HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'll always be thankful for that one cup run, if nothing else. Great career all around.
I won’t. He was easily one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for the Habs. It was embarrassing watching him play. Absolutely carried in the playoffs by Perry and Armia. But Staal was pathetic minus like two games. In the regular season it was worse.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Time to realize that there are more issues to pick from College hockey than Russia......

Reactions: ReHabs

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Would you be asking for criminal charges if the hit was against a hab ?

No, he'd get bail right away and be out doing it again the next day, silly.

A menace like Matheson needs to be caught out in pure daylight, otherwise you've not got much of a chance to stop him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Seems to be working well so far what's the issue
You can get players from Russia. College hockey, in the end, some choose their team. And if you want to be sure that you keep the player, you will have to sign him in 2 years...which in the end reduce the supposed advantage you have with College US players with their 4 years....The only thing that keepk being an advantage it's for relatively average players. You could keep them there for 4 years....and will be able to sign them as nobody else will be interested in them....

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Seems to be working well so far what's the issue
When even a pipsqueak like Sean Farrell can strongarm the organization into getting a shorter ELC it affects the overall picture. When Jordan Harris gets a shorter ELC...

Cutter Gauthier wanted an ELC when he wanted it, PHI refused, he demanded a trade, PHI had to acquiesce and took a loss on the trade. I took Gauthier's side in the conflict because 1) PHI's distasteful character assassination campaign is indefensible and 2) Gauthier is within his rights and did nothing wrong, but the fact is this is leverage that other prospects do not have.

McGroarty and WPG now, same thing.

Lane Hutson got a short ELC - you better bet Hughes preferred to have him on a proper three year contract and take advantage of that but it's simply not worth risking with high-value prospects from the NCAA because they call the shots.

And then on the other side of things... American players seem to prefer moving back to America (or they extort their franchise for overpayment a la Matthews). Drafting Americans out of the NCAA has two big marks against it and I hope Canadian teams remain wide-eyed and clear on the risks.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
When even a pipsqueak like Sean Farrell can strongarm the organization into getting a shorter ELC it affects the overall picture. When Jordan Harris gets a shorter ELC...

Cutter Gauthier wanted an ELC when he wanted it, PHI refused, he demanded a trade, PHI had to acquiesce and took a loss on the trade. I took Gauthier's side in the conflict because 1) PHI's distasteful character assassination campaign is indefensible and 2) Gauthier is within his rights and did nothing wrong, but the fact is this is leverage that other prospects do not have.

Lane Hutson got a short ELC - you better bet Hughes preferred to have him on a proper three year contract and take advantage of that but it's simply not worth risking with high-value prospects from the NCAA because they call the shots.

And then on the other side of things... American players seem to prefer moving back to America (or they extort their franchise for overpayment a la Matthews). Drafting Americans out of the NCAA has two big marks against it and I hope Canadian teams remain wide-eyed and clear on the risks.
I don't really disagree with you that much, but for players like Farrell and Harris it wasn't so much being strongarmed, so much as Montreal was mildly interested in seeing what they had in them and had the open slots. As in Montreal planned to have them in the AHL the next year anyways, but didn't consider them actually talented enough to have that burnt ELC year matter. That's proved to be true.

For players of higher talent like Gauthier, McGroarty, and Hutson though I agree. It certainly is a worse situation than drafting a Russian because despite the fake alarm, far more NCAA bound players have been turning their backs on the team that drafted them than Russians.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I don't really disagree with you that much, but for players like Farrell and Harris it wasn't so much being strongarmed, so much as Montreal was mildly interested in seeing what they had in them and had the open slots. As in Montreal planned to have them in the AHL the next year anyways, but didn't consider them actually talented enough to have that burnt ELC year matter. That's proved to be true.
I guess that's one way of looking at it but Harris got a two-year ELC and that's only after rejecting Bergevin’s contract offer earlier and causing some concern and worry among the fans and organization. Why just two? Because he had 10gp at the end of season and went into the next season and then got a new 1.4m contract. And no AHL time. That's a good deal for him that wouldn't be available to a non-NCAA player.

Similar situation applies to Sean Farrell who is on his last ELC year already because he burned the first one with just 6gp. They stand to gain a big contract very quickly with this "method".
For players of higher talent like Gauthier, McGroarty, and Hutson though I agree. It certainly is a worse situation than drafting a Russian because despite the fake alarm, far more NCAA bound players have been turning their backs on the team that drafted them than Russians.
The American-factor is undeniable at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heffyhoof

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

Add to that that it's easier for for a bottom team to give this free year compare to one competing for a playoff spot until the end.

Reactions: ReHabs

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
What happened to Bob McKenzie when he basically put all over twitter each pick of the top15/20 before they happened that one year?

The league makes money off insiders and acts like this lol.

Gambling has really taken over the league(s).

1722524310372.png

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
That is how I interpret "allegedly revealing to a friend which player teams were drafting moments before they were announced", from the tweet above.

It's not really the conclusion from the overpadded Athletic article.

"One source briefed on the draft night situation said that no gambling impropriety was discovered or any intent for Marek to gain financially from what happened.
However, because Marek was alleged to have shared proprietary information with someone outside the company, and given the company’s partnership with the NHL — Sportsnet has two years left on a 12-year deal as the league’s national rightsholder — the network was in a difficult position involving one of its most prominent broadcasters.
"

Reactions: Paddyjack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad