HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Your second to last paragraph tells me you pretty much agree with my premise, but you ignore the dozen of great signings theres been in the league in the last two days. Carrick, Girgensons, Walker, Trenin, etc.
Kinda? I agree with your premise of "it would be nice to add some juice to the roster" but the names you've listed and the emotions you're expressing about this are pretty far away from where I'm at, particularly as I figured you meant actual top4D/top6F additions if you're talking about trying to push closer to the playoffs. Walker I do legitimately like and I would have been happy to do 4Mx5Y for him (as I assume we'd have to pay a little more than Carolina) but I see him as a completely different category of player as he's a legitimate 2nd pair D so that's a different discussion.

I would have been fine with signing any of those forwards mentioned but they also don't do much for me. Carrick replacing Pezzetta or Girgensons replacing Evans is just shuffling deck chairs around. I'd have been fine with trading Evans for a pick to sign Girgensons, but I'm also fine with keeping Evans for now and either trading him at the deadline or giving him a 2-3 year extension as well. Doesn't really matter for me, they're just 4Cs either way. Trenin is the best of the bunch as he's a real 3rd line option, but at 4x3.5 it's pretty whatever to me. I wouldn't have minded getting Trenin at that price but I also don't mind holding off when Gallagher and Anderson already account for 2/4 bottom six wing slots for the next three years on top of a pending UFA Armia still around for this year.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
It’s true that a lot of teams got better yesterday, but for some of them it won’t mean much.

Some teams will still finish under the habs and it feels like Chicago, Anaheim and San Jose are still a lock for that.

Montreal, Utah, Columbus, Philadelphia, Seattle are in that second tier. Utah maybe jumps in that next tier with Calgary and all those teams fighting for a wild card spot.

Obviously anything can happen especially if injuries are part of the equation.

We’ll need to wait and see how the season goes, but I’m expecting the team to be bottom 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Every team got better and we didn't, hwo do you figure we dont get dunked on?
Very few teams "got better".
Most replaced player departures/filled empty roster spots.

Habs had 2 departures, Ylonen & Kovacevic.

Stability is valuable in building team identity and can have a very positive performance improvement impact.

Our roster is heavy on U25 players, net improved performance from a young core like this is also very likely and, coupled with significant stability, arguably more conducive to improved team performance than trying to adjust to multiple new additions.

Without even factoring the unknown additional changes possible before opening day, on paper, Habs are more improved heading into next season than many of the teams that made moves on July 1st.

TT and Bertuzzi are mid 6 forwards, I'm sure they would've agreed to sign here for similar money, at the end of the day though, TT wasn't a target I was just giving it as an example as a counter point to the "no UFA wants to sign here" bs.

TT returned to Chicago, city he's lived in and org. that drafted him. Good bet that he had some personal incentive to return.

Bertuzzi... Meh. Not a great fit for the kind of culture and style of play we are building. I'd be surprised if KH did more than the minimal due diligence in kicking tires on making an offer to him.

Yes, especially a guy say like Trenin, young, cheap and good.
I wanted us to take a look at Trenin...

But 4yrs @3.5M is a big, expensive commitment to a guy who could only get 4th line minutes from a playoff team that added him specifically to improve their middle 6.

Armia is a better hockey player and most view his 3.5M hit as onerous.

Easy pass on that one.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Bruins play us on Dec 1 for their Centennial Game. We kicked their asses in ours, and we can ruin their already ruined 100th anniversary (two big chokes). Looking forward to it

file (1).png
"Well it certainly looks like the Xhekaj brothers aren't done after serving the last 16 minor penalties."

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Davidson said on draft night, the org would consider upcoming season a failure if they drafted top-10 and they would be active this offseason to ensure that isn’t the case

There's no way they're not drafting top 10 next year. I can see improvement to 7-9 range, but that's about it. Central in particular is a tough division.

Calgary looks to be tanking. San Jose will still be bad. Utah is taking major steps, though. I can see the Kings taking a major step back.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're still a bottom 5 team.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad