HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Wasn't this the guy Grant said was going to be a superstar? I remember it got pretty heated.

He's also got those legal issues coming up.
If anyone needed more proof that the guy has a hard time evaluating talent.

McLeod a superstar, I mean c'mon. Guy gave Jan Bulis vibes.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If anyone needed more proof that the guy has a hard time evaluating talent.

McLeod a superstar, I mean c'mon. Guy gave Jan Bulis vibes.

In McCagg's defence, I do not recall him ever claiming that McLeod was going to be a "superstar" despite him really liking McLeod and every person in the history of "scouting" has made very poor choices in hindsight. I have been guilty of defending an opinion that is being attacked from a position of ignorance and therefore doubling down unnecessarily on something from which I probably did not have a strong initial conviction. This is the nature of public message boards and I try and restrain myself to varying degrees of success but it is not difficult to get pushed into a corner where you are steel manning and argument that you don't actually feel strongly about when confronted with fallacy ridden attacks which do accidentally end up being correct from time to time despite the broken process that was used to get there.

I certainly am not a fan of Grant's work but berating someone for a missed pick is selective criticism when the real way that you determine whether a scout has talent is to judge their process and their opinions on aspects of a player's game. I find Grant to have little more than the average fan's understanding of skating, puck-handling, shooting mechanics as well as an obsolete/antiquated view of the way the the game is actually played. He doesn't see these player's live and for the few that he does see live he doesn't see enough of them. Grant is little more than a super fan trying to make some money doing something that he loves. His demeanour and overall disposition are gross at times and his interviews are nothing short of cringe inducing horror shows so I have very little use for anything that he says or does.

Oddly enough he might not actually be as terrible a scout as I have been repeating around here. This is not to say that my opinion on his talent has changed as it definitely has not. But.....if he was given a position I think he would be passionate and driven and he would stand up for what he believes in and challenge other scouts in the room and that is never a bad thing imo. He might be the worst talent in the room but he might inspire other scouts to go out on a limb a little more for their guy and the group as a whole might improve even if you are lowering the average IQ in the room lol.

If there is an award for the most back handed compliment of the year on this board, I may have just locked that one up with this post. :cool:

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just read about a rule change in the KHL for 2024-2025.
Goaltenders will be allowed to throw the puck forward out of their glove in the direction of the opposition's goal.
I was thinking how far could Hasek throw a puck using his blocker side which he quite often used to freeze pucks.
I'm assuming it will only be permitted out of the catching glove.
Somehow I don't see this lasting. The first thing we are going to see is equipment modifications to allow for distance.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I have to say that I am surprised that Jeremy Swayman still isn't signed....they have over 8 million in cap space so money shouldn't be a problem unless he wants Price type money.
Vasilevskiy : 9.5 M
Hellebuyck : 8.5 M
Sorokin : 8.2 M
Saros : 7.7 M

Is Swayman worth more than these four goalies?

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agreed, I know the Sens get made fun of a lot here on our board. I think adding Ullmark will be a difference maker for them this season.
It will be interesting to see how Ullmark handles the lack of structure in Ottawa.
Boston play a completely different style of game I expect he may struggle like the playoff Ullmark did.

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
South Shore
Agreed, I know the Sens get made fun of a lot here on our board. I think adding Ullmark will be a difference maker for them this season.

It's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when they are hyping themselves up during the summer (see Summer of Pierre 2022), only to end up being a dumpster fire by the end of October.​

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It will be interesting to see how Ullmark handles the lack of structure in Ottawa.
Boston play a completely different style of game I expect he may struggle like the playoff Ullmark did.
Agreed, I wouldn't expect him to put up numbers like he did with Boston. IMO he's probably the best goalie they've had since Andersson.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

It's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt when they are hyping themselves up during the summer (see Summer of Pierre 2022), only to end up being a dumpster fire by the end of October.​
True, but it's the offseason and I"m feeling extremely happy today. Once the season starts I'll go back to making fun of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad