HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition (Mod Warning #2635)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The reason the Habs passed on Michkov is they didn't rate his upside more than his downside and had Reinbacher ranked ahead of him. That's literally what they said: Reinbacher was their unanimous pick. The speculation about Michkov choosing his destination is BS and not worth acknowledging. Prospects meet with teams all the time, Levshunov met with Chicago many teams last sesaon for instance, it's only Michkov's meetings that are suddenly conspiratorial? Bullllshit.
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. Personally, I'd rather have passed on Michkov because it was his choice, rather than ours. Right now, with Michkov looking like a star in the making and Reinbacher out for the year, our choice feels like salt in the wound.

And yeah, I agree we should live in the now and root for our guy, but I'm still asking myself why I didn't invest in Apple and why I married Cindy instead of Deirdre. Give me time...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's not bad for a number 1 goalie, the issue for me is more that he's never really been one before. It's a lot of money for a guy who never started more than half the games in a season.
Yup he's heading into uncharted waters. Everything is different both mentally and physically.
The odds of picking up an injury increase also. Particularly when you sit out during camp. :sarcasm:
Not that I'm wishing for anything bad to happen to a Bruin.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. Personally, I'd rather have passed on Michkov because it was his choice, rather than ours. Right now, with Michkov looking like a star in the making and Reinbacher out for the year, our choice feels like salt in the wound.
It was always a choice and at 5OA we had a tough one. Michkov had downsides which we all knew and acknowledged, even those of us who were Michkovites pre-draft. (Henceforth referred to as the Reds)

If Michkov burns the league then the teams picking 2-6 also will feel the burn to various degrees. This is what the “Whites” (the anti-Michkov contingent who were opposed to the Reds) insisted was evidence of Michkov being perceived by the professionals as less than the hype. I accept their argument on its merits.

If Michkov burns the league, he’ll have proven a lot of doubters wrong across number teams. I don’t think we will feel the burn particularly harshly other than from ourselves. Hopefully — in case this is how it turns out — by then the Whites will follow historical precedent and accept their defeat.

But there’s a long way to go and much hockey to be played. Reinbacher’s injury sucks but on the aggregate there was no way every one of our top picks hits and sustains their potential.

The odds were always that something would go wrong with one or two of the gem rebuild era prospects. Hopefully it doesn’t go too wrong with Reinbacher.

And yeah, I agree we should live in the now and root for our guy, but I'm still asking myself why I didn't invest in Apple and why I married Cindy instead of Deirdre. Give me time...
Take all the time you need. I’ll never live down my own stock market mistakes — when the penny stock at $0.50 a share shoots up to $12 a share, just sell. Just sell. Don’t get greedy. Or else you’ll have Mrs. Rehabs reminding you of it for the rest of time.

Ouh! German chick. Reminds me of one I went out with. Thing though, she always rated me in bed on a scale of ten and always gave me bad grades, until i tried the backdoor. Then she was screaming all "NINE NINE NINE". 9 out of 10 can't be that bad, right?
Your post is hilarious because Deirdre is like the most Irish name ever

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Guys, quick question for a pool....who will finish with more points:
Habs
Sabres
Kraken.

Thanks.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It was always a choice and at 5OA we had a tough one. Michkov had downsides which we all knew and acknowledged, even those of us who were Michkovites pre-draft. (Henceforth referred to as the Reds)

If Michkov burns the league then the teams picking 2-6 also will feel the burn to various degrees. This is what the “Whites” (the anti-Michkov contingent who were opposed to the Reds) insisted was evidence of Michkov being perceived by the professionals as less than the hype. I accept their argument on its merits.

If Michkov burns the league, he’ll have proven a lot of doubters wrong across number teams. I don’t think we will feel the burn particularly harshly other than from ourselves. Hopefully — in case this is how it turns out — by then the Whites will follow historical precedent and accept their defeat.

But there’s a long way to go and much hockey to be played. Reinbacher’s injury sucks but on the aggregate there was no way every one of our top picks hits and sustains their potential.

The odds were always that something would go wrong with one or two of the gem rebuild era prospects. Hopefully it doesn’t go too wrong with Reinbacher.

Take all the time you need. I’ll never live down my own stock market mistakes — when the penny stock at $0.50 a share shoots up to $12 a share, just sell. Just sell. Don’t get greedy. Or else you’ll have Mrs. Rehabs reminding you of it for the rest of time.

Your post is hilarious because Deirdre is like the most Irish name ever
Again it depens what you mean by burning the league.

If Michkov finishes the year with 40 goals and 90 points +20 and lead the Flyers to the playoffs then yeah it will feel bad. If Michkov finish the year with 25 goals and 65 points -35 and the Flyers loses more games than last year then yeah there will be lot of hot takes by fans but it will not prove anything for now and i doubt a NHL caliber GM will feel burn by that yet.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I didn't catch the second game but Lindsey looked Ruffled in that first one.
Strange hiring IMO 'course I would be well placed to insist retreads don't work. :help:
It's more than a strange hiring after what happened to NJ last year a team very similar to Buffalo. They should have done like NJ. Stay far away from Ruff and go get a vet goalie.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I didn't catch the second game but Lindsey looked Ruffled in that first one.
Strange hiring IMO 'course I would be well placed to insist retreads don't work. :help:

Ruff isn't your typical rethread though. He spent what? 17 years in Buffalo? You don't last that long without some major attributes.

Let's see how the season goes before extrapolating on two games played on the other side of the planet.

Reactions: zeeto

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ruff isn't your typical rethread though. He spent what? 17 years in Buffalo? You don't last that long without some major attributes.

Let's see how the season goes before extrapolating on two games played on the other side of the planet.
He did in the deadpuck era with Hasek and Miller as a main goalies. In his last 14 years as a head coach after reaching the semis in 2007 he missed the playoffs 7 times and was fired twice. So he made the playoffs only 5 times in 14 years and went to the 2nd round only twice. And he coached some really good teams in those 14 years. I'll stop there or i'll be accussed of agism again ....

• Wow
Reactions: morhilane

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Guys, quick question for a pool....who will finish with more points:
Habs
Sabres
Kraken.

Thanks.
Kraken, just because two years ago with about the same roster minus Stephenson and Montour. Beniers might bounce back too.

Sabres are disqualified from consideration because of the chronic underachieving, and Habs can’t compete with that D. G’s also unsure.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad