Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Talk about strawman. The invisible and mysterious deterrent. Right, because no one will take a run at Stone when Boro is in the lineup.

Obviously i triggered to you to the point that you couldnt even absorb what i was saying.

We dont need them as a deterrent, we need them so the team doesnt back down, isnt pushed around left unable to respond.

I'm not swaying we need Boro and Neil, we may very well have enough character to play and succeed without them. But that is the reason why they are used, NOT AS A DETERRENT which is the strawman you are knocking down.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm sure fighting won't be as common in the playoffs. Playing sound defensive hockey and giving up little scoring chances should be the main priority

Geez ... I've been hearing this every yr for over a decade & the same thing happens every yr & there are fights, lots of them & some of them change series.

Pretty much the best stretch of playoff hockey for the Sens ever?

Yes, I'm sure the Sedins situation will happen should Marchand do that to Karlsson....strawman at its finest.

Carkner setting the tone in the Rangers series was great, we still lost. And that was Brian ****ing Boyle, you don't need a guy like Boro to take care of business in the playoffs, though I'm more than happy to have him should we need him.

Pageau/Smith/Brassard/Phaneuf/Methot/Burrows/Stalberg/Pyatt/Wingles/Pyatt/Stone, all these guys are willing to go to the trenches, they are all willing to take and give a hit for the team. We aren't a team full of pansies, we don't need a saviour to come to our rescue to save us from big bad Shawn Thornton or Matt Martin, or when we inevitely have to play the Rangers/Pens/Caps/Isles, etc. Who exactly is it that they have that we need to dress someone to patrol the ice?

The NHL has changed, this isn't 2003.

Jacques Martin was a great regular season coach which is why they made the playoffs so often but once there Quinn ate his lunch & Jacques had the most disappointing playoff rounds every time they met which eventually ended his time here. He couldn't take the team past the first rd. Jacques because of his "ignore the fighting" philosophy could never get by the stinking Leafs & he hasn't done well as a head coach since.

No, what happened to the Sedins will not happen to Karlsson because we finally have a team of players who are willing to drop the gloves & go at it if necessary & you made my point with all the guys you mentioned. The only difference is that I would also have Boro & maybe Neil in the lineup which the "hate Boro & Neil" committee on here is constantly against. Furthermore, while so many all yr were pushing for more skill in the lineup like Varone or Dushene, the GM & coach actually went the way I wanted the team to go & that was add more sandpaper which most were against.

Hockey is changing & eventually fighting could possibly be on the outs which people having been saying for a while. But we are still seeing lots of cheap shots especially at playoff time & fighting isn't out just yet. I bet there will be lots of very hard hits which will lead to fighting in this yr's playoffs especially if Ottawa & Montreal meet. Montreal has toughened up at the deadline & it's not one guy it could be anyone who decides to take a cheap shot to take out a player & give them an advantage. Ottawa may have lost the rd with the Rangers but most Sens fans were still proud of their team & how they responded unlike those series with the Leafs or that rd with the Habs under Cameron. I don't think anyone wants to see their team pushed around & now we finally have a team again that won't back down & I for one prefer that than a team where a player has to look back to the coach to get his permission to fight.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I seriously doubt whoever we dress will deter those type of players from targeting anyone on our team. It's their game plan to do so. They would just entice someone to take a penalty anyways.

I mean we had Neil dressed in Game 1 of that Rangers series and that didn't deter Boyle from face washing Karlsson. Having the ability to play tough playoff hockey and grind against the boards and finish every check has nothing to do with having 1 dimensional players on the ice. Boro isn't the worst player in the NHL and I actually think he has played quite well in his role as the 6th D this season but Claesson is simply better at hockey and should be in the lineup over him.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Geez ... I've been hearing this every yr for over a decade & the same thing happens every yr & there are fights, lots of them & some of them change series.

Jacques Martin was a great regular season coach which is why they made the playoffs so often but once there Quinn ate his lunch & Jacques had the most disappointing playoff rounds every time they met which eventually ended his time here. He couldn't take the team past the first rd. Jacques because of his "ignore the fighting" philosophy could never get by the stinking Leafs & he hasn't done well as a head coach since.

No, what happened to the Sedins will not happen to Karlsson because we finally have a team of players who are willing to drop the gloves & go at it if necessary & you made my point with all the guys you mentioned. The only difference is that I would also have Boro & maybe Neil in the lineup which the "hate Boro & Neil" committee on here is constantly against. Furthermore, while so many all yr were pushing for more skill in the lineup like Varone or Dushene, the GM & coach actually went the way I wanted the team to go & that was add more sandpaper which most were against.

Hockey is changing & eventually fighting could possibly be on the outs which people having been saying for a while. But we are still seeing lots of cheap shots especially at playoff time & fighting isn't out just yet. I bet there will be lots of very hard hits which will lead to fighting in this yr's playoffs especially if Ottawa & Montreal meet. Montreal has toughened up at the deadline & it's not one guy it could be anyone who decides to take a cheap shot to take out a player & give them an advantage. Ottawa may have lost the rd with the Rangers but most Sens fans were still proud of their team & how they responded unlike those series with the Leafs or that rd with the Habs under Cameron. I don't think anyone wants to see their team pushed around & now we finally have a team again that won't back down & I for one prefer that than a team where a player has to look back to the coach to get his permission to fight.

I think it's great that we added sandpaper to the team heading into the playoffs however the players we added can also score goals. When you're campaigning for 1 dimensional players in the likes of Boro and Neil how does that help our chances exactly? Neil will see extremely limited ice time. Boro won't deter anything on ice.

I'm sure if we are leading in a game the entire game plan of the opposition would shift from "targeting" a player to trying to score/tie the game. You win games by directly scoring more goals not by outhitting the opposition.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
My bet is that both guys will play at times this post-season, if we make it.

Boucher likes both guys it seems, and depending on the flow/mood of a series, it's reasonable to think he will play around a bit with his bottom pairing. Also, injuries, they are inevitable and I could see both Boro and Fred playing at the same time as a result.

Boro vs Fred is not a black and white argument when it comes to how the games end up being played. On paper though, Fred has more upside and offers more diverse skills than Boro.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Claesson should definitely be a main stay on our bottom pair. I'm more than happy to have Boro as the 7th and sub him in when needed.

Boro definitely brings an element none of our other D do, but other than that element he doesn't bring much.

Yup.

I have been one of the BIGGEST critics of Boro but he does provide an element to this team that could somewhat be necessary and Boucher really seems to have reeled him in.

Say for example whoever we face round 1 goons it on EK in game 2. We send them Boro game 3 and it'll restore balance.

I didn't care much for Carkner but him jumping Boyle in game 2 was absolutely instrumental in us almost winning the series.

However, 90% of the time Claesson should start over him. Only when we need to send a message should we play Boro to run havoc everywhere.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

We came within a goal of beating the Stanley Cup Champions in the conference finals with Jacques Martin.

We did this in a world where Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, New York, New Jersey and others could simply buy veteran talent and experience and outspend us by huge margins. People whine about 65M vs 73M today but imagine 20-30M vs 53M.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's not the fights, its the punishing hits. It's the left wing lock and the other team's RW's having to alter their behaviour when Boro is on the ice because he makes them avoid being crushed. It's one of many things this team does to get the opposite team off their game plan.

You may not put stock much stock in it, but guys only need to take one or two big hits before they start incorporating avoiding the hits into their game.

The fighting stuff is secondary and far less important. The standing up for each other is great, but this isn't a Boro thing we have a whole team of guys that do it for each other. But it's the pounding on the left side as part of our forecheck and active defence where Boro's strength as a player really shines. No one else on the team hits with as much power and frequency as Boro.

Yeah he misses sometimes, but more often he connects, and that's part of the system as the forward is back behind to cover just so born can wreak havoc.

The Professional

Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
It's not the fights, its the punishing hits. It's the left wing lock and the other team's RW's having to alter their behaviour when Boro is on the ice because he makes them avoid being crushed. It's one of many things this team does to get the opposite team off their game plan.

You may not put stock much stock in it, but guys only need to take one or two big hits before they start incorporating avoiding the hits into their game.

The fighting stuff is secondary and far less important. The standing up for each other is great, but this isn't a Boro thing we have a whole team of guys that do it for each other. But it's the pounding on the left side as part of our forecheck and active defence where Boro's strength as a player really shines. No one else on the team hits with as much power and frequency as Boro.

Yeah he misses sometimes, but more often he connects, and that's part of the system as the forward is back behind to cover just so born can wreak havoc.

But, but, but... hitting and physical play is useless! Something something corsi! Something something speed & skill... :sarcasm:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

Yup, fighting out of the playoffs isn't going to happen when so much is on the line and emotions are high. Just have to look back at the line brawls with Montreal to see that a grinding game is still required. As for the NYR series, EK was actually able to play his game after Boyle was filled in with his own share of sucker punches. We lost that series not because we gooned it up that one game, we lost it because we were up against a deeper, better team. At least our stars weren't pushed around and embarassed.

I'm not saying play Neil for his 5 min TOI over Stahlberg. I'm saying keep Borowiecki in on tone setting games is going to be needed. And he plays a solid 10min with PK ability. Can't have Marchand running Andy all the series.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

This post sums up my feelings pretty well. It's the fact the left D are standing up the wingers at the blueline and not allowing them to set up is what's ticking them off so much. It's not the fighting and being a "deterrent", it's the ability to play Boucher's plan so well. He leads the league in hits because he is contributing to a big part of the Sens success. That's why Boucher likes him and I'll bet anything he is a favourite amongst the players.

Heard a great line during last night's broadcast, "Boro treats his body like a rented car", thought that was great.

It's why I get my back up when folks say they are playing a 1-3-1 or "clogging up the neutral zone". No they're not, they're using their left D to make life miserable for the other team. Boro is a great #6 Dman.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Sounds like a waste of time to me, but you keep at it little buddy! :)

You're right. We wouldn't want to be a contender now. We want heart and soul guys. The kind that crush your heart and kill your soul with their not-Stanley-Cup-winning-ways.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Obviously i triggered to you to the point that you couldnt even absorb what i was saying.

We dont need them as a deterrent, we need them so the team doesnt back down, isnt pushed around left unable to respond.

I'm not swaying we need Boro and Neil, we may very well have enough character to play and succeed without them. But that is the reason why they are used, NOT AS A DETERRENT which is the strawman you are knocking down.

Ok. I misread that part, but you do realize that we do have enough in the lineup currently without Neil and Boro to actually do what you suggest?

This post sums up my feelings pretty well. It's the fact the left D are standing up the wingers at the blueline and not allowing them to set up is what's ticking them off so much. It's not the fighting and being a "deterrent", it's the ability to play Boucher's plan so well. He leads the league in hits because he is contributing to a big part of the Sens success. That's why Boucher likes him and I'll bet anything he is a favourite amongst the players.

Heard a great line during last night's broadcast, "Boro treats his body like a rented car", thought that was great.

It's why I get my back up when folks say they are playing a 1-3-1 or "clogging up the neutral zone". No they're not, they're using their left D to make life miserable for the other team. Boro is a great #6 Dman.

Boro is a great #7 Dman. Claesson has been playing that role for the past week and has been doing as well at stepping as Boro. So your argument kind of fails.

Sounds like a waste of time to me, but you keep at it little buddy! :)

Ah, good all condescending ice-tray. Never change. Although he does make a good point. The teams who are the cream of the crop, seem to have a lack of one dimensional face punchers.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You're right. We wouldn't want to be a contender now. We want heart and soul guys. The kind that crush your heart and kill your soul with their not-Stanley-Cup-winning-ways.

Oh man, but I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do this off season. We have a different make up that doesn't rely on a few big dollar gen talents, so we're not like other contenders, nor will we be.

But we have seen the Bruins do it, and we have seen the Devils do it, and we have even seen NY have success. We have also served up defeats to the best teams in the league this year.

I know that we can get nervous about playoffs, but I'd wager that we are THE team that neither Pits or Washing ton, or any other team in the East wants to meet. Because we just win, and it comes from everywhere.

We have the best shut down line in the NHL, and the best defence man, and one of, if not the best goalie right now. We also have scoring depth that few teams can match and chemistry that most teams wish they had.

This is a scary team, and the contenders of the world would do best to steer clear if they can.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ok. I misread that part, but you do realize that we do have enough in the lineup currently without Neil and Boro to actually do what you suggest?

Boro is a great #7 Dman. Claesson has been playing that role for the past week and has been doing as well at stepping as Boro. So your argument kind of fails.

Ah, good all condescending ice-tray. Never change. Although he does make a good point. The teams who are the cream of the crop, seem to have a lack of one dimensional face punchers.

DUDE!!!!! The smilie face clearly signifies a joke. What's the point of using it if you just choose to ignore it. Jesus....

Boro is hardly a one dimensional face puncher, he's a hard hitting, shot blocking, defensive d man who is a good PK guy as well. He lack in finesse, but he's not a goon.

Rooverick*

Jan 5, 2008
Come playoff time, 65 will have a big bullseye on his back every 2nd night. Game plan will be to knock him into another time zone every chance you get. Yeah, you should definitely let him stand up for himself.

Karlsson plays with Methot, who is more than capable of stepping in where needed.

Rooverick*

Jan 5, 2008
The problem with the Martin teams that faced the Leafs is that he had the nuclear deterrent in Chara but failed to use him.

If Chara pounds the crap out of Roberts, we win at least two of those series.

The present Sens have plenty of players willing and able to drop them if needed, without having to dress Boro or Neil.

Claesson has already shown the ability to step up and hit as part of the Left wing lock. He just doesn't miss as often and can actually contribute points on O.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pittsburgh didn't really need tough guys. You can't hit what you can't catch.

Los Angeles was built on size and toughness, and they got a couple Cups out of it.

Different teams, different strengths, different strategies. There's more than one way to win a Cup.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
:rolleyes: If we're a team that no one wants to meet - it won't be because of 2 guys who would play a combined 15 minutes of the roughly ~290 minutes available every game.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Ok so it's a systems thing. Claesson can also stand up someone at the blue line as well as score goals. Isn't that more valuable than someone that just does the former?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
:rolleyes: If we're a team that no one wants to meet - it won't be because of 2 guys who would play a combined 15 minutes of the roughly ~290 minutes available every game.

You're right, it's like I said, we have a team filled with guys who do their particular jobs very well, and put teams off their games while imposing our game.

You have to at least notice the disconnect between how you view our role players, and how the team, the coaches, and management view them.

They all play important roles, some are more important than others no doubt, but that doesn't mean that the smaller role guys are passengers.

We're not Pittsburg, we're not Washington, so stop trying to mould us into those guys when you picture success. We're us, and we'll gain success by imposing our brand on the league, not the other way around. This has been our growing strength and it's been working.

We've seen plenty of teams have playoff success that aren't boasting a handful of superstars, and we've seen a few lunch pail teams be dominant.

Get on board with what we're doing and stop dreaming about us becoming another team. Personally I think we have what it takes to squeeze Pittsburg or Washington into submission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad