HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Slap in the face & kick to the balls contract if I ever saw one!!

Sign him up…
IMG_2876.jpeg

Git’r done!!

Reactions: the valiant effort

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Looks like an elaborate cap circumvention method. Low AAV contract, front loaded with bonuses. In the somewhat unlikely event that he is still a productive player 2-3 years into the contract, they can buy out whatever amount is left and suffer a very small cap hit, allowing the player to sign elsewhere for true value (wouldn’t be surprised if they had a handshake deal to that effect).
If he is not, he can ride it out on the 4th line for league minimum or LTIR.

Can’t see any other reason for Stamkos to consider this offer.

Reactions: Paddyjack

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's downright insulting to your captain and franchise legend.

I understand the reasoning. He's 34. He's not playing to age 42, which means he's probably getting at least $3m per year for 4 years in retirement.

It's $24m over 8 years, but he's still a good player. I can easily see a team signing him to $8.5m x 4, which is $34m. He's earned $116m already, though.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Trouba is a f***ing tire fire defensively now. The only thing he really has going for him is the nastiness. That head hunting bastard is severely overpaid. Looks like the Rangers would eat around 2.5 million of his salary. My guess is the Wings want him to protect and partner with Edvinsson.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I understand the reasoning. He's 34. He's not playing to age 42, which means he's probably getting at least $3m per year for 4 years in retirement.

It's $24m over 8 years, but he's still a good player. I can easily see a team signing him to $8.5m x 4, which is $34m. He's earned $116m already, though.
I get the reasoning too, but that’s still crazy insulting. Like you said, something like 8x4 and then maybe dropping it to 3x2 depending on how he plays at that time would make more sense.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I like Stamkos, but I think he's going to Detroit, Yzerman connection. Montreal will start signing expensive STAR players next Season.
Gorton laid it out in plain English we are not signing any of these old soon to be farts.
We already have too many we have to divest ourselves of.
With so many players all ready under contract the best we can hope for is some serious re-enforcement for our bottom six and PK.
I'm really not sure what we can do higher up short term.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Gorton laid it out in plain English we are not signing any of these old soon to be farts.
We already have too many we have to divest ourselves of.
With so many players all ready under contract the best we can hope for is some serious re-enforcement for our bottom six and PK.
I'm really not sure what we can do higher up short term.
He said they’re not interested in signing older players to long term contracts 2-3 yr deal isn’t long term

Reactions: Archijerej

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He said they’re not interested in signing older players to long term contracts 2-3 yr deal isn’t long term
True but the interesting ones want term. That's why I mentioned I have no idea what they can do short term.
This is not like in previous years there is no longer a stagnant Cap. Players have no reason to accept short term anymore.
They've made their pitch and they are waiting to see if the players they've contacted "Think the same way" is what he said.
I'm not holding my breath I can tell you that.

f*** didn't the Wings learn anything with Petry? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Trouba is a f***ing tire fire defensively now. The only thing he really has going for him is the nastiness. That head hunting bastard is severely overpaid. Looks like the Rangers would eat around 2.5 million of his salary. My guess is the Wings want him to protect and partner with Edvinsson.
Does he protect his teammates?

Doesn't the contract end if he retires?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Trade McDonaugh only to reacquire him 2 years later.
Sign Sergachev only to trade him 2 years later

Bizarre stuff in tampa

Team is circling the drain

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Is that a good return for Sergachev?
Pretty solid when looking at the full context...

- Sergachev return from major injury season underwhelming
- only RFA controlled cap hit coming back
- highly rated C prospect coming off a strong D1 season

Bolts gave up by far the best asset, but Moser is solid & Geekie has good upside & great ceiling. In many ways, Utah is taking on bigger gamble here imo

Given their roster situation, the deal makes a lot of sense & I wouldn't be surprised to see them leverage the cap space and futures they got in this & the Jeannot deal to make another 1-2 "win now" moves (Stamkos & ?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad