HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Chicago is still easily a bottom 10 and probably bottom ~6 team. Hall Bedard Bertuzzi is nice but it drops off steeply afterwards and their goalie is still Mrazek. Just don't think that Teravainen, Mikheyev, Maroon, Smith, and some old dmen really gets them out of the bottom tier.
Teravainen had 53 pts just last year, how is he a steep drop off as a #4 forward? Kurashev, Dickinson and Athanasiou are all good 2nd or 3rd line tweeners too. Their offense is good, if unspectacular. Depending on how ready kids like Levshunov, Moore, Del Mastro, Nazar and Dach are they could add a decent amount of depth. They're moving forward into their competitive window, it's hard to hate on them.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think Chicago is still easily a bottom 10 and probably bottom ~6 team. Hall Bedard Bertuzzi is nice but it drops off steeply afterwards and their goalie is still Mrazek. Just don't think that Teravainen, Mikheyev, Maroon, Smith, and some old dmen really gets them out of the bottom tier.
I mean, it's only July 2. They have a ton of capspace and there are a bunch of RFA teams will try to fit. Same applies for Montreal.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Teravainen had 53 pts just last year, how is he a steep drop off as a #4 forward? Kurashev, Dickinson and Athanasiou are all good 2nd or 3rd line tweeners too. Their offense is good, if unspectacular.
I think it's OK to mediocre and their defence and goaltending is still bad. Brodie is pretty cooked and old Martinez isn't enough to make a huge difference there IMO. Teravainen is fine and I like him, but I say it drops off afterward because they probably can only put together one good line. I'll fully agree that Bedard, Hall, Bertuzzi, Teravainen is 4 good forwards though. Not really a fan of Athanasiou personally. He's fine for a rebuilding team but I don't think he's much of a net positive player. Kurashev is alright, Dickinson is a fine 2C for a rebuilder but I don't think he's anything great either.

They're playing in the Central and I don't see them as anywhere close on paper to anyone in that division right now. They would need to make up over 90 net goals just to get to the same goal differential as last year's Coyotes, and Utah has now taken major steps on paper too. Maybe Chicago can finish 7th in that division if the Wild have a significant down year but that's about as high as I can put them.
Depending on how ready kids like Levshunov, Moore, Del Mastro, Nazar and Dach are they could add a decent amount of depth. They're moving forward into their competitive window, it's hard to hate on them.
I'm not hating on them. I mostly like what they've done so far this offseason by adding flippable vets and getting paid to take Mikheyev so they can ice an actual NHL roster while continuing to stockpile even as they signal the end of the tank phase. I just don't think what they added gets them anywhere close to the playoff bubble.

Someone like Moore or Nazar would have to hit as a legitimately good top 6 option from day 1 to really elevate them and I'm still not sure that would be enough to get as high as the playoff bubble with their goaltending. I still really like their summer in terms of the medium to long-term outlook for the reasons you've outlined, but I don't think they're better than the 23-24 Senators or Coyotes on paper yet, and I can't put them any higher than 7th in the Central for 24-25.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yep we are about to enter the dog days of summer.
Still Barron and Xhekaj to re-sign and Guhle to extends (that one might be pushed to next year according to Hughes if nothing advance).

But trades, I'm not expecting any until training camp and they get to see what the kids looks like.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think it's OK to mediocre and their defence and goaltending is still bad. Brodie is pretty cooked and old Martinez isn't enough to make a huge difference there IMO. Teravainen is fine and I like him, but I say it drops off afterward because they probably can only put together one good line. I'll fully agree that Bedard, Hall, Bertuzzi, Teravainen is 4 good forwards though. Not really a fan of Athanasiou personally. He's fine for a rebuilding team but I don't think he's much of a net positive player. Kurashev is alright, Dickinson is a fine 2C for a rebuilder but I don't think he's anything great either.

They're playing in the Central and I don't see them as anywhere close on paper to anyone in that division right now. They would need to make up over 90 net goals just to get to the same goal differential as last year's Coyotes, and Utah has now taken major steps on paper too. Maybe Chicago can finish 7th in that division if the Wild have a significant down year but that's about as high as I can put them.

I'm not hating on them. I mostly like what they've done so far this offseason by adding flippable vets and getting paid to take Mikheyev so they can ice an actual NHL roster while continuing to stockpile even as they signal the end of the tank phase. I just don't think what they added gets them anywhere close to the playoff bubble.

Someone like Moore or Nazar would have to hit as a legitimately good top 6 option from day 1 to really elevate them and I'm still not sure that would be enough to get as high as the playoff bubble with their goaltending. I still really like their summer in terms of the medium to long-term outlook for the reasons you've outlined, but I don't think they're better than the 23-24 Senators or Coyotes on paper yet, and I can't put them any higher than 7th in the Central for 24-25.
They have a comparable roster to Minny and better than Arizona and STL now, they will finish higher than them. I expect about a 11th place finish in the west. That's a massive improvement and builds momentum.

Meanwhile the Habs are still the clear worse team in the Atlantic, even with teams not getting better, because HuGo chose to not do anything. Frustrating.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Still Barron and Xhekaj to re-sign and Guhle to extends (that one might be pushed to next year according to Hughes if nothing advance).

But trades, I'm not expecting any until training camp and they get to see what the kids looks like.
Finalizing the Laval coaching and roster.

Reactions: morhilane

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
They have a comparable roster to Minny and better than Arizona and STL now, they will finish higher than them. I expect about a 11th place finish in the west. That's a massive improvement and builds momentum.

Meanwhile the Habs are still the clear worse team in the Atlantic, even with teams not getting better, because HuGo chose to not do anything. Frustrating.
Sometimes not doing anything is the right path. If they did something it might take you out of the lottery position for next season and the draft next year is supposed to be super deep with high end talent.

Plus, you kind of want all your young guys to develop at the same time. Habs wont make the playoffs this year and will be poised for another great selection. Demidov is your Marner, but without the choke part. :nod:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sometimes not doing anything is the right path. If they did something it might take you out of the lottery position for next season and the draft next year is supposed to be super deep with high end talent.

Plus, you kind of want all your young guys to develop at the same time. Habs wont make the playoffs this year and will be poised for another great selection. Demidov is your Marner, but without the choke part. :nod:
Cant wait to not make the POs for the 7th year in the last ten years. Exciting stuff.

We've tanked just as much as Chicago, it's time to go. We don't need more talent, we need progression now.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Cant wait to not make the POs for the 7th year in the last ten years. Exciting stuff.

We've tanked just as much as Chicago, it's time to go. We don't need more talent, we need progression now.
It's not Hughes's fault that we were unable to be a consistent playoff team before he was hired. Also, the best case with overpaying for the UFAs in this class would be to rank in the same spots as where we drafted CC/Guhle. So that's still not making the POs and we have more expensive contracts handed out to declining players when we can't even get out of the contracts we have right now. You can't say you want progression then only count PO appearances because that invalidates your argument.

Chicago completely stripped their team by trading away or letting go anyone who could tie their skates. They had like 3 NHL forwards last year and we're getting pumped every game. They added NHLers to a team filled with AHLers. Same thing with the Sharks. Michael Granlund was their best player last year lol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's not Hughes's fault that we were unable to be a consistent playoff team before he was hired. Also, the best case with overpaying for the UFAs in this class would be to rank in the same spots as where we drafted CC/Guhle. So that's still not making the POs and we have more expensive contracts handed out to declining players when we can't even get out of the contracts we have right now. You can't say you want progression then only count PO appearances because that invalidates your argument.

Chicago completely stripped their team by trading away or letting go anyone who could tie their skates. They had like 3 NHL forwards last year and we're getting pumped every game. They added NHLers to a team filled with AHLers. Same thing with the Sharks. Michael Granlund was their best player last year lol.
There's plenty of teams that added without overpaying. This is not honest debating and assumes our precious HuGo isn't some awesome GM that can make shrewd moves. There was plenty of talent that was up for grab to adress the bottom 9.

I don't care if they make the POs or not, but there has to be progression, right now we're a bottom 2 team in the league.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
There's plenty of teams that added without overpaying. This is not honest debating and assumes our precious HuGo isn't some awesome GM that can make shrewd moves. There was plenty of talent that was up for grab to adress the bottom 9.

I don't care if they make the POs or not, but there has to be progression, right now we're a bottom 2 team in the league.
I never claimed it he was an awesome GM, but the crying that we couldn't sign the Toffolis/Monahans to help us go from bottom 5 to bottom 12 (which according to you would still be a failure since it's not making the playoffs) makes no sense. I already mentioned it was a fail not to sign a physical 4th liner that can PK. There's pretty much no excuse not to sign Carrick by paying him more than what he got with the Rangers.

So why would you even bring up the amount of times we've missed the playoffs if you don't care? We have been rebuilding for 3 years and MB's dogshit contracts have handcuffed us.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I never claimed it he was an awesome GM, but the crying that we couldn't sign the Toffolis/Monahans to help us go from bottom 5 to bottom 12 (which according to you would still be a failure since it's not making the playoffs) makes no sense. I already mentioned it was a fail not to sign a physical 4th liner that can PK. There's pretty much no excuse not to sign Carrick by paying him more than what he got with the Rangers.

So why would you even bring up the amount of times we've missed the playoffs if you don't care? We have been rebuilding for 3 years and MB's dogshit contracts have handcuffed us.
I never cried that they didn't sign Monahan or Toffoli. I don't think the top 6 needs additions. It's the bottom 6 that annoys me. Like I said, there's been many players signed to decent contracts that could've helped a lot in the bottom 6 but we chose to go with Pezzeta/anderson/Gallagher/armia/dvorak again. There's at the very least two spots there for players.

I guess Barré-Boulet is the answer, lol.

I brought up the POs because we should be starting to build momentum to our competition window, we don't need more talent, we need to learn to win. Don't care if they miss the POs by 6 points, I care that they miss by 40 again.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
They have a comparable roster to Minny and better than Arizona and STL now
No way IMO. Schmaltz, Hayton, Keller, Crouse, Cooley, Maccelli, Bjugstad, Kerfoot, Doan, McBain, Guenther and the new look defence built around Sergachev, Marino, and Durzi is easily ahead of Chicago's and if we're penciling in Chicago's prospect pool then we also have to consider if Lamoureux or Iginla might make an impact, or if Cooley/Guenther might take a huge step forward this year to. Utah has better goaltending as well, and still has 15M in cap space so I doubt they're finished yet. As for STL I don't really love their roster but each of Thomas, Buchenevich, and Kyrou would be by far the 2nd best forward for Chicago and they have better depth everywhere (and again they have better goaltending).

As for Minnesota, Faber would be Chicago's #1D while Kaprizov, Boldy, Eriksson-Ek, Zuccarello, and Hartman are a better top 6 as well and similarly just have better depth players all around. Goaltending might be more of a wash there. Minnesota is probably the only team I could see finishing behind them though.
they will finish higher than them. I expect about a 11th place finish in the west. That's a massive improvement and builds momentum.
I guess we'll see. I don't think they're even better than the 23-24 Coyotes. Again they need to make up 90 net goals to even reach 23-24 Arizona's goal differential. They'll need to have some young guys other than Bedard take huge steps because otherwise most of their offseason is adding rough equivalents to the vets that all the other bottom half of the league teams other than San Jose already had on their rosters.
I gotta admit I'm not really sure why you're so jealous of Chicago essentially just adding their own versions of the guys we already have or recently had. They got their own equivalents to guys like Monahan, Toffoli, Gallagher, Dvorak, Dadonov, Hoffman, Pearson, Armia, Savard, and Edmundson. It makes sense for them in their situation, but we should know as well as anyone that having a lineup full of OK mediocre NHLers and a couple promising 21 year olds doesn't generate an immediate huge jump in the standings. It's still a good offseason for them but we didn't need to sign all those guys because we already have our own mediocre veterans in place.

I would have liked to take a bigger step this year too but it is what it is. If Marchessault is getting 5 years what are you realistically going to do? Zucker, Teravainen, or Perron would have been good options for us and I would have liked that Sean Walker contract too, but those are pretty marginal impact players. The summer's also not over and we'll absolutely be adding at least one more forward via trade or by signing Tarasenko/Sprong.

Also to be clear I'm sending big messages because I'm in and out of meetings today at work so I have to keep changing tabs, not trying to send huge messages about this topic on purpose.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I never cried that they didn't sign Monahan or Toffoli. I don't think the top 6 needs additions. It's the bottom 6 that annoys me. Like I said, there's been many players signed to decent contracts that could've helped a lot in the bottom 6 but we chose to go with Pezzeta/anderson/Gallagher/armia/dvorak again. There's at the very least two spots there for players.
You mention Terevainen/Bertuzzi but they wouldn't sign here to play bottom 6. I agree we should have signed a 4th liner, but that's not going to make or break between being a bottom 2 team according to you and sizeable progression.
I guess Barré-Boulet is the answer, lol.
He's going to Laval.
I brought up the POs because we should be starting to build momentum to our competition window, we don't need more talent, we need to learn to win. Don't care if they miss the POs by 6 points, I care that they miss by 40 again.
It's funny having a whole two seasons of people saying we are playing way above our weight class and keeping so many games close which will cost the tank, but now all of a sudden we are guaranteed to get pumped every game with the same team. The bump from a bottom 5 team to a team competing for the wild card will come from natural progression from our young top guys, not by adding bottom 6 forwards.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No way IMO. Schmaltz, Hayton, Keller, Crouse, Cooley, Maccelli, Bjugstad, Kerfoot, Doan, McBain, Guenther and the new look defence built around Sergachev, Marino, and Durzi is easily ahead of Chicago's and if we're penciling in Chicago's prospect pool then we also have to consider if Lamoureux or Iginla might make an impact, or if Cooley/Guenther might take a huge step forward this year to. Utah has better goaltending as well, and still has 15M in cap space so I doubt they're finished yet. As for STL I don't really love their roster but each of Thomas, Buchenevich, and Kyrou would be by far the 2nd best forward for Chicago and they have better depth everywhere (and again they have better goaltending).

As for Minnesota, Faber would be Chicago's #1D while Kaprizov, Boldy, Eriksson-Ek, Zuccarello, and Hartman are a better top 6 as well and similarly just have better depth players all around. Goaltending might be more of a wash there. Minnesota is probably the only team I could see finishing behind them though.

I guess we'll see. I don't think they're even better than the 23-24 Coyotes. Again they need to make up 90 net goals to even reach 23-24 Arizona's goal differential. They'll need to have some young guys other than Bedard take huge steps because otherwise most of their offseason is adding rough equivalents to the vets that all the other bottom half of the league teams other than San Jose already had on their rosters.

I gotta admit I'm not really sure why you're so jealous of Chicago essentially just adding their own versions of the guys we already have or recently had. They got their own equivalents to guys like Monahan, Toffoli, Gallagher, Dvorak, Dadonov, Hoffman, Pearson, Armia, Savard, and Edmundson. It makes sense for them in their situation, but we should know as well as anyone that having a lineup full of OK mediocre NHLers and a couple promising 21 year olds doesn't generate an immediate huge jump in the standings. It's still a good offseason for them but we didn't need to sign all those guys because we already have our own mediocre veterans in place.

I would have liked to take a bigger step this year too but it is what it is. If Marchessault is getting 5 years what are you realistically going to do? Zucker, Teravainen, or Perron would have been good options for us and I would have liked that Sean Walker contract too, but those are pretty marginal impact players. The summer's also not over and we'll absolutely be adding at least one more forward via trade or by signing Tarasenko/Sprong.

Also to be clear I'm sending big messages because I'm in and out of meetings today at work so I have to keep changing tabs, not trying to send huge messages about this topic on purpose.
Your second to last paragraph tells me you pretty much agree with my premise, but you ignore the dozen of great signings theres been in the league in the last two days. Carrick, Girgensons, Walker, Trenin, etc.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Your second to last paragraph tells me you pretty much agree with my premise, but you ignore the dozen of great signings theres been in the league in the last two days. Carrick, Girgensons, Walker, Trenin, etc.
Lol wut?

Those are "great" signings to you?

Will be fascinating to see how well that take holds up 12 months from now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You mention Terevainen/Bertuzzi but they wouldn't sign here to play bottom 6. I agree we should have signed a 4th liner, but that's not going to make or break between being a bottom 2 team according to you and sizeable progression.

He's going to Laval.

It's funny having a whole two seasons of people saying we are playing way above our weight class and keeping so many games close which will cost the tank, but now all of a sudden we are guaranteed to get pumped every game with the same team. The bump from a bottom 5 team to a team competing for the wild card will come from natural progression from our young top guys, not by adding bottom 6 forwards.
Every team got better and we didn't, hwo do you figure we dont get dunked on?

TT and Bertuzzi are mid 6 forwards, I'm sure they would've agreed to sign here for similar money, at the end of the day though, TT wasn't a target I was just giving it as an example as a counter point to the "no UFA wants to sign here" bs.

Lol wut?

Those are "great" signings to you?

Will be fascinating to see how well that take holds up 12 months from now.
Yes, especially a guy say like Trenin, young, cheap and good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad