Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
he already is. If he beats Gretzky's record, there won't be the "Big 4" anymore, there will be "Big 5"

Definitely not.

Greatest goal scorer, yes, but there definitely won't be any consensus on him being #5, nevermind in the same category as the other 4.

Personally, I don't see there being a strong argument for Ovechkin being remotely close to that grouping. We'll have to see what the rest of his career looks like to assess top 10.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Right now the only guys 100% ahead of him are Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux. I always put Hasek at 5. But after that there's a group of Bobby Hull, Beliveau, Crosby, Jagr, Bourque and Roy. OV is in that group, where he ranks is individual preference. Richard and Lafleur probably belong in that group too, but I put them at the bottom.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Definitely not.

Greatest goal scorer, yes, but there definitely won't be any consensus on him being #5, nevermind in the same category as the other 4.

Personally, I don't see there being a strong argument for Ovechkin being remotely close to that grouping. We'll have to see what the rest of his career looks like to assess top 10.

If he breaks the all time goals record he'll be at Howe's level if not above. Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr will still be ahead just because of how much they towered over the rest of the league their whole careers but his individual NHL career will be >= any other individual career in NHL history

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
he already is. If he beats Gretzky's record, there won't be the "Big 4" anymore, there will be "Big 5"

Would be weird for a guy to be a top 5 player ever while only being a top 3 player in his era before he turned 26.

Reactions: Sour Shoes

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
If he breaks the all time goals record he'll be at Howe's level if not above. Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr will still be ahead just because of how much they towered over the rest of the league their whole careers but his individual NHL career will be >= any other individual career in NHL history

I mean, I said that there's no way he would be. You quoted me and said he would be... without providing any compelling reason. I'm left pretty unconvinced.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Um...he is already top ten.

In no particular order:

Gretzky
Mario
Orr
Howe
Jagr
Richard
Harvey
Ovi
Bobby Hull
Hasek

Just on the outside looking in:

Gartner
Yzerman
Sakic
Jagr
Brett Hull
You must be a Mike Gartner super fan. How can your opinion be taken seriously on this issue when you suggest Gartner is just on the outside of the top 10.

Mike Gartner had one lone season of over 100 points while playing during his prime during the 80s. He was never once top 3 in All Star voting, one season in the top 10 in points where he was 10th, one season where he was top 5 in goals. His 93 playoff points looks ok except for the fact that it game in 122 playoff games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad