Ovechkin top 10 player of all time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
What about people who aren't buttblasted?

Do you agree or disagree with the actual point bearing in mind that the use of the number 12 was just an arbitrary # used to clarify the point.

Disagree

Ovechkin bulldozing the top 10 list and Battle of Alberta are the only 2 good things in hockey right now

Reactions: Beville

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I mean, I said that there's no way he would be. You quoted me and said he would be... without providing any compelling reason. I'm left pretty unconvinced.

His body of work will be more impressive than that of any compiler in the top 10 list (Howe, Messier, Jagr) and at his peak he was as dominant on the ice as any NHLer outside the big 3. Those 2 combined will be enough.

Again, if he breaks the goals record. People are just incapable of fathoming how f***ing insane surpassing Gretzky in hockey's primary offensive category would be

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
His body of work will be more impressive than that of any compiler in the top 10 list (Howe, Messier, Jagr) and at his peak he was as dominant on the ice as any NHLer outside the big 3. Those 2 combined will be enough.

Again, if he breaks the goals record

His record is no where near as impressive as Jagr. Jagr has almost 2000 points despite not playing in the 80’s and leaving for the KHL. Ovechkin is good, but Jagr is better.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Disagree

Ovechkin bulldozing the top 10 list and Battle of Alberta are the only 2 good things in hockey right now

I love hockey.

If Ovechkin can continue to exhibit his goal scoring skills he may end up convincing more people that his lack of a complete game can be overlooked enough to warrant a higher ranking.

Now please note that I am not making a declaration about what is right or wrong, just the way that it seems to me that players are graded in the big picture world of hockey. {btw... I do agree with it}

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site

Again, if he breaks the goals record. People are just incapable of fathoming how ****ing insane surpassing Gretzky in hockey's primary offensive category would be

You're pretty much just repeating the same thing, right? That you think Ovechkin is great and better than other players, without substantiating that at all. You do realize that, I hope.

Ovechkin definitely wasn't more impressive at his peak than either Howe or Jagr, and I don't know what top-10 list has Messier on it, but that's certainly not consensus. Ovechkin also wasn't close to Harvey, Beliveau, Hull. I think it's tough to take Ovechkin over Richard, Bourque, Lidstrom, Roy, Hasek, Morenz or Crosby, too.

I suspect we fundamentally disagree here though, which is totally fine. My original point was that there's no way Ovechkin is consensus top-10 right now, and definitely no way he's in any real talks for being top-5. If he continues scoring like this for another ~5 years and brings home a couple more Cups, that's roughly the bar I think he'd need to reach to catapult himself into top-5 talk.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
You're pretty much just repeating the same thing, right? That you think Ovechkin is great and better than other players, without substantiating that at all. You do realize that, I hope.

Ovechkin definitely wasn't more impressive at his peak than either Howe or Jagr, and I don't know what top-10 list has Messier on it, but that's certainly not consensus. Ovechkin also wasn't close to Harvey, Beliveau, Hull. I think it's tough to take Ovechkin over Richard, Bourque, Lidstrom, Roy, Hasek, Morenz or Crosby, too.

I suspect we fundamentally disagree here though, which is totally fine. My original point was that there's no way Ovechkin is consensus top-10 right now, and definitely no way he's in any real talks for being top-5. If he continues scoring like this for another ~5 years and brings home a couple more Cups, that's roughly the bar I think he'd need to reach to catapult himself into top-5 talk.

I did substantiate as much as it's possible to substantiate a relatively arbitrary ranking of the next guys after the big 4. You on the other hand threw out a bunch of names you like. You can also look at Ovechkins goal scoring relative to the rest of his peers which becomes especially apparent when you compare his rockets/50 goal seasons to the rest of the league in his NHL time combined

And once you have a cup the box is checked, more cups are nice but no one will argue that Lemieux with his 2 cups is inferior to any the greats aside from 99 that got 4 or 5

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

OV has been electrifying and dominating since he entered the league. His combination of Elite size, speed, drive, skill, and shot is incredible. To score 700+ Goals in the modern era is crazy! To be so consistent (5th player in NHL history to score 30 goals in 10 straight seasons), his 65 goal season era adjusted is better than Gretzky’s 92. Countless Richard trophies & hardware, many 50+ goal seasons. Considered by most as the greatest goal scorer of all time and adding a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe trophy to his resume the Great 8 is definitely top 10 all time.

Last edited:

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Again, we all know his accomplishments--we're aware that he's a top goal scorer. What's your argument for ranking him above, say, Beliveau or Hull?

The guy that played the majority of his career when the league had 6 teams or the guy that was scoring 70+ goals when the rest of the league was scoring 50+?

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Top 10 now, 100% and as long as he keeps it up he could easily be top 5 of all time...

People just don’t appreciate the goal scoring talent; that is ultimately what will won you games.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Personal opinion is I'd prefer to wait until his career is over to make this determination.

From purely a goal scoring perspective, top 5 easily.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
The crosby ovi debate is so tiring because they are both amazing. If ovi passes Wayne that's a pretty big thing. On the other side, crosby wont be number 1 at anything. Still absolutely amazing all around player. Cue the people who just a few years ago said ovi would never pass Wayne, now saying breaking the goal record wont mean anything. He still might not do it but its definitely a possibility now

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
If/when he hits 895 he will have a strong argument to be put into a Big 5. Popular belief is he’d sign on to finish with Basckstrom which is 5.5 seasons. He’s at 1265 points right now and if he’s still putting up that many goals you’d think 1600 is within reach.

So that would probably put him #1 all time goals, #1 adjusted goals, Top 10 points, Top 5 adjusted points, #1 PP goals, #1 shots, (likely) Top 10 playoff goals (maybe Top 5 depending on Caps making another run or two). Add that to 8-10 Rockets (best all time), 3 Harts (T-4th all time), 3 Pearsons, a Smythe, an Art Ross, and a Calder.

That would be a career that stacks up with the all-time greats. Pens fans will never allow it to be consensus though no matter how much his career continues to eclipse this era. Their rivalry blinders went full blackout around May 2018.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Again, if he breaks the goals record. People are just incapable of fathoming how ****ing insane surpassing Gretzky in hockey's primary offensive category would be
Howe had a higher scoring peak than Lemieux. He was an all star 20 times. He certainly is not a compiler.

Ementy

May 11, 2010
I like Ovi he is a goal scoring machine. but going back over a decade and IMO he has been a very selfish player. that is no secret. so anyone acting like that is shocking news is just fronting. It is why he only has 1 cup. even
when a lot of the years he has played was on a stacked Capitals. His team play or lack of will keep him out of the greats top 5 list. as what the top guys did for their team as well as score is undoubtedly way beyond what OVI has put up and presented himself as. With that said, one of the best snipers to play the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad