HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 60M/yr scam artist, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
f*** that. All teams in the playoffs this season have been trash. There wasn't one single exciting series. The fact that Edm with their pathetic defense and shit goalie are able to make it to the SCF only speak of lack of talent across the NHL. Not watching finals. NHL is garbage.
Watered down league that'll keep getting worse and worse, horrid show. Interest is at an all-time low, I guess the Habs (eventually) making the playoffs will help but right now you'd have to pay me to sit in front of the TV to watch that crap for 3+ hours straight.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watered down league that'll keep getting worse and worse, horrid show. Interest is at an all-time low, I guess the Habs (eventually) making the playoffs will help but right now you'd have to pay me to sit in front of the TV to watch that crap for 3+ hours straight.
I’ve tuned out for the most part. I have more fun reading reaction posts to games in here than the games themselves. I didn’t want to give up enjoying the amazing weather we’ve been having just to be cooped up inside watching so many boring playoff games. Kudos to those who managed it.

Maybe I’ll go back to watching the finals, in case that Edmonton fan who became a star on Twitter-X, decides to flash again.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Corey Perry back in the finals. Was there with 5 different teams:

2006-07 with Anaheim
2019-20 with Dallas
2020-21 with Montreal
2021-22 with Tampa
2023-24 with Edmonton

One hell of a run in the 2020's to close out his career

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Pffft.

You guys were telling me the exact same things about the Stars when Oilers eliminated Vancouver "Dallas can run 4 lines", "Dallas is stronger in nets", etc... see what happened next.

You guys are too quick to write off Edm. On a team where there is McD and Draisatl, plus Bouchard, plus others that get the job done, and that are not afraid of physical play like the Rangers, I don't see that "easy" finals in 5 for Florida at all.

Edmonton will win this.

I’m not as confident but I think Edmonton definitely can win this. People rag on Dallas not getting into the dirty areas, how they were cooked from the other series, a shit PP, how they are a perimeter team but credit has to go to Edmonton for forcing that; not just against Dallas, but they did exactly this against Vancouver and LA.

Cherry picking specific defenders *cough* Nurse *cough* and others as weak and of course what version of Skinner we will get night to night, Edmonton as a team has generally been great all playoffs with the team defense.

Florida has the edge in goal, by a W I D E margin, and I think they are deeper through the lineup in front and back.

Edmonton has the two best players in the world PLAYING like the two best players in the world. Unlike past seasons, they got some really good players supporting them when it counts.

I also don’t think the Panthers are going to ragdoll the Oilers physically. Oilers can play it tough and unlike NYR stars, McD and Drais aren’t soft.

I do still favour the Panthers but I’m hoping for an Oilers win. Again, don’t care at all about the Canada angle, or Edmonton fans… I just want to see the two best players currently win it all.

Not sure what some people are talking about, those 3rd round series were some great hockey.

Hoping McDavid gets his cup, the sport is always better when it's best players, its historically good players, win the ultimate prize.

100% behind this.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Good to have a Canadian based team in the Finals.

I guess Bettman would had prefered a New-York-Dallas Finals.
Or New-York-Edmonton. I'm pretty sure Gary is happy when there is a chance to increase visibility of the best player in the league.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not sure what some people are talking about, those 3rd round series were some great hockey.

Hoping McDavid gets his cup, the sport is always better when it's best players, its historically good players, win the ultimate prize.
Historically Best players in game win multiple cups. Gretzky, Crosby, Lafleur, Orr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll be rooting for the Oilers. I would have preferred a Rangers v Oilers final, but happy that the Oilers made it. Hopefully the Oilers surprise the hockey world and beat the Panthers.

Oilers handled the Stars who knocked out the physical Knights and the speed/talented Avs. I think the Oilers have a real shot at this. Panthers are a tough team with both grit and skill and their forecheck is deadly.

Should be a good match-up. Oilers winning 1 of the first 2 games in Florida will make me believer.

McDavid went crazy

He's hungry and he has the pieces around him to win. Only question mark is stable goaltending. Skinner can look like a star one game and a dud the next.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m not as confident but I think Edmonton definitely can win this. People rag on Dallas not getting into the dirty areas, how they were cooked from the other series, a shit PP, how they are a perimeter team but credit has to go to Edmonton for forcing that; not just against Dallas, but they did exactly this against Vancouver and LA.

Cherry picking specific defenders *cough* Nurse *cough* and others as weak and of course what version of Skinner we will get night to night, Edmonton as a team has generally been great all playoffs with the team defense.

Florida has the edge in goal, by a W I D E margin, and I think they are deeper through the lineup in front and back.

Edmonton has the two best players in the world PLAYING like the two best players in the world. Unlike past seasons, they got some really good players supporting them when it counts.

I also don’t think the Panthers are going to ragdoll the Oilers physically. Oilers can play it tough and unlike NYR stars, McD and Drais aren’t soft.

I do still favour the Panthers but I’m hoping for an Oilers win. Again, don’t care at all about the Canada angle, or Edmonton fans… I just want to see the two best players currently win it all.

100% behind this.

Stars beat the physical Knights and the speedy/skilled Avs. Oilers handled the Stars convincingly. Panthers are going to play them rough but yeah, I can see the Oilers giving them a test.

Oilers have better offense than the Rangers but the Rangers had better goaltending. I think the Oilers will need to score on the PP and I can see them having a lot of PP's they way the Panthers play a rough game.

Both teams have shown high level of resiliency. They respond after bad games.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Apart from Crosby, all these others are from an era with 24 teams or less. Multiple cups are much harder today, unless you are Pat Maroon ;p Ovechkin's legacy will not be lessened because he has only one.

Plus, Gretzky, Lafleur, Orr and Mario had GREAT teams, and in those eras with fewer teams. Not taking away from them, but yeah, different time.

The Crosby era Penguins are remarkable, but it’s not like he won with bad teams either.

In the end, cups are won with teams but you got to be just a hater if you don’t see what McDrai are doing in these playoffs. Will it be enough? We’ll know or at least have an idea by this time next week maybe.

Stars beat the physical Knights and the speedy/skilled Avs. Oilers handled the Stars convincingly. Panthers are going to play them rough but yeah, I can see the Oilers giving them a test.

Oilers have better offense than the Rangers but the Rangers had better goaltending. I think the Oilers will need to score on the PP and I can see them having a lot of PP's they way the Panthers play a rough game.

Both teams have shown high level of resiliency. They respond after bad games.

I think the main edge Oilers have over the Rangers is nobody on the Rags are obviously at McD and Drai’s level. Plus, those two can handle the physical play. Goaltending clearly aren’t at the same level so the Oilers are really going to have to do what they’ve been doing which is to minimize those close in, high danger chances. Given that, I don’t think Florida has to adjust much.

Florida is relentless though. They’ve not just dominated all three teams they faced, but they just broke them.

The other thing I’ll give Florida the edge on is it seemed to me that Edmonton doesn’t always play 60 minutes and when things break down, they really hit the shitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad