Waived: [TOR] Matt Murray and Marshall Rifai waived by the Maple Leafs (cleared)

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Is Matt Murray ever going to fully recover from his injury?

He's been fully healthy in camp/pre-season games as far as we've heard.

This seems more like "recovering" in terms of getting his game back after not playing last year, so he would prefer to play in the AHL in Toronto then go sit on a bench or in the pressbox with an NHL team.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Along with a first round pick
Goalie depth is a pretty critical in the NHL. If there are any teams with a little uncertainty in the crease, $900,000 for a 30 year old, former #1, 2 time cup winner, who had surgery, is rested etc... is a damn interesting risk. Worst case is a veteran depth in the AHL. I think he doesnt clear. But we will see.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Goalie depth is a pretty critical in the NHL. If there are any teams with a little uncertainty in the crease, $900,000 for a 30 year old, former #1, 2 time cup winner, who had surgery, is rested etc... is a damn interesting risk. Worst case is a veteran depth in the AHL. I think he doesnt clear. But we will see.
He can't be "interesting AHL depth" for a team to claim him. If he's claimed he needs to be on the NHL roster.

With his injury history no team can count on him as a backup and are teams really going to claim him and then keep 3 goalies around on the off chance he can actually stay healthy?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He can't be "interesting AHL depth" for a team to claim him. If he's claimed he needs to be on the NHL roster.

With his injury history no team can count on him as a backup and are teams really going to claim him and then keep 3 goalies around on the off chance he can actually stay healthy?
Yea, they can pick him up give carry him on his roster, play him, see how he does and then try to slip him through if it doesnt work out. Im thinking teams with injuries now. Maybe Vancouver?

Worst case he is picked up and hes off your roster, or you get a veteran AHL option and good emergency option.

I havent looked at other rosters but considering how bad our #1 situation has been in the past and how bad our backup was in the past... there has to be teams jumping on this. Goalie depth is hard to come by. Every team wants a 6'5 goalie.

Ill be shocked if he clears. Though I want to see him get a chance in the NHL. Seems like a good guy. I think the added 20lbs will help him too, he looked fit and healthy in the weight training photos posted by the Team.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Yea, they can pick him up give carry him on his roster, play him, see how he does and then try to slip him through if it doesnt work out. Im thinking teams with injuries now. Maybe Vancouver?

Worst case he is picked up and hes off your roster, or you get a veteran AHL option and good emergency option.

I havent looked at other rosters but considering how bad our #1 situation has been in the past and how bad our backup was in the past... there has to be teams jumping on this. Goalie depth is hard to come by. Every team wants a 6'5 goalie.

Ill be shocked if he clears. Though I want to see him get a chance in the NHL. Seems like a good guy. I think the added 20lbs will help him too, he looked fit and healthy in the weight training photos posted by the Team.
I completely disagree, why claim him just to waive him again. He hasn't played meaningful hockey in 1.5 years. Murray needs to prove he can still play, and stay healthy. That only happens in the AHL because no team is giving him a runway to start right now at the NHL level.

If he goes down, stays healthy, plays well and gets called up, at that point there's no way he clears waivers to go back down. But teams arent out here looking to sabotage players careers. Everyone knows, Murray included, that he needs to prove himself by playing and staying healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad