HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Nobody thought Forsling could do that either. There was a reason why he was put on waivers. Boqvist has enough pedigree and traits to have a similar development arc.
Boqvist has trouble with strength, power and physicality of NHL game. Forsling doesn't need to put up points to be effective. The same can't be said about Boqvist. They're different style players. I had Boqvist in a keeper fantasy league so I've been watching him the last few years. He's very soft.

We'll see what happens in Florida. It's a good situation for him. He got a 2-way minimum one-year contract which means there was very little interest in him. If he doesn't pan out with Florida, he'll likely be in the SHL next year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Boqvist has trouble with strength, power and physicality of NHL game. Forsling doesn't need to put up points to be effective. The same can't be said about Boqvist. They're different style players. I had Boqvist in a keeper fantasy league so I've been watching him the last few years. He's very soft.
The Forsling comparison makes no sense. Forsling is a freak of an athlete. He's probably the most fit guy in the league. Boqvist's skating and strength is nowhere close to him.
We'll see what happens in Florida. It's a good situation for him. He got a 2-way minimum one-year contract which means there was very little interest in him. If he doesn't pan out with Florida, he'll likely be in the SHL next year.
Seems like it's a 1-way, the made a mistake at first. He'll definitely get his chances there and with Maurice's system, he'll look better defensively than he is.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Seems like it's a 1-way, the made a mistake at first. He'll definitely get his chances there and with Maurice's system, he'll look better defensively than he is.
OK. I read 2-way somewhere which really jumped out at me for a former top 10 pick with half-decent offensive production in his early career.

Reactions: Toene

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I know what he struggled with but you are talking about Boqvist now vs Forsling now.. I'm making a comparison between Boqvist now and Forsling then. If Forsling was a cromulent or advanced defender at the point Florida grabbed him, he would have never been available. He had to reinvent and develop that portion of his game. Boqvist may not, but it seems silly to let Florida be the team get that player.. there's a ton of rebuilding teams that should have paid him more on a one year deal.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The person doing the tweet was managing the depth-chart feature of the CapFriendly site. They didn't say if they were moving to puckpedia or somewhere else (capwages.com is another option).
I know, I just shared another option. Puckpedia is pretty decent

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The tweet make it sound like McLellan was negotiating with two teams for a new contract and both found him too expensive.

I'm not sure why CBJ would circle back if they removed it from their list of possible candidates thought.

He's fired but getting paid by LA, so I'm sure there's some type of financial dealings that needs to happen.

Reactions: morhilane

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Dubas was pretty visibly out of his depth in Toronto. He leaned really hard into analytics, and I agree to a point. There is much more analytics data available for the regular season, and most analytics guys try to use as much data as possible, so they end up going with the hypothesis that someone who is good in the regular season will be good in the playoffs and any data to the contrary is a sample size problem.

He seems like a nice guy, and I guess we'll find out if he's a smart guy. The Leafs organization is sufficiently dysfunctional, controlling, and dramatic that it's tough to say how badly Dubas did. The team looks good on paper and in the regular season.
Funny enough, I actually think when he started not leaning into analytics as much and tried to make the leafs "tougher for the playoffs" is when he started making most of his mistakes. Getting Foligno for a 1st was a terrible decision and he continued doing stupid moves like that to appease the media.

Hopefully he learned his lesson, but so far not very fond of what he's been doing with the Pens either.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Funny enough, I actually think when he started not leaning into analytics as much and tried to make the leafs "tougher for the playoffs" is when he started making most of his mistakes. Getting Foligno for a 1st was a terrible decision and he continued doing stupid moves like that to appease the media.

Hopefully he learned his lesson, but so far not very fond of what he's been doing with the Pens either.
Was that Dubas or Shana-plan enforcing his will?

Dubas was pretty visibly out of his depth in Toronto. He leaned really hard into analytics, and I agree to a point. There is much more analytics data available for the regular season, and most analytics guys try to use as much data as possible, so they end up going with the hypothesis that someone who is good in the regular season will be good in the playoffs and any data to the contrary is a sample size problem.

He seems like a nice guy, and I guess we'll find out if he's a smart guy. The Leafs organization is sufficiently dysfunctional, controlling, and dramatic that it's tough to say how badly Dubas did. The team looks good on paper and in the regular season.
Tulsky is another GM in the same predicament as is NJD brain-trust .. there has yet to be an analytics driven roster construction to win the Cup

Time will tell if that trend holds

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Good for Crosby. I might be weird, but part of my enjoyment of following these kids and their development, is the idea that they will always be Montreal Canadiens. Having players who wear only 1 jersey and represent a team throughout their career is healthy for the game.
I agree.
I also think a Ray Bourque situation is also good for the league.
I'd want to see the same for McDavid if it ever comes to that.
Crosby has his Cups he can retire a Penguin in peace.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
People will be surprised by Boqvist this year. He’ll have an opportunity to play on PP1. Florida just won the Cup by sheltering bad defensive defencemen. Montour is shit defensively. OEL isn’t that good. Didn’t really matter.
For the ~40 games he's going to play!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Reactions: Habs10Habs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Was that Dubas or Shana-plan enforcing his will?

Tulsky is another GM in the same predicament as is NJD brain-trust .. there has yet to be an analytics driven roster construction to win the Cup

Time will tell if that trend holds
Most teams use analytics to some degree. US teams maybe more than Canadian ones with traditional hockey guys.

The Leafs went a little too far, got a team that was great until the playoffs, then tried to readjust. Using analytics to find players who are undervalued makes sense. Building a team based on advanced stats is unlikely to go well unless you have a truly amazing amount of data. Available data is limited and of varying quality.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Most teams use analytics to some degree. US teams maybe more than Canadian ones with traditional hockey guys.

The Leafs went a little too far, got a team that was great until the playoffs, then tried to readjust. Using analytics to find players who are undervalued makes sense. Building a team based on advanced stats is unlikely to go well unless you have a truly amazing amount of data. Available data is limited and of varying quality.
Also has to do with ownership background:

Dundon (Canes), John Henry (Pens) and Josh Harris (NJD) are all hedge fund types who come from the world of quantitative analytics (quants), so it’s not surprising they default to managers who meet their comfort zone

For Shana-plan, Dubas hire (in hindsight) was trying to play smartest guy in the room vs sticking w Uncle Lou

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Also has to do with ownership background:

Dundon (Canes), John Henry (Pens) and Josh Harris (NJD) are all hedge fund types who come from the world of quantitative analytics (quants), so it’s not surprising they default to managers who meet their comfort zone

For Shana-plan, Dubas hire (in hindsight) was trying to play smartest guy in the room vs sticking w Uncle Lou
I would take what Dubas did with the Leafs any day over what Lou is currently doing with the Islanders.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I would take what Dubas did with the Leafs any day over what Lou is currently doing with the Islanders.
Under Lou they brought in the big 3 - is it Dubas or Mark Hunter who deserves credit for Marner and Nylander?

Every GM had core strength and many many flaws - Dubas strikes me as a good rebuild GM, whereas Uncle Lou is more capable of transitioning a well drafted system towards championship mode

We’ll find out what Dubas does w Pens, but I suspect he’s in Stevie Y GM sphere….not the type to take a team to the next level

Reactions: Tyson

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
Urth
Under Lou they brought in the big 3 - is it Dubas or Mark Hunter who deserves credit for Marner and Nylander?

Every GM had core strength and many many flaws - Dubas strikes me as a good rebuild GM, whereas Uncle Lou is more capable of transitioning a well drafted system towards championship mode

We’ll find out what Dubas does w Pens, but I suspect he’s in Stevie Y GM sphere….not the type to take a team to the next level

I don't think Dubas or Hunter were with the Leafs at the time of the 2014 draft (Nylander being the pick). That being said, Hunter was the one who made the call on Marner in the 2015 draft. Mike Babcock was pushing for Hanifin.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad