HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Leo Carlsson hat trick tonight
Connor Bedard 4 pts night yesterday
Adam Fantilli not doing too bad either.

Hope you all enjoyed those extra 3-4 wins stolen by the goaltender or won by useless bottom line players.
The stolen games were annoying to watch — I have nothing but frustration at Jake Allen and the dumb contract Hughes gave him — but I don’t think you can criticize the fans or the team for us drafting fifth. We couldn’t have been worse and those AHLers played better than expected — what can you do?

Leo Carlsson scoring a hat trick. Man, that smarts.

Imagine having Carlsson and celebrating his hat tricks instead of Slafkovsky and celebrating his nice pass that one time and the takeaway from five games ago.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That's funny... Before the season started everyone was saying how much stronger the east got and bla bla bla. Games aren't played on paper and we're clearly seeing it.

There's a few things I noticed about this season:

- teams are much weaker than everyone thought they'd be
- there seems to be a LOT more shorties getting scored
- Goalies have gotten a lot worse across the board. It's almost as if there are far fewer teams putting emphasis on goalie development. And it's been a trend for the last while but we're seeing the results of this now. Goalies are bad man.

Goalies aren't bad and they haven't stopped training them. They just have smaller equipment since 2019 and the training techniques haven't caught-up with the holes that the rule change has left. Couple this with 2 expansions which has a bit thinned out the talent on teams, leaving a bit more space on the ice.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Nylander is a gamer , I'd take him over no show nostrils and 2 minutes delay of game scared of being hit Marner personally , its funny because both Marner and Am34 play more physically than Nylander who never engages in contact but at least Wild Bill gets to the slot and elevates in the post season. Im talking Nylander at 7 mill though.

The 10+ he's gonna get this offseason is another story

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Nylander is a gamer , I'd take him over no show nostrils and 2 minutes delay of game scared of being hit Marner personally , its funny because both Marner and Am34 play more physically than Nylander who never engages in contact but at least Wild Bill gets to the slot and elevates in the post season. Im talking Nylander at 7 mill though.

The 10+ he's gonna get this offseason is another story

Nylander is on track for his third consecutive PPG season, and you wouldn't pay him 10+?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Nylander is a fine player, but i'd rather keep that cash for Hughes to snake charm Drai or McD or another top center, like he did Chia pet to get Nurse that big pay day.

Obviously, McDavid would be best, but if you can get a star, you take a star. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Nylander is on track for his third consecutive PPG season, and you wouldn't pay him 10+?
Nylander wants a long term over 30 retirement contract. Those never end well. Skilled forwards age like milk. You have to win in big ways during the first couple of years of the contract to make it worth the risk and we’re in no position to do that.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Oh I would just not this offseason because I don't want to accelerate the rebuild. In other circumstances absolutely

Really, you'd rather get another 6th overall or whatever in 2025?

I think that 2024 should end the rebuild. That's three years in a row. Plus Dach is coming back next year, plus Calgary's pick might be amazing.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I keep waiting/hoping for Michkov to fall apart and reveal why a few teams passed on him. But he still looks dominant, and I'm still shaking my head at how our scouts talked themselves out of drafting him.

Pretty sure the nix comes from Molson. The fact it leaked so early lends a lot of weight to that theory.

Alternatively, maybe Michkov pulled a Lindros, had a limited list which all teams were aware of and we just weren't on it.

Maybe a bit of both.

We'll learn the truth someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Pretty sure the nix comes from Molson. The fact it leaked so early lends a lot of wait to that theory.

Alternatively, maybe Michkov pulled a Lindros, had a limited list which all teams were aware of and we just weren't on it.

Maybe a bit of both.

There was plenty of pundits info after the draft about it. Only Arizona really spoke of it, but apparently Michkov made it clear if he didn't want to play for you. He wanted to go to the Flyers for some reasons, even visited the installations before the draft.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Really, you'd rather get another 6th overall or whatever in 2025?

I think that 2024 should end the rebuild. That's three years in a row. Plus Dach is coming back next year, plus Calgary's pick might be amazing.

Yeah, I don't see us in the bottom 5 next year if we survive injuries. Talented youth should start to coalesce in the next two seasons, with all the incoming arrivals.

23-24, probable bottom 5, 24-26 surging somewhere between 8-15th last, then 26-28, when they should start to be really competitive if it was done well.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Pretty sure the nix comes from Molson. The fact it leaked so early lends a lot of wait to that theory.

Maybe a bit of both.

I'm doubtful Molson places his opinion over that of his head scouts, but who knows what happened. Yeah, I think we'll eventually get some details, but whether it's the actual truth or a slanted version of it... again, who knows. Like most things in history, the story will shift to favour the storyteller. If Michkov becomes a star, it'll be the other guys who nixed him; if Michkov busts or never comes over to the NHL, then we'll hear a few people claim, "I knew there was a problem".

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Nylander is a fine player, but i'd rather keep that cash for Hughes to snake charm Drai or McD or another top center, like he did Chia pet to get Nurse that big pay day.
You've been a Habs fan your whole life I'll presume.

In your lifetime, have the Habs been able to draw in a UFA of that type (McDrai).

Don't do this to yourself :laugh:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Leo Carlsson hat trick tonight
Connor Bedard 4 pts night yesterday
Adam Fantilli not doing too bad either.

Hope you all enjoyed those extra 3-4 wins stolen by the goaltender or won by useless bottom line players.

The Habs still finish 28th with 4 less wins so even in your alternate reality the Habs draft 5th.

That being said I'd rather have Bedard. Hope yall enjoyed Alex Belzile :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad