HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm in Edmonton and things are off the hook. Tickets for the Game 1 watch party at Rogers Place went on sale today and sold out in about 15 minutes at $20 a pop. In previous rounds, tickets for the watch parties were only $5. I checked Ticketmaster on Saturday for last minute seats and a nosebleed was $470. Tickets for the final (Games 3,4,6) go on sale tomorrow and the cheapest tickets are rumored to be close to $800. Too rich for my blood.

I went to Game 3 of the 89 finals at the Forum. Paid a scalper $35 for a standing room ticket. Game 6 of the 94 finals in Vancouver I paid a scalper $250 for a PAIR of tickets. You can't park your car downtown for that little nowadays.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm in Edmonton and things are off the hook. Tickets for the Game 1 watch party at Rogers Place went on sale today and sold out in about 15 minutes at $20 a pop. In previous rounds, tickets for the watch parties were only $5. I checked Ticketmaster on Saturday for last minute seats and a nosebleed was $470. Tickets for the final (Games 3,4,6) go on sale tomorrow and the cheapest tickets are rumored to be close to $800. Too rich for my blood.

I went to Game 3 of the 89 finals at the Forum. Paid a scalper $35 for a standing room ticket. Game 6 of the 94 finals in Vancouver I paid a scalper $250 for a PAIR of tickets. You can't park your car downtown for that little nowadays.

Do you want wealth secrets that will CHANGE your life ?

The first one, which I saw on a tiktok, was to make more money.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

CRAZY how it went up so much

Reactions: Runner77

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I had no idea about that Oilers fan flashing until I heard Ward talking about it on Melnick's show a little earlier today.

Well I went and took a look at the video and goddammit man McDavid and Draisaitl are now the 2nd best pair over in Oiler land. :)

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I agree this is extremely annoying and something I have to unfortunately overlook if I'm going to enjoy the finals. Being rewarded with a generational talent for being an incompetent failure is a flaw in the system. The Oilers should be toiling away in the AHL trying to get promoted back into the NHL, not being given undeserved riches.

I guess I won't be unhappy if they lose. Would rather support a team that has tried to build a winning roster without corporate welfare. Just can't stand Dallas or Florida.
Would you prefer the inequality of European Football where all the richest clubs can hoard and poach talent from other teams? The New York Rangers and the Toronto Maple Leafs would have a lot more Stanley Cup if they could take the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl from Edmonton and other smaller clubs whenever they wanted.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
A Miami columnist with one of the all time dumbest takes

. Connor McDavid is overrated. Boom. He puts up big, impressive stats, yes. Fine. But should he really be called “generational,” called the best player in the sport, when in nine seasons he has yet to lead his team to a Stanley Cup? Edmonton truly had one of those players, once. His name was Wayne Gretzky. He’s why the Oilers bunched five Stanley Cup wins in 1984-90. McDavid? No Gretzky. He has the requisite nicknames -- McJesus, The Chosen One -- but he has not proved beyond-stats transcendant, able to lift a franchise to ultimate heights. McOverrated.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article288962840.html#storylink=cpy

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

. Connor McDavid is overrated. Boom. He puts up big, impressive stats, yes. Fine. But should he really be called “generational,” called the best player in the sport, when in nine seasons he has yet to lead his team to a Stanley Cup? Edmonton truly had one of those players, once. His name was Wayne Gretzky. He’s why the Oilers bunched five Stanley Cup wins in 1984-90. McDavid? No Gretzky. He has the requisite nicknames -- McJesus, The Chosen One -- but he has not proved beyond-stats transcendant, able to lift a franchise to ultimate heights. McOverrated.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article288962840.html#storylink=cpy
We all know that Gretzky did it all by himself with the Oilers. He did not have a supporting cast of future hall of famers.

How weird that Gretzky never managed to win the cup again after he left Edmonton while many of the Oilers core players won in 1990 and then again in 1994 with the Rangers.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

I love how his dates go until 1990 when Gretzky left to LA in 1988

Reactions: red devil

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
We all know that Gretzky did it all by himself with the Oilers. He did not have a supporting cast of future hall of famers.

How weird that Gretzky never managed to win the cup again after he left Edmonton while many of the Oilers core players won in 1990 and then again in 1994 with the Rangers.
Kevin Lowe > Gretzky

• Haha
Reactions: angusyoung

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Would you prefer the inequality of European Football where all the richest clubs can hoard and poach talent from other teams? The New York Rangers and the Toronto Maple Leafs would have a lot more Stanley Cup if they could take the likes of McDavid and Draisaitl from Edmonton and other smaller clubs whenever they wanted.
You failed to mention another team that would have more cups....

I'm not sure what the right model should be. I know the current one is wrong because it deincentivizes competition once you're out of reach of playoffs. The most dangerous teams in Europe are those fighting off relegation. One easy solution is to make the lottery an unweighted lottery. Every non playoff team has the same chance of winning lottery. Problem solved. Reverts to order of standings starting in second round, which is sufficient reward for being at the bottom of the league.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Had the Panthers at training camp and sticking with them. Had them going against Dallas, but too many Stars shone not. :facepalm: Old, slow and damaged is not a recipe for success. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds and if the Oilers can work more magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad