Stanley Cup roster

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
No but Willy might, Nylander might be asked to center the 2nd line with his new contract and Tavares who has lost a step might fall to #3 C .

XXXX --- Matthews --- XXXX
XXXX --- Nylander --- XXXX
XXXX --- Tavares ----- XXXX

Players that make double digit salaries need to be capable of driving their own lines.

Fill in the blanks XXXX
I think the blanks should be...

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann

The Holmberg one could also be Jarnkrok, Grebyenkin, or Cowan (possibly A. Nylander). I like Holmberg there. He is defensively responsible and Marner called him his favourite player in the NHL (or whatever) and he is a fellow Swede with/for Willy. Any one of the three could be C on that line.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
I try to imagine Marner lining up against someone like Barkov in the playoffs and I just don't see it.
Actually very easy to see that except on faceoffs skillets of both Marner & Barkov very similar, both can be used in all situations including PK & PP, both are elite & equally brilliant on both sides of the game defensively & offensive. Their impact is they make their linemates better as such, very much like a Matthews, McDavid, Draisitil, Crosby, McKinnon, Kucherov, etc. Mitch is in the conversation as a top 10 talent in the league. More ice with more imagination & vision to an elite player, is a bonus also why they excel on either the PK or PP. Less players on the ice for an elite player can be a very good thing. Mitch would be a great C, one glaring weakness is faceoffs. That is all between the ears & Marners hockey IQ strong enough to overcome that deficiency, will require sobeyond that hurdle which will requires work & determination. Marner with two scoring wingers like the Nylander brothers that would be a sight to behold. Tavares as a 3rd line centre a better asset to the team, unless he plays wing in the top 6. So if going that route.

Tavares Matthews Cowan
A. Nylander Marner W. Nylander
McMann Domi Knies
Paciorrety Holmberg Reaves

* Third line that is very fast with gifted playmaking & goal scoring, if it gelled it would rival the very best lines in the league including the Matthews line with 2 playmaking wingers that can also score. Cowan will be the October surprise for Leafs fans. Paciorrety if healthy will be a great signing for someone why not the Leafs, undeniably Pacioretty is a tough dude remember the Chara hit ? a lesser man would have never played thereafter. A big badass hit & as brutal as they come delivered by Chara biggest dude in the league, fans watching horrified thinking the worst & yet Maxipad indeed went on to play again.

Actually very easy to see that except on faceoffs skillets of both Marner & Barkov very similar, both can be used in all situations including PK & PP, both are elite & equally brilliant on both sides of the game defensively & offensive. Their impact is they make their linemates better as such, very much like a Matthews, McDavid, Draisitil, Crosby, McKinnon, Kucherov, etc. Mitch is in the conversation as a top 10 talent in the league. More ice with more imagination & vision to an elite player, is a bonus also why they excel on either the PK or PP. Less players on the ice for an elite player can be a very good thing. Mitch would be a great C, one glaring weakness is faceoffs. That is all between the ears & Marners hockey IQ strong enough to overcome that deficiency, will require sobeyond that hurdle which will requires work & determination. Marner with two scoring wingers like the Nylander brothers that would be a sight to behold. Tavares as a 3rd line centre a better asset to the team, unless he plays wing in the top 6. So if going that route.

Tavares Matthews Cowan
McMann Domi Knies

* Third line that is very fast with gifted playmaking & goal scoring, if it gelled it would rival the very best lines in the league including the Matthews line with 2 playmaking wingers that can also score. Cowan will be the October surprise for Leafs fans. Paciorrety if healthy will be a great signing for someone why not the Leafs, undeniably Pacioretty is a tough dude remember the Chara hit ? a lesser man would have never played thereafter. A big badass hit & as brutal as they come delivered by Chara biggest dude in the league, fans watching horrified thinking the worst & yet Maxipad indeed went on to play again.
Meant to say 2nd line with Mitch & Nylander brothers would rival any top line in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Tavares Matthews Cowan
McMann Domi Knies

Meant to say 2nd line with Mitch & Nylander brothers would rival any top line in the league.
If you put Marner in the same conversation as McKinnon, Crosby, McDavid then we will have to agree to disagree. He is not even close to the players those 3 are. Kucherov had 44 goals and 144 pts last year, 113 the yer before and has been deep Ithe playoffs and won the big prize and plays a dirty game and edge whenever he can. Again, Marner is not in the same conversation. Back to Marner at the C position....I would try it but I see him getting pushed around way too easily.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think the blanks should be...

Knies Matthews Domi
Holmberg Nylander Marner
Robertson Tavares McMann

The Holmberg one could also be Jarnkrok, Grebyenkin, or Cowan (possibly A. Nylander). I like Holmberg there. He is defensively responsible and Marner called him his favourite player in the NHL (or whatever) and he is a fellow Swede with/for Willy. Any one of the three could be C on that line.
Or try Holmberg - Nylander - Jarnkrok - that would be Swede. But where would you play Marner?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Or try Holmberg - Nylander - Jarnkrok - that would be Swede. But where would you play Marner?
I like that line and pencilled it in whenever I drew up scenarios where we traded Marner.

I like giving Holmberg the nod over Jarnkrok in my scenario because it feels like a bit more of investment in our future.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Tavares Matthews Cowan
McMann Domi Knies

The skillets of Marner and Barkov may be similar, but their skillsets aren't.

Tavares is no more than a 3C now, and Cowan is a rookie. Marner hasn't played centre since junior more than 9 years ago, and A Nylander may be nothing more than a minor leaguer. Domi is much more effective on the wing.

Congratulations - you have somehow managed to create three third lines.

To top it all off, you're comparing Marner to Barkov, Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, MacKinnon, Kucherov, etc.?

Reactions: arso40 and IPS

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Tavares is no more than a 3C now, and Cowan is a rookie. Marner hasn't played centre since junior more than 9 years ago, and A Nylander may be nothing more than a minor leaguer. Domi is much more effective on the wing.

Congratulations - you have somehow managed to create three third lines.

To top it all off, you're comparing Marner to Barkov, Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, MacKinnon, Kucherov, etc.?
I agree that we need to be phasing JT out of an important role in our top six, but offensively he absolutely produced as one of the 64 best scoring centres in the league last year.

Reactions: arso40

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I like that line and pencilled it in whenever I drew up scenarios where we traded Marner.

I like giving Holmberg the nod over Jarnkrok in my scenario because it feels like a bit more of investment in our future.
Maybe swap McMann and Holmberg. Try to keep McMann hot on his natural side and add some jam to L2. Holm plays his off wing.

Both of them and Robo compete with those left out to keep their spots. The rest are pretty safe.

I always liked Jarn but starting to think he is done in our top six, and we probably move on altogether soon.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Maybe swap McMann and Holmberg. Try to keep McMann hot on his natural side and add some jam to L2. Holm plays his off wing.

Both of them and Robo compete with those left out to keep their spots. The rest are pretty safe.

I always liked Jarn but starting to think he is done in our top six, and we probably move on altogether soon.

That makes sense, the McMann option, I do believe Robertson Tavares and McMann was a line that worked a bit last year. If that is the the third line and they click that really changes the look of this time. I guess I feel like McMann might go round out that line and maybe even help drive it.

Anyway you slice it I think we have lots of potential configurations and a new coach. Who knows what we see? For me, the things I want to see are:

Knies and Matthews for an extended look. I think this two could have real magic.

Domi with Matthews. I think we could turn Domi into a ppg $3.75m player. We need that kind of value.

Nylander and Marner together, preferably with Nylander at C (though Marner or Holmberg could do as well) and Marner turning Willy into a 50-goal man.

Robertson, Tavares, and McMann being a productive, reliable third line that wins matchups. Maybe this turns Robertson into a player of value for us or in trade.

I would like to see less juggling too. Give lines chance to work and build chemistry. We have enough depth that if someone goes down with injury we replace them without breaking up the other lines.

Optimal fourth line would be Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
That makes sense, the McMann option, I do believe Robertson Tavares and McMann was a line that worked a bit last year. If that is the the third line and they click that really changes the look of this time. I guess I feel like McMann might go round out that line and maybe even help drive it.

Anyway you slice it I think we have lots of potential configurations and a new coach. Who knows what we see? For me, the things I want to see are:

Knies and Matthews for an extended look. I think this two could have real magic.

Domi with Matthews. I think we could turn Domi into a ppg $3.75m player. We need that kind of value.

Nylander and Marner together, preferably with Nylander at C (though Marner or Holmberg could do as well) and Marner turning Willy into a 50-goal man.

Robertson, Tavares, and McMann being a productive, reliable third line that wins matchups. Maybe this turns Robertson into a player of value for us or in trade.

I would like to see less juggling too. Give lines chance to work and build chemistry. We have enough depth that if someone goes down with injury we replace them without breaking up the other lines.

Optimal fourth line would be Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Losing Bert was a bit annoying. I think part of what we're trying to do is get some physicality in the top six to supplement the cores weakness. If we end up with just Knies then we didn't do a very good job of that.

Can't really complain about Jarn on the 4th line, outside of the price. I'd keep Reavo penciled in there until he falls out of the league. Hopefully he has another year in him, even if it's spot duty in the playoffs, it's important in the Atlantic.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Losing Bert was a bit annoying. I think part of what we're trying to do is get some physicality in the top six to supplement the cores weakness. If we end up with just Knies then we didn't do a very good job of that.

Can't really complain about Jarn on the 4th line, outside of the price. I'd keep Reavo penciled in there until he falls out of the league. Hopefully he has another year in him, even if it's spot duty in the playoffs, it's important in the Atlantic.
I think Jarnkrok and Kampf are both strong fourth liners, they just make too much for the role.

I will miss Bert but was totally on board with only keeping one of he and Domi and putting the money back to D. We needed that more.

As for grit or sandpaper in the top nine. Domi? Knies? McMann? That's it. Keeping Bert would have been one more, assuming he knocked Holmberg out of the top nine, but only one more.

We need Matthews, Nylander and even Marner to play a tougher game, maybe not to initiate, but to not need to be protected. I am hoping maybe Berube came along at the right time to help move this development along.

Reactions: arso40 and LeafEgo

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I assume you meant Marner and Barkov have a similar skill level?

Skillset wise you're absolutely right, the skillset of Barkov as a C can only be matched by 1 or maybe 2 wingers in the world.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
We need Matthews, Nylander and even Marner to play a tougher game, maybe not to initiate, but to not need to be protected. I am hoping maybe Berube came along at the right time to help move this development along.
That's valid, but if I'm in the back office I'm saying yeah, well, let's just go ahead and do that supplementing physicality thing...

It is what it is. We've shaped the roster in a reasonable way, put more resources into the defensive corps. With our cap structure there will always be gaps that need to be overcome by strengths.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
That's valid, but if I'm in the back office I'm saying yeah, well, let's just go ahead and do that supplementing physicality thing...

It is what it is. We've shaped the roster in a reasonable way, put more resources into the defensive corps. With our cap structure there will always be gaps that need to be overcome by strengths.

Yes, you just described every roster in the NHL...trying to find the right recipe and hoping strengths can cover for weaknesses.

You are right though, in our case it is a clear and potentially solvable one. I guess this is another reason to not love Kampf and Jarnkrok taking bottom of the roster spots. This is where you can keep the muscle too. The problem is it also where we keep the PKers. Reaves on the fourth line can make some sense, but he is only really bringing that one dimension.

Any way I slice it, you can't get enough muscle around our top guys, we need them to bring some and not need the bodyguards. That's the way we get over the hump. I believe Matty can and has shown a bit more of this every year. Willy? I don't know, he doesn't seem sort anymore? Marner? Add this to the list of reasons we might want to move on after this season.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Sign Pacioretty for league minimum or a bit over

Trade Kampf, Robertson & Jarncrock. Then once the season progresses call up A. Nylander

Knies Matthews Cowan
McMann Tavares Domi
Dewar

Reilly Tanev
OEL McCabe
Benoit Liljegren
Timmins

Woll Stolarz

1st PP : Matthews, Marner, W. Nylander, Cowan & Reilly

2nd PP : Tavares, A. Nylander, Domi, Knies or Paciorrety ( whomever has the hot hand ) & OEL

* Marner as a C with 2 scoring wingers would be lethal, more ice for Mitch to work his magic. An adjustment yes but skilled enough defensively to do so, though he would need some work on his faceoffs. Mitch is that good with Matthews, Marner & Tavares as your top 3 centers certainly comparable to Edmonton with McDavid, Draisaitl & Henrique or Florida with Barkovs, Bennett & Lundell.
why is it when almost everyone posts lineups they post PP lineups but not the PK lineup?

like other then Marner there's not a single forward I would trust to be a quality PK'er on the forward lines and we were like 20-25 league wide last year and terrible in the first 4 games of the playoffs, that's an area we needed to improve on.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
why is it when almost everyone posts lineups they post PP lineups but not the PK lineup?

like other then Marner there's not a single forward I would trust to be a quality PK'er on the forward lines and we were like 20-25 league wide last year and terrible in the first 4 games of the playoffs, that's an area we needed to improve on.
after the playoffs he has alot to show to warrant even being on it when it matters

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I assume you meant Marner and Barkov have a similar skill level?

Skillset wise you're absolutely right, the skillset of Barkov as a C can only be matched by 1 or maybe 2 wingers in the world.
Actually I was just having a bit of fun with the other poster, who said their skillets (i.e. frying pans) were similar.

I don't know what kind of frying pans they use, but their skills are very different.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree that we need to be phasing JT out of an important role in our top six, but offensively he absolutely produced as one of the 64 best scoring centres in the league last year.
I agree that he produced decent numbers, in large part because of playing with Willy and on the PP, but the dropoff from previous years and even just watching him makes my believe he's past his 2C expiry date.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I agree that he produced decent numbers, in large part because of playing with Willy and on the PP, but the dropoff from previous years and even just watching him makes my believe he's past his 2C expiry date.
I am not going to argue this point, because I generally agree. He could bounce back or we could prop him and support him again but neither of these are things a contending team should count on.

I am a big proponent of moving Nylander or Marner to 2C for an extended look. I think it should be Nylander as we are already committed to him for eight years.

It solves so much for us if it works. We need a 2C, JT might be a solid 3C for a few years at a reduced cost, we have winger prospects, and paying C's makes more sense than W's.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024

Cowan also sound defensively & also plays the PK, along with Marner, Knies, McMann, Holmberg, Dewar & possibly Domi or Matthews would get PK time. Special teams takes work & the right coaching, feeling good about Savard running the PP. Hopefully PK can improve & I do think Cowan could play a key role in that and maybe a Minten also if he makes the team.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

Tavares Matthews Cowan
McMann Domi Knies

Amazing troll job. It was confirmed by your join date.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Also adding Cowan & A. Nylander to the lineup, giving the right opportunity both could thrive.
With all due respect, Alex Nylander is no team's cup team/cup dream. He has to be regular NHLer first. The same goes for Cowen.

Using William Nylander as an example he played 75 games with the Marlies before he played as a regular with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00