HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Giving that contract to a 31 year old goalie with injury concerns was never a good idea.

26-34 is where you get the value, not 31-39. We predictably got 2 good years out of that 8 year deal.
You can’t just look at it in a vacuum. Price’s numbers dropped when the team blew up. The year before he was a perpetual Vezina candidate. It’s not coincidence that his numbers dove under those terrible clubs. And once we got him some protection in the crease, we went to the cup final.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You can’t just look at it in a vacuum. Price’s numbers dropped when the team blew up. The year before he was a perpetual Vezina candidate. It’s not coincidence that his numbers dove under those terrible clubs. And once we got him some protection in the crease, we went to the cup final.
Agreed. Saros is not close to Price level.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He was a 31 year old goalie with injury concerns and played something like 120 games under that contract.

It was inexcusable at the time and even more so with hindsight

Reactions: Wats and ReHabs

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Two, Stars released the official press release for their Suter buyout as well.

:huh: I thought teams couldn't do post-Cup marauding anymore and had to wait for July 1st?
There is unofficial talks between agents and teams. That is why right when free agency opens there are signings immediately every year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He was a 31 year old goalie with injury concerns and played something like 120 games under that contract.

It was inexcusable at the time and even more so with hindsight
He was a perpetual vezina contender coming into the 17-18 season.

What's inexcusable is putting an AHL team in front of a HOF goalie who plays his best in the playoffs.

Sure. Which makes the premium put on price all the more silly.
On this I agree.

Why pay a big contract to him and then blow up the team? But those are two different things and speaks to management's lack of ability... not Price's. And it goes for ANY superstar player. Brutal mismangement and lack of direction.

I will go to my grave believing that we would've won at least one cup if we'd gotten a competent GM in 2013. We were missing a few pieces but the core for a winner was there. And within four years that young core was dismantled and ruined.

THAT is inexusable.

No biggie paying for a late 20s goalie if you surround him well. Soros isn't Price so I wouldn't pay the same premium. But they have to look at their club and realistically think if they can win a cup in a shorter window. If not, they should deal him and cultivate Askarov. I'm not familiar enough with Nashville right now to say either way. But maybe it's part of a strategy to win now. Maybe they add Marner for example... then it starts to make more sense if they think he can help their offense. But they'll need more than him.

It's all about direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: donghabs98

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Leafs are potentially looking to give Marner an extension?

Now that is gonna make for some fun summer time reading on the Leafs board, especially
if they can't/don't deal him.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad