HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I think I read on the main boards that Eliotte Friedman in a 32 thoughts said the preds concern with Askarov is he doesn't have the mental ability to shake off bad goals or bad games, and when one of these things happen he's prone to just keep letting them happen.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think I read on the main boards that Eliotte Friedman in a 32 thoughts said the preds concern with Askarov is he doesn't have the mental ability to shake off bad goals or bad games, and when one of these things happen he's prone to just keep letting them happen.
This is one of the things Montembeault doesn't get enough credit for...he never seems to get rattled after allowing a bad goal.

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
This is one of the things Montembeault doesn't get enough credit for...he never seems to get rattled after allowing a bad goal.
That's his secret... he's always rattled!

3TY5QY.gif

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Berube coming in, Matthews taking the C. I think these are good moves.

No it doesn’t change the fundamentals of the roster but it’s a clean slate from a culture perspective on previous failures.

The Leafs are still an Uber talented team. They could still put it together. I hope they don’t but I’m also surprised at the lack of success they’ve had over the years. It’s incredible how brutal they’ve been in the playoffs.
The question is whether it's really bad luck or that they have a whole team of guys who can only play regular season hockey. You'd think they'd have to figure it out at some point, but maybe they just aren't willing to do what it takes as a group. Maybe the whole team placed massive bets against themselves.

Most of the failures were close, though, they lost series where they had big leads.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The question is whether it's really bad luck or that they have a whole team of guys who can only play regular season hockey. You'd think they'd have to figure it out at some point, but maybe they just aren't willing to do what it takes as a group. Maybe the whole team placed massive bets against themselves.

Most of the failures were close, though, they lost series where they had big leads.
There's no excuse for Matthews and Marner. Matthews has at least improved and it was bad luck that he got hurt this year but overall he's been underwhelming. Marner is just... such a disapointment.

As always the usual caveat: That can change at any time. And if it does and they win a cup, all the past failures will be forgotten. But that group has a LOT to prove in the playoffs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It makes sense Oilers didn't match and opted for the compensation. They get a 2025 2nd and 3rd as compensation. Oilers in 2025 only had a 6th round pick and a 7th round pick. They had no picks between the 1st and 5th rounds.

• Wow
Reactions: Habs10Habs and Seb

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Was not expecting them to match Holloway....but Broberg?

I was expecting them to match Holloway and let Broberg go. The fact Broberg had the higher AAV made me think Holloway was the distraction and Broberg was the real target. But alas, Oilers let them both go, which makes sense since they desperately need the draft picks (only had a 6th and a 7th round pick heading into the 2025 draft. They now add a 2nd and 3rd).

When Oilers traded for Podkolzin and then acquired Emberson for Ceci (saving $2.3M in cap space in the process), it pretty much confirmed that they got them to replace Broberg and Holloway.

The Oilers need cap space no matter what, even if they didn't match. So trading away Ceci helped create some room.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
blues send the Oilers a 3rd in 2028 and Paul Fischer (5th rounder 2023 draft) for future considerations to appease the pain....lol.

Fischer did have an interesting first year in the NCAA.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I was expecting them to match Holloway and let Broberg go. The fact Broberg had the higher AAV made me think Holloway was the distraction and Broberg was the real target. But alas, Oilers let them both go, which makes sense since they desperately need the draft picks (only had a 6th and a 7th round pick heading into the 2025 draft. They now add a 2nd and 3rd).

When Oilers traded for Podkolzin and then acquired Emberson for Ceci (saving $2.3M in cap space in the process), it pretty much confirmed that they got them to replace Broberg and Holloway.

The Oilers need cap space no matter what, even if they didn't match. So trading away Ceci helped create some room.
Kulak, Emberson and Stecher/Brown is a pretty dman weak bottom 3 though. Ceci is not very good but Emberson is not any more proven than Broberg. Brown is unproven as a regular too he's been a a 7th dman all his career (with no playoffs experience).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad