance.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
According to NHL.com 508 players throughout history have won multiple Cups

Cups are completely irrelevant in a discussion comparing individual players though

Then consider that his playoff stats are below avg for someone with 15 years of experience

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
or Mark Messier > Alex Ovechkin
Kris Draper>Mario Lemieux
except for the Caps

who never won anything till they got Lars Eller. :laugh:
Definitely the missing link to their success.
Crosby leads the league in points since coming back from abdominal surgery. Rust and all.

MacDavid is erasing absolutely nothing about Sid Crosby.
And yet sits comfortably at 95th overall in scoring. It’s almost like your nice little sample size means nothing.

who was leading the team in production as their first liner while Crosby was out? I can’t remember his name....seems like a lot of people seem to forget.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
No I realize that, a majority of Malkin and Crosby’s point totals have come out of the first two rounds. Which isn’t uncommon, especially Crosby, who has a crazy PPG from the first round alone.

I think that’s a reach, to suggest they could have scored but decided to be more “complete” players. I don’t know who you are referring to but it’s already been proven that many haven’t scored at the pace or at the level Ovechkin has, which is why he’s in the conversation as the goat. He does what he does best, and that’s score goals. Just because last greats were more offensively dynamic doesn’t mean they could have scored more goals and had been more dominant and “decided” not to.

Ovechkin does one thing arguably better than anyone else in the history of the game, and it happens to be scoring goals.....which is the key to the game itself, to score. That should get more praise than his “lack of” whatever it is that many try to suggest makes him less.

Only fix minded posters like yourself would say otherwise. You honestly think they are the same style? Same kind of player? One is a goal scorer, the other a playmaker. One is about speed and physicality, the other about Finesse and possession. One is a center, one is a winger....

how you can sit there and suggest otherwise is beyond me. They aren’t similar even in the slightest, and any intelligent hockey fan would agree with me....

And yet piling on more than half your points in the first round is? Again, your standards are all over the place and you use them at your convenience. If you actually knew anything, you would at least understand that it’s harder to score in the playoffs, and despite playing 30 more games than Ovechkin, Crosby only has one more goal.

His “under PPG” production is 126 points in 128 games, a .98 PPG. It still sits third since ‘06 only behind Crosby and Malkin. His 65 goals is only second to Crosby. He’s been a great playoff performer, respect his production for what it is rather than how it isn’t Crosby’s.

Jagr actually has great playoff production. I honestly have no clue what your talking about. He has 2 cups with 201 points in 208 games, which is 5th best ALL TIME. Sure he isn’t a PPG, but that’s what happens when you play more games for longer in your career. He had some deep playoff runs well into his 40s that weren’t the most productive, while his peak was without Lemieux a majority of the time on mediocre teams, yet his playoff production during those years was still great.
Isn’t it the same logic then to say that some of the top 10 are lacking in what Ovechkin is superior at? I mean this goes into really what you see or value more. Outside of the big 4, who arguably was a better goal scorer, had a better peak/prime, and was more consistent? I can only think of Hull, Bourque, and Roy at the moment. Of course Crosby is there too.
2 years ago he wouldn’t be considered an all time great at all without ANY playoff success. He needed a cup, and if lucky, a smythe to even be considered. His regular seasons resume alone is superior to a good chunk of the top 20....but he would never rank higher because of his playoff resume.

2 years later, he has a Stanley cup and smythe, but now he needs MORE playoff success. It’s the constant goal posts moving that I am referring to. This guy is arguably the best LW to ever play, or at least 2nd best at worst. He still has playoff success, but that doesn’t seem to have made a dent in certain posters way of thinking.

I mean, you ask, how many have better more well rounded resumes, careers....but how many outside of the top 4 have a peak like Ovechkin? How many dominated a certain part of the game like Ovechkin has goal scoring wise? The list seems to be heavily favored towards playoffs, especially O6 teams, which IMO is skewed but that’s just me.

If he ends up leading the entire NHL in goals overall, that’s a feature that many felt wouldn’t be broken, and would definitely round up his entire career. It would be hard to say he isn’t a top 10 player after that.

You should stop looking at stats without context. Ovechkin’s and Jagr’s playoff resume are “weak” compared to the other all time greats, just like Crosby’s best full peak season is weak compared to the top 10. You’re just spitting nonsense all over the place and using strawmans to defend your cause. If you’re not going to actually respond to my posts with intelligent and meaningful content, then just stop quoting me.

Reactions: edog37

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Gretzky
Mario
Orr
Jagr
Messier
Howe

OV might be a top ten or awful close to it.
Those are the six I always list right off the hop. Is OV better then:
Crosby
Yzerman
Bossy
Bourque
Coffey
Sakic
If he is he might very well be for sure.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Gretzky
Mario
Orr
Jagr
Messier
Howe

OV might be a top ten or awful close to it.
Those are the six I always list right off the hop. Is OV better then:
Crosby
Yzerman
Bossy
Bourque
Coffey
Sakic
If he is he might very well be for sure.

One could argue no

because Ovie specialty is goal scoring. PP

Players like Bourque, Crosby, Sakic literally had to do everything and log on a ton of mins. PK, PP, crunch time situations etc.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
One could argue no

because Ovie specialty is goal scoring. PP

Players like Bourque, Crosby, Sakic literally had to do everything and log on a ton of mins. PK, PP, crunch time situations etc.

You could argue either way on it. I like OV a lot but there are some really big shoes to fill above him that is for sure.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
-14 on a team that is +28 in goal differential. But I'm sure that 42 goal swing are just all empty net goals against.

Top 10 all time baby!

As for the playoffs? OV has solid numbers but they're largely empty stats. He's been past the 2nd round ONCE. ONE TIME IN A DECADE AND A HALF. Multiple Presidents winning teams ousted by inferior opponents. So many choke jobs in game 7's over the years, more than one against Pittsburgh btw. I'll never forget MAF of all goalies robbing him blind on a breakaway early in game 7 in 2009. That was peak OV and he did nothing in the biggest moment. Story for the overwhelming majority of his career.

You want to talk about a guy beating up on early round teams? OV is the epitome of that. Christ, even in their Cup winning year it was Kuz who dominated offensively in round 3 and 4. Outscored OV by a larger margin than Kessel outscored Sid and we're not supposed to question the validity of the Smythe for 8?

Consider combining rounds 3 and 4 the Caps point leaders were as follows:

Kuz - 18 points in 12 games

Oshie - 13 in 12

OV - 12 in 12

Not even top 2 on his own team.

Yawn.

Reactions: Sidmieux

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
-14 on a team that is +28 in goal differential. But I'm sure that 42 goal swing are just all empty net goals against.

Top 10 all time baby!

As for the playoffs? OV has solid numbers but they're largely empty stats. He's been past the 2nd round ONCE. ONE TIME IN A DECADE AND A HALF. Multiple Presidents winning teams ousted by inferior opponents. So many choke jobs in game 7's over the years, more than one against Pittsburgh btw. I'll never forget MAF of all goalies robbing him blind on a breakaway early in game 7 in 2009. That was peak OV and he did nothing in the biggest moment. Story for the overwhelming majority of his career.

You want to talk about a guy beating up on early round teams? OV is the epitome of that. Christ, even in their Cup winning year it was Kuz who dominated offensively in round 3 and 4. Outscored OV by a larger margin than Kessel outscored Sid and we're not supposed to question the validity of the Smythe for 8?

Oshie - 13 in 12

OV - 12 in 12

Yawn.
Yeah kuz was robbed blind

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You should stop looking at stats without context. Ovechkin’s and Jagr’s playoff resume are “weak” compared to the other all time greats, just like Crosby’s best full peak season is weak compared to the top 10. You’re just spitting nonsense all over the place and using strawmans to defend your cause. If you’re not going to actually respond to my posts with intelligent and meaningful content, then just stop quoting me.
It’s only weak given that they are all held by the same standards, which is nonsense. For example, you don’t hold the same standards when it comes to peak compared to the top 10 players, yet many have him cemented 5th despite it...so what’s the deal? You hold the same standards for Ovechkin but change them for Crosby?

That’s ironic coming from you. Jagr and Ovechkin have “weak” playoff resumes compared to who you would put in the top 10, yet that’s also subjective. For example, who is in your top 10? Are guys like Bobby Hull, Bourque, Hasek on it? What about the various players from the O6 who played in a 6 team league while surrounded with dynasty talent?

So again, are you comparing them to the big 4? Or other players that may make up the top 10 list?

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
You really must be trolling, since the whole post you just quoted provides A TON of context, while you really don't. Just keep comparing the raw numbers, baby!

By the age Crosby is right now, Jagr had 154 points in 146 playoff games, and he even upped his playoff ppg from that for a few years after. It's his last playoffs he played at the age of 40+ that really hurt his playoff ppg. Let us wait and see how Crosby (or anyone else, for that matter) fares in the postseason when he's 40+ years old.

-14 on a team that is +28 in goal differential.
Sidney Crosby is -1 on a team that's +42 in goal differential. Not even close to top 50 all time, for sure. See how this works?

Well, you probably won't see it anyway or even reply to this in any meaningful way.

Oshie - 13 in 12

OV - 12 in 12

Yawn.
Guess what? Ovi is 1.0 ppg in rounds 3 & 4, Crosby is 0.9375 ppg. How about last year when Crosby had a whopping 0+1 in four games when Islanders swept the Pens? And you talk about how he's such a great leader. It's almost like playoff success isn't about the team but just one player.

See? See how this works?

Don't get me wrong, Crosby absolutely is above Ovechkin in all-time ranking so far, but I would put both of them in top-10 all time pretty comfortably. Ovi might pass Crosby if he breaks the goal record though. That would be something really, really historic and just unbelievable.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You really must be trolling, since the whole post you just quoted provides A TON of context, while you really don't. Just keep comparing the raw numbers, baby!

By the age Crosby is right now, Jagr had 154 points in 146 playoff games, and he even upped his playoff ppg from that for a few years after. It's his last playoffs he played at the age of 40+ that really hurt his playoff ppg. Let us wait and see how Crosby (or anyone else, for that matter) fares in the postseason when he's 40+ years old.

Sidney Crosby is -1 on a team that's +42 in goal differential. Not even close to top 50 all time, for sure. See how this works?

Well, you probably won't see it anyway or even reply to this in any meaningful way.

Guess what? Ovi is 1.0 ppg in rounds 3 & 4, Crosby is 0.9375 ppg. How about last year when Crosby had a whopping 0+1 in four games when Islanders swept the Pens? And you talk about how he's such a great leader. It's almost like playoff success is about the team and not just one player.

See? See how this works?

Don't get me wrong, Crosby absolutely is above Ovechkin in all-time ranking so far, but I would put both of them in top-10 all time pretty comfortably. Ovi might pass Crosby if he breaks the goal record though. That would be something really, really historic and just unbelievable.

Crosby has played 30 games dude. So that -1 isn't relative to the goal differential over a full season. Not to mention Sid played the first month+ with a hernia, so yeah. No. Look at the number since he's come back at actual full health. He's on a 102 point pace, at 32 years of age.

The 2nd bolded is my favorite. OVI is 1 PPG in rounds 3 and 4. Oh yeah, the ONE time he played past the 2nd round. Real large sample size you got there. Sid's been to the 3rd round 5 times and 4 Cup finals. It's not even comparable. In fact Sid being a hair under a PPG given the disparity in games played is more impressive than OV having played 12 games of rounds 3 and 4 hockey.

Breaking a goal record in which it takes you THOUSANDS (because that's what it will take) of more shots than Wayne, is worth very little in my eyes. There are snipers and there are volume goal scorers. OV is in the latter group. Unlike most people, i actually care about efficiency and the fact that not all goals are created equal. Plenty of empty netters, tap ins one timers into wide open nets, etc, etc. OV isn't even top 5 all time in goals per game in NHL history.

It's been ages since OV was a 1 vs 1 dominating player. A guy that could create offense by himself. Doesn't happen much anymore. He's a trigger man who is mostly dependent on others to feed him rubber. Yeah, legendary shot, legendary goal scorer but hockey is much more to do than just scoring goals. His line bleeds goals left and right and he's routinely disappeared in the biggest spots of his career. None of that is conjecture. It's literal fact. Anyone can go back and watch the games. All those game 7's and first round exits. That is what separates the elite from the legends.

This is chess. Not checkers.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Anymore names you would like to drop in hopes that it makes your story look less fictional? Maybe throw in some more obscure names to make it seem legit.

nothing fictional about it. These were guys I grew up watching, along with Ron Stackhouse, Giles Meloche, & Mike Bullard. But you’ve confirmed for me you weren’t even alive at that point since you probably have no clue who those guys were, so thanks for proving my assertion

Steve Yzerman was probably the third best offensive player behind Gretzky and Lemieux for most of the 80s and early 90s. He carried some horrid Wings teams while winning a Pearson at the height of Gretzky/Lemieux. He also has the most points in a season not named Gretzky and Lemieux. He didn’t start winning cups until he was in his 30s and past his offensive prime, regardless he still finished 9th in points and 8th in assists among all Centers from ‘97-‘02, while finishing 5th in points, assists, and 6th in goals in the post season within that same time frame.

For a guy who claims to have been a fan since ‘79, I figured you would know these things and not ask ridiculous questions that hold obvious answers.

as usual, you missed the point. Not surprising either. Maybe you should check out some YouTube videos & get back to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

apparentlyclueless

Dec 29, 2019
Crosby has played 30 games dude. So that -1 isn't relative to the goal differential over a full season. Not to mention Sid played the first month+ with a hernia, so yeah. No. Look at the number since he's come back at actual full health. He's on a 102 point pace, at 32 years of age.

The 2nd bolded is my favorite. OVI is 1 PPG in rounds 3 and 4. Oh yeah, the ONE time he played past the 2nd round. Real large sample size you got there. Sid's been to the 3rd round 5 times and 4 Cup finals. It's not even comparable. In fact Sid being a hair under a PPG given the disparity in games played is more impressive than OV having played 12 games of rounds 3 and 4 hockey.
I guess you missed the whole See how this works?-part. The whole idea was to throw arguments that are easily proven wrong, kind of like a lot of people in this thread do to bring Ovechkin down, not to suggest that he's superior playoff preformer to Crosby. But he does perform in the playoffs, which has been proven here many times.

Breaking a goal record in which it takes you THOUSANDS (because that's what it will take) of more shots than Wayne, is worth very little in my eyes. There are snipers and there are volume goal scorers. OV is in the latter group. Unlike most people, i actually care about efficiency and the fact that not all goals are created equal. Plenty of empty netters, tap ins one timers into wide open nets, etc, etc. OV isn't even top 5 all time in goals per game in NHL history.
Here's the thing: even being able to take that many shots in NHL is a skill itself. And if you end up scoring more goals than anybody in the history of the game in a relatively low scoring era, I'd say it's also pretty efficient.

It's been ages since OV was a 1 vs 1 dominating player. A guy that could create offense by himself. Doesn't happen much anymore. He's a trigger man who is mostly dependent on others to feed him rubber. Yeah, legendary shot, legendary goal scorer but hockey is much more to do than just scoring goals. His line bleeds goals left and right and he's routinely disappeared in the biggest spots of his career. None of that is conjecture. It's literal fact. Anyone can go back and watch the games. All those game 7's and first round exits. That is what separates the elite from the legends.

This is chess. Not checkers.
The bolded is just not true. In 24 elimination games in his career Ovi has 22 points. Not ppg, yes, but Crosby for example has 17 points in 21 elimination games, so... Btw, this is not to diss Crosby or to suggest that he does not perform when the Pens need him to, it's just to provide some context to Ovechkins numbers.

And yes, I've watched the games. Ovi was far from being the Capitals' playoff problem or a liability. It was mostly the players around him that choked until everything finally came together in 2018.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
2 years ago he wouldn’t be considered an all time great at all without ANY playoff success. He needed a cup, and if lucky, a smythe to even be considered. His regular seasons resume alone is superior to a good chunk of the top 20....but he would never rank higher because of his playoff resume.

2 years later, he has a Stanley cup and smythe, but now he needs MORE playoff success. It’s the constant goal posts moving that I am referring to. This guy is arguably the best LW to ever play, or at least 2nd best at worst. He still has playoff success, but that doesn’t seem to have made a dent in certain posters way of thinking.

I mean, you ask, how many have better more well rounded resumes, careers....but how many outside of the top 4 have a peak like Ovechkin? How many dominated a certain part of the game like Ovechkin has goal scoring wise? The list seems to be heavily favored towards playoffs, especially O6 teams, which IMO is skewed but that’s just me.

If he ends up leading the entire NHL in goals overall, that’s a feature that many felt wouldn’t be broken, and would definitely round up his entire career. It would be hard to say he isn’t a top 10 player after that.

You asked "why does he need a couple more good post seasons". That's the post of yours I responded to.
The OP is about Ovechkin being a top 10 player all time.

1. You completely ignored my question. My question was - out of the top 20 players, can you honestly say there aren't at least 15 with better playoff resumes? He even might be closer to 20th, than 15th.

So why does he need "a couple more good post seasons". Well - to rank in an all-time list, the best thing he can likely do is add to his post season resume. Another smythe or cup would be outstanding - simply a round 3-4 performance with very good individual numbers would also be great. It would just add to his resume, and help him climb up the ranks.

The one thing Crosby has that Ovi doesn't (and that very few in the top 20 have) is no real weakness in his resume. He only has 2 ross/hart, which is probably a bit disappointing for Crosby - but compared to most other players in the top 20, it's actually not bad. Playoffs are pretty good. International resume is good. Even goal-scoring - although Ovechkin trumps Crosby - among the top 20 players, Crosby does quite well in goal-scoring. Even peak - his peak seasons could have been a lot better without injuries (2011-2013) - but despite that, when you compare his peak to the peak of other players in the top 20, he also does quite well.

So when you ask a bunch of people who they rank top 10 all time - regardless of if someone counts playoffs more, prime, consistency, international resume, etc - Crosby does well in most metrics. But to the people who value playoffs very highly (and considering how significant playoffs are - it's many people) - playoffs are a weakness for Ovi among the top 20. The best thing Ovechkin can do to raise his stock further is keep adding to his playoff resume.

I think if Ovi broke the goal record it would be awesome. But I disagree completely that breaking it or not qualifies for top 10 player. He either qualifies as a top 10 player based on the body of his career - or he doesn't. Breaking the record shouldn't count in that sense. Because - what if instead of 895 goals, he scores 870 goals. That means not top 10 - but 895 means top 10? No, that's dumb. He'll either be good enough for top 10 based on his whole body of work come retirement or not - the record would be amazing - but i don't think the record in itself should be the deciding factor.

Reactions: TychoFan

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
as usual, you missed the point. Not surprising either. Maybe you should check out some YouTube videos & get back to me.
No one who actually watched Trottier play would say that Backstrom is on the same level talent wise and impact. So again, tell all the stories you want, drop all the names you would like, even try to devalue what I say by citing your age superiority. We both know your full of it.

I mean you had no point, so there was nothing to miss :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad