Waived: [DET] Sheldon Dries, Justin Holl, William Lagesson, Brogan Rafferty, and Joe Snively waived by the Red Wings (cleared)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean, this just isn’t true. Holl isn’t an NHL level player, or he wouldn’t have cleared waivers.
Being an NHL level player has nothing to do with Holl being waived and/or clearing. There are players far worse than Holl on NHL rosters all around the league. They just aren't signed to $3.4M contracts.

If Dan Petry hadn't won a World Series with the Tigers in 1984, Holl would not have been waived today.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Somewhere in Deutschland, Sheldon Keefe is marching up to wherever the Devils front office is staying...with bad intentions. :laugh:

Sucks for Holl that he's going to get Wade Reddened (at a much lesser scale). It's an absurd contract, but i think he's still a better defenceman (and a coveted big defensive RHD even) than a lot of guys who are going to stick on rosters instead of him because they're cheaper.

I'd be perfectly fine with Holl as my #6/7D. I think a lot of teams should be. But no doubt he's going to wash out of the league because ain't nobody wants to pay $3.4M for that with term remaining.

Unless someone like San Jose steps up because their RHD depth is that bad right now. But even that doesn't seem likely. I'm sure they'd rather get a draft pick for taking him, rather than doing the favour for free. And i'm sure those discussions already came up before they ultimately did the Walman salary dump instead.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I still cannot fathom what Yzerman was thinking with Holl (or Petry for that matter).

Far from the first GM to fall for big and skates good. Basically fake tits for RH defenseman.

I'm going to come across as a Holl hater here and it's because I am. Justin Holl has never been a NHL caliber dman for more than a week or two at a time. He was terrible with the Leafs, constantly made just ridiculous decisions under pressure. I firmly believe you could throw a rock at any NHL arena and hit 3 better defenseman than him. He sucks.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Even with Johansson, unless 1 of them plays play rd, it shouldnt affect holl's spot in the lineup. Even if 1 plays rd, why wouldnt he be the #7.
Johansson frequently plays RD, and they will play Gustafsson on the right as well. If they didn't believe in Johansson he'd be waived and Holl would be the #7.

If that was the case, Detroit would have traded him not eaten over 2M because literally no one wants him. At least not at 3.4M.

It's okay to admit Yzerman messed up here. He took a gamble on a "change of scenery" that didn't work.
The contract is why he's not traded but it's not why he's waived. Again, if Johansson was stinking up the place (which is still possible down the line) and/or there was an injury of any kind they'd have been perfectly fine with keeping Holl around as the #6/7.

Reactions: biturbo19

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I still cannot fathom what Yzerman was thinking with Holl (or Petry for that matter).
Because you still have to occupy your roster with experienced hockey players as you patiently develop your prospects. Development is not linear and Yzerman has always said that the younger player must surpass the veteran and that he is more than willing to waive a vet if the prospect is ready to help the team.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
imagine playing highest level of hockey since your 16 , taking nhl 90mph shots off the ankles/shins for 10 years . getting cross checked / slashed , playing 82 a year . i think alot of guys hit 30 and theyre so banged up and run down they cant produce at 100% anymore . but gms get fooled judging them by what they used to be capable of and get stung on cap hits

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Johansson frequently plays RD, and they will play Gustafsson on the right as well. If they didn't believe in Johansson he'd be waived and Holl would be the #7.

The contract is why he's not traded but it's not why he's waived. Again, if Johansson was stinking up the place (which is still possible down the line) and/or there was an injury of any kind they'd have been perfectly fine with keeping Holl around as the #6/7.
Even if Johansson and Gus play RD, no team ever carries 5 LHD and only 2 RHD if they have a perfectly good albeit overpaid 3rd RHD. They would then carry 8 D if they really wanted to have 5 LHD.

When has a team ever carried 5 LHD and 2 RHD when they have another NHL caliber non waiver exempt RHD in the system? Definitely not in the last 10-20 years because even if the LHD can play RD, theres significant disadvantages to it defensively that in todays day and age is not a risk teams willingly take with other options available.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Time to trigger some ppl

‪Yzerman is just Jim Benning with a HHOF playing career. Was part of an incredible organization because of other ppl’s work and now is getting exposed ‬when trying to build a team from ground up

He's also a terrible negotiator who benefitted from Florida's tax rules. As evidence by the massive overpayments he gave Larkin/Seider/Raymond.

Wait... f***.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad