HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024-2025 season

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
One does not need to smear a teenager to justify picking another teenager with the 5OA?

What if the reason the Habs picks Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, and Demidov was because they preferred them to alternatives available at that time? Could that be something? Or did Slafkovsky conspire to be picked by the Habs, Reinbacher commit skullduggery to induce his draft order, and Demidov straight up hypnotise teams pickding 2-4 in order to ensure his landing on the Habs?

Did Lane Hutson threaten other teams with a sit-out in order to secure his spot to the Habs?

I'm just asking questions... maybe in some years we'll know the "REAL" reason... much to think about...

By dimwit liars who have zero evidence, yes.

Players don't choose where they're drafted. That's why it's a draft. That's why the worst team picks the best prospect. You think any teenager wants to play in Winnipeg or Buffalo instead of New York or Florida? You think Adam Fantilli wanted to play in Columbus instead of Anaheim?
Maybe we will, maybe we won't. At the end of the day, it no longer matters. Michkov is an immensely talented prospect. But, he is not our prospect.

I like the build of our team, but again, only time will tell if we made all the right calls over the past 3 drafts.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No it hasn't. Nothing has been reported.

Nobody has proven or justified or provided evidence of "Michkov made sure to end up in Philly". Praising Philly for their ability to deal with KHL or Russian players is a completely different topic. This is something the Habs have to improve too, because Russian players are undervalued in the NHL. But it has nothing to do with Michkov's so-called "preferences" -- Michkov could've been picked by Arizona and he would've had no way to prevent it. Just like Tom Brady was drafted by the Expos.

Sure -- the Habs preferred Reinbacher and therefore picked him. No mystery, no geopolitics, no psychoanalysis necessary.

Maybe other teams would have preferred Reinbacher at 5OA as well, but we'll never know because it was the Habs who picked Reinbacher over Michkov. That's what happened.
I think Arizona not taking Michkov even as trade bait is pretty telling of what was happening with him. He was treating draft interviews like he was a UFA. Teams were seeing something they didn’t like and we weren’t the only team seeing it.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Maybe we will, maybe we won't. At the end of the day, it no longer matters. Michkov is an immensely talented prospect. But, he is not our prospect.

I like the build of our team, but again, only time will tell if we made all the right calls over the past 3 drafts.
Agreed. However, I'm always going to push back on the smears against the character of otherwise innocent teenagers. The things said about Michkov and his family, while he was grieving his father's death no less, was beneath contempt.

I think Arizona not taking Michkov even as trade bait is pretty telling of what was happening with him. He was treating draft interviews like he was a UFA. Teams were seeing something they didn’t like and we weren’t the only team seeing it.
Arizona had Cooley and Keller in their organization, Michkov was not a fit for them whatsoever. I don't think we need to speculate on or fabricate things like "he was treating draft interviews like he was a UFA". My feeling is... what's the point?

Why can't we accept that the Habs preferred Reinbacher? Are we meant to be so down on our own prospect that the only reason we can think he was picked was because the other guy was a piece of shit? Does Reinbacher not have virtues and values of his own? It doesn't add up.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
No it hasn't. Nothing has been reported.
Yes, reported by Friedman on his own podcast more than once.

Now you can choose to refute his claims all you want, I don't know what to tell you...

And anyway, quite frankly, I don't even mind Michkov wanting to go to a specific team. Like Friedman said, Philly has a skill when it comes to dealing with Russians. I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that it could've swayed in their favor as the environment could provide a sense of safety for the kid that leaves his home country under the current tense climate. And I have a lot more respect for a player who chooses where he wants to go prior to the draft than act like the Gauthiers and McGroartys of this World and screw their team over and put everyone in a shitty situation.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So what? I presume he met with a lot of teams. Doesn't mean anything. He could have told them he wouldn't sign with them.
73716995.jpg

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
European players don't dream about winning the cup growing up because games aren't accessible. No five year old German is watching the NHL at 3AM. They care about national team and money. Edmonton gave money. Tons of it.

I think Mcdavid walks if they miss playoffs this year.
Naah, don't know about German kids but among Swedes, NHL and Stanley Cup is #1 without a doubt. SEL and the national team is a stepping stone on the way, best on best tournaments such as Olympics or World Cup matters but I believe most kids recognize that a SC is the biggest challange and trophy in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad