HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If Kucherov falls down a cliff next season at 31 (it happens more often than people want to admit) i don't see any discussion where he'll be considered generational.
If Kucherov's production goes down by a whopping 25%... he will have 108 points next year.

I understand what 'generational' means I would agree he isn't a generational player but he's as close as I can imagine. He's in Malkin territory. (ftr Jagr is generational.)

Reactions: Andy

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I understand what 'generational' means I would agree he isn't a generational player but he's as close as I can imagine. He's in Malkin territory. (ftr Jagr is generational.)
Nobody question that, I mean he would be the best forward of the dead puck era hands down and it would probably not be close. And yeah Jagr is generational. My point is unless someone is McJesus it's hard to call a player generational before the generation and his career is almost over. It's just too soon in the case of Kucherov. If he piles 2-3 other 120-140 points season we'll talk for sure.

Reactions: ReHabs

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Wikipedia has it at 20-30 years , but not sure why there is the premise that there can only be one outstanding player per generation.

In the end everyone has it's own understanding what is elite generational or a superstar.

The premise was making sense, kinda, back when ±80% of the NHL players were Canadian and there was ~4 billion people on Earth.
Today, the NHL is "global" and the population doubled, so you should run in more and more instance of multiple outstanding player per generation.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
A generation is not 10 years though. A generation is usually considered as 15 years. In the last 15 years Kecherov is 3rd in ppg behind Crosby and McJesus. He's 11th in goals per game. He'll likely finish lower than 3rd since he's soon to be 31 and will regress in the next 4 years (he has been in the NHL for 11 years). If he doesn't regress into his mid 30ies and keep the pace then there could be a discussion about it but i highly doubt it will happen.
NVM misread.

I really don't think he will regress much, the great players with high IQ usually age well. I mean, look at Joe Pavelski, he had his career year at 35. Considering he just had his best year this year, I expect him to continue having 100 point seasons unless his team is gutted.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Kucherov's production goes down by a whopping 25%... he will have 108 points next year.
108 points now is completely different from say… 2014. Raw points is not the way to measure how dominant a player is.

How did he place over the course of his career? McDavid is clearly generational. Amazing right out of the gate. Kucherov too time to get going and doesn’t have close to his resume.
He’s really, really good. HOF resume at 30. Not many players can do that.

Guy Lafleur would be borderline generational. When he did six straight 50/100 seasons it was unprecedented. Nobody had seen anything like that before. And it was the 70s, players didn’t have the same durability of today. Six straight years of top three in goals and/or points. That’s insane. He didn’t have Mario Lemieux feeding him pucks and I’m not sure that people would’ve put him as generational either.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
As per definition, there should be one generational talent over 20-25 years or so. Is it even clear that Jagr, Crosby and Ovechkin are generational? I think MacDavid is at an other level, like Hasek, Lemieux and Gretzky.

For me, a generational player is one who is clearly the best player over a period of time. We can definitely weigh in scoring, awards and so on, but also couple in the impact to his team and the game.

Look at Ovi… all those years of scoring at a crazy pace… was he more valuable or better than Crosby? Then there’s the all mighty Matthews and his ability to score… is he better than McDavid?

McDavid for me is generational. He made an immediate impact in his shortened rookie year (would had been a slam dunk for the Calder), and has never looked back. He’s won all the key individual hardware, and even something as casual as “fastest skater” at an ASG just illustrated what most knew about one aspect of his skills. He’s a regular season and playoff beast, and a highlight reel machine. Yes, he doesn’t have a cup, but its a team game and I don’t have to point out every post where people complained about the poor roster construction of the Oilers.

Not taking anything away from Kuch, Big Mac, Matthew or even Draisaitl, but McDavid is on a different tier and he’s done this for years.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
For me, a generational player is one who is clearly the best player over a period of time. We can definitely weigh in scoring, awards and so on, but also couple in the impact to his team and the game.

Look at Ovi… all those years of scoring at a crazy pace… was he more valuable or better than Crosby? Then there’s the all mighty Matthews and his ability to score… is he better than McDavid?

McDavid for me is generational. He made an immediate impact in his shortened rookie year (would had been a slam dunk for the Calder), and has never looked back. He’s won all the key individual hardware, and even something as casual as “fastest skater” at an ASG just illustrated what most knew about one aspect of his skills. He’s a regular season and playoff beast, and a highlight reel machine. Yes, he doesn’t have a cup, but its a team game and I don’t have to point out every post where people complained about the poor roster construction of the Oilers.

Not taking anything away from Kuch, Big Mac, Matthew or even Draisaitl, but McDavid is on a different tier and he’s done this for years.
McDavid is the only player who seems on track to surpass Crosby... if he hasn't surpassed him already.

Now the question is: who was generational between Lemieux and Crosby? I would argue it was Dominic Hasek.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Nothing Habs-related from that clip. It’s mostly Leafs, Rangers and Bruins.

Champ X user comment:

« From the creators of “Drive to Survive,” we bring you “Intent to Injure” starring Jacob Trouba »
No Habs players were being followed, the players in the series are McDavid, Draisaitl, Swayman, Pastrnak, M. Tkachuk, Trouba, Q. Hughes, Eichel, Nylander, Forsberg and Landeskog.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's just amazon starting to lay the groundwork for when they make their big push for the exclusive rights in 26, with that and the monday games. It's actually quite smart on their part.

Reactions: ReHabs

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It will be interesting to see the backround of some of these European players.

For the NA ones , not so riveting when all their parents have rinks in their backyards , super relatable guys amirite :laugh:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

They’ve done a great job bringing players that have been key to their success into the organization.

They traded Huberdeau after he was tied for 2nd in scoring with a 115 point season (also 5th in Hart trophy voting that season), Weegar, and a 1st for Tkachuk.

Reinhart was traded to Florida for Levi and what turned out to be a late 1st.

Bennett was traded to Florida for Heineman and a 2nd.

Verhaeghe wasn’t qualified by Tampa Bay and Florida initially brought him into the organization by giving him a 2 year $1 million AAV contract. Tampa had also put him on waivers at one point.

Florida claimed Forsling from waivers in 2021.

Montour was traded to Florida for a 3rd round pick.

Tarasenko was traded to Florida for a 3rd and 4th round pick.

Also, apart from Bobrovsky, they haven’t really made a big UFA signing (from that list).

Reactions: Wats

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
CRAZY how it went up so much
Just for laughs I went on TicketMaster yesterday to see what tickets would be. There was a presale from 11am to noon where they issued people unique passwords that could not be copied or used by anyone else. By 11:30 there were over 5,000 people in the virtual waiting room ahead of me. Then at noon, I went back into the site for the general public sale. There were over 14,000 people in front of me this time. I left the window open and got to the front of the line by about 12:20 but by then there were no tickets left. An acquaintance of mine did get a pair of upper deck tickets for $600 each. So that was the face value price of a nosebleed.

At around 2pm I got a notification from TicketMaster that some resale tickets were now available. I took a look and the prices ranged from $2,000 to over $6,000 EACH.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Adam Oates was the 2nd highest point getter of the 90s. Is he generational?

Kucherov has two scoring titles and has been top ten five times. Great freaking player. HOFer.

If he's generational though, then the term loses all meaning. Yes 144 points is amazing but it's completely different than ten years ago when scoring titles were won with 89 points. The points themselves don't matter as much as the margin ahead of the next player and how he finishes relative to his peers.

Nobody would dispute the guy's a HOFer or that he's amazing. But he's not generational. He's among the best players of his generation. Not the same thing.
During the 80's, after Gretzky, of course, the highest scoring player of the decade was Peter Stastny (just ahead of Marcel Dionne) Generational?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad