HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I thought the Pens hired Dubas to lead a rebuild. But it turns out they hired him to keep status quo which is even more perplexing. He was incapable of properly surrounding the Leafs core, why would they think he’d be able to surround an even worse and aging core?
He might have been hired to lead a rebuild, but the star player on the team don't want to rebuild so...

Reactions: dinodebino

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I thought the Pens hired Dubas to lead a rebuild. But it turns out they hired him to keep status quo which is even more perplexing. He was incapable of properly surrounding the Leafs core, why would they think he’d be able to surround an even worse and aging core?
John Henry made it clear when he bought the Pens, Crosby would never be traded and retire a Penguin. Dubas reiterated the same when he was named Prez.

Crosby, Ovy… same battle, both are seen as franchise saviours

Reactions: Habs10Habs

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
John Henry made it clear when he bought the Pens, Crosby would never be traded and retire a Penguin. Dubas reiterated the same when he was named Prez.

Crosby, Ovy… same battle, both are seen as franchise saviours
Yeah but you can sell the players around them. Malkin doesn’t have much left, Letang. They could have got Crosby some youth.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Pens on their way to Make Beliefs 2.0

Then Sid doesn’t really care about winning I guess. He’s done it twice which seems to be enough for him.
Sid’s departure would have a devastating effect to the org, business comes first - they can slowly acclimatize their fanbase into accepting the next rebuild once Crosby reitres …. until then they can keep milking the cow.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Then Sid doesn’t really care about winning I guess. He’s done it twice which seems to be enough for him.

Perhaps there is a handshake agreement that if the penguins start selling off these old dogs around Crosby that he will also explore other options.

A contract extension alone does not rule out the possibility IMO that Crosby may finish his career on another club or clubs.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I didn’t follow the draft that closely this year

I seem to remember hearing that Cole Hutson was going to be a top pick this year and he went late in the second

Same concerns as his brother?

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

the Pens wanted a GM that could sell em snake oil that they were still a playoff team. They're stuck on that Bergevin Mediocrity loop.

We should try acquiring one of their first round picks. The bubble will likely burst within the next 3 years.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Kyle Dubas is just John Chayka with a better PR team.
Dubas was pretty visibly out of his depth in Toronto. He leaned really hard into analytics, and I agree to a point. There is much more analytics data available for the regular season, and most analytics guys try to use as much data as possible, so they end up going with the hypothesis that someone who is good in the regular season will be good in the playoffs and any data to the contrary is a sample size problem.

He seems like a nice guy, and I guess we'll find out if he's a smart guy. The Leafs organization is sufficiently dysfunctional, controlling, and dramatic that it's tough to say how badly Dubas did. The team looks good on paper and in the regular season.

JackZap

May 7, 2009
This guy Dubas must be some kind of a magician during the interview process to keep getting these jobs.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
No idea why another team didn't outbid them on that... gonna turn in another Forsling here.
Boqvist will never be a player you can match up against top lines like Forsling. He's good offensively but brings little else to the table. Good situation for him in Florida though. He might play bottom pairing and take some of Montour's and OEL's PP minutes.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Boqvist will never be a player you can match up against top lines like Forsling. He's good offensively but brings little else to the table. Good situation for him in Florida though. He might play bottom pairing and take some of Montour's and OEL's PP minutes.

Nobody thought Forsling could do that either. There was a reason why he was put on waivers. Boqvist has enough pedigree and traits to have a similar development arc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad