Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Really surprised with how much poise he has with the puck. I thought his points were coming by way of fluke/luck at first, but I'm not so sure anymore.

And he really does seem to play well with Karlsson. He could be there full time next year if Methot gets taken in the expansion, and I'm actually ok with that now. Between him and Chabot, the top 4 would survive imo.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Really surprised with how much poise he has with the puck. I thought his points were coming by way of fluke/luck at first, but I'm not so sure anymore.

And he really does seem to play well with Karlsson. He could be there full time next year if Methot gets taken in the expansion, and I'm actually ok with that now. Between him and Chabot, the top 4 would survive imo.

Freddy has the kind of polish you get from playing 4 years of pro hockey in the AHL (and two in the SHL). He's not afraid to make plays and knows what to do in every situation. The poise that he has is what I would like to see Ceci develop.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Freddy has the kind of polish you get from playing 4 years of pro hockey in the AHL (and two in the SHL). He's not afraid to make plays and knows what to do in every situation. The poise that he has is what I would like to see Ceci develop.

I don't think it's really fair to compare the two of them.

I like what Claesson has brought but I don't think he's had some pretty tough assignments.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I could see Dorion trading Boro at the end of this season for a pick.

He may well lead the league in hits, and he's a good character guy, and that's something some team will be interested in.

You might be right. I made the same assumption years ago with Gryba/Wideman but ended up being wrong there. The team eventually bit the bullet and made the right choice, so maybe they'll do it again?

I think we've reached the same plateau with Boro as Gryba. Gryba had shown himself to be a capable #5-6, but Wideman showed he could be a possible improvement, and, at worst, and adequate replacement. I foersee a similar situation playing out with Claesson. At worst, he can replace what Boro provides, and maybe improve

Maybe after expansion it will be easier to predict.

The problem I still foresee is that I can never seem to come up with a scenario where the team both loses Methot to expansion and decides to part ways with Boro.

For one, I don't see them risking Chabot immediately as a full-time top-4, too much risk. Which means a stop-gap backup plan. In that instance, I just don't see the Senators simultaneously trading Boro in the same off-season as acquiring a temp. Logically, if you're worried about Boro/Claesson in the top-4 as a stop-gap for a struggling Chabot, what player out there is going to be available, cheaply, that is a significant improvement, given that Claesson and Boro are, at least, familiar with the team/system? On top of that, in acquiring that player, you'll also need to part ways with Boro to make room. Doesn't seem like something out management would do.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
man i remember watching AHL games and I swear to God Claesson was a one man show defensively. He would kill off penalties and 5on3s by himself with his stickworking, positioning, shotblocking and physical initiation. He seemed to have lost a step since that season in the AHL (where he led the league in +/- and was killer in 5on5 but i think that was just cause Bingo sucked **** lol

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
There shouldn't be ANY reason as to why Boro should get a spot in the lineup ahead of Freddy

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What's interesting is that it doesn't seem to change if we switch the coach.

So he must be doing something right.

I have no idea what it is.

Maybe he practices really hard.

Maybe Chris Kelly gave him some of the incriminating photographs of management that he has.

It's character. Regardless of coach we have the same culture in this organization. We seems to have a soft spot for guys who are vocal, work hard in practice and give it their all on the ice while being deficient skillwise.

I just don't see the net positive he brings is enough to warrant him being a staple on the team. Perhaps it goes back to my initial point with regards to his "intangibles"

Agreed with your point that he is much more suitable as a 7th defenceman and can be slotted in when needed but he shouldn't be an everyday regular.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I don't think it's really fair to compare the two of them.

I like what Claesson has brought but I don't think he's had some pretty tough assignments.

Claesson having more poise than Ceci isn't affected by their assignments. Both Freddy and Wideman show more confidence when they have the puck, both in the offensive zone and in breakout situations. Ceci often looks tentative.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Claesson having more poise than Ceci isn't affected by their assignments. Both Freddy and Wideman show more confidence when they have the puck, both in the offensive zone and in breakout situations. Ceci often looks tentative.

Ceci is slow to move & slow thinking = turnover machine. IDK if this is just growing pains. IDGAF if Sens drafted him, he should be the one left exposed in upcoming draft IMO.

Claesson - EK
Methot - Wideman
Boro - Phaneuf

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There shouldn't be ANY reason as to why Boro should get a spot in the lineup ahead of Freddy

Boro leads the NHL in hits, he blocks shots & defends his teammates, I don't see Claesson doing any of those things as well & if he were to ever drop his gloves he would get the crap knocked out of him. He is soft as butter & this team now has a reputation of being very hard to play against, Claesson makes this team softer & easy to play against. I just don't see Claesson ahead of Boro on this team. There's your reason & the coach has said it himself on many occasions, he wants his team to be hard to play against & when Boro is on the ice players know it & give up on pucks sooner.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Boro leads the NHL in hits, he blocks shots & defends his teammates, I don't see Claesson doing any of those things as well & if he were to ever drop his gloves he would get the crap knocked out of him. He is soft as butter & this team now has a reputation of being very hard to play against, Claesson makes this team softer & easy to play against. I just don't see Claesson ahead of Boro on this team. There's your reason & the coach has said it himself on many occasions, he wants his team to be hard to play against & when Boro is on the ice players know it & give up on pucks sooner.
'Defending' your teammates doesn't make you a better player. Fact is, Boro provides nothing of value when you're trying to win games.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

Claesson has dropped the gloves more than a few times in Binghamton. He wouldn't have made it as far as he has if he wasn't difficult to play against. The bottom line is that he's the better overall player and if he's playing instead of Boro, he'll help the team win more games. And I've been fine with Boro this year under Guy.

Rooverick*

Jan 5, 2008

Ya Claesson sticks to useless things like getting the puck out of his zone efficiently and getting goals and assists.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013

The choice is not Claesson over Boro, but Claesson over Ceci (who adds no grit & no offense). I agree that Boro is useful & tough to play against. Ceci is not.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The choice is not Claesson over Boro, but Claesson over Ceci (who adds no grit & no offense). I agree that Boro is useful & tough to play against. Ceci is not.

Players are so intimidated by Boro that they just walk around him and take a shot on goal.

The Professional

Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Players are so intimidated by Boro that they just walk around him and take a shot on goal.

LOL, I see that Boro bashing is still trendy.

Boro is very good at playing within his limitations and fits very well in Guy's system, and he does what the coach wants him to do. He leads the league in hits and is a beast to play against in the defensive zone, and as aragorn said earlier, guys around the league know it and they give up on pucks when going up against him in the corners or entering the zone.

The coach loves Boro. He understands the value of the things, ''intangibles'' or not, that he brings to the team every night. He praises him in every interview. And I for one ****ing love it, and I absolutely love that's it's getting the panties in a bunch of all the armchair corsi-loving, let's-have-a-line-up-of-smurfs-that-gets-pushed-around-by-the-entire-league enlightened snobs around here that play too much fantasy league and hate Boro and will **** on him and scapegoat him no matter what he does simply because he's the archetype of the ''gritty'' hard nosed physical d-man, and so, duh, necessarily he's useless and is actually the worst player in the NHL by several metrics (actual quote:laugh:) and is the worst player in Sens history (another actual quote :laugh:).

Keep doing your thing Boro :yo:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I'm more worried about exposing Claesson than Wideman I think. Wideman is pretty one dimensional.

Granted Methot is the #1 worry.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

Boro is very good at playing within his limitations and fits very well in Guy's system, and he does what the coach wants him to do. He leads the league in hits and is a beast to play against in the defensive zone, and as aragorn said earlier, guys around the league know it and they give up on pucks when going up against him in the corners or entering the zone.

The coach loves Boro. He understands the value of the things, ''intangibles'' or not, that he brings to the team every night. He praises him in every interview. And I for one ****ing love it, and I absolutely love that's it's getting the panties in a bunch of all the armchair corsi-loving, let's-have-a-line-up-of-smurfs-that-gets-pushed-around-by-the-entire-league enlightened snobs around here that play too much fantasy league and hate Boro and will **** on him and scapegoat him no matter what he does simply because he's the archetype of the ''gritty'' hard nosed physical d-man, and so, duh, necessarily he's useless and is actually the worst player in the NHL by several metrics (actual quote:laugh:) and is the worst player in Sens history (another actual quote :laugh:).

Boro's been fine this season. Last season, he was abysmal.

Still, Claesson is better and always has been.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

We need Boro even if he is the 7th D. There are always injuries. There could be an incident like when Carkner needed to destroy Boyle.

Boro is cheap to keep on the roster as the 7th D. Especially if Claesson only is making $650K and Wideman is also cheap.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Ceci is slow to move & slow thinking = turnover machine. IDK if this is just growing pains. IDGAF if Sens drafted him, he should be the one left exposed in upcoming draft IMO.

Claesson - EK
Methot - Wideman
Boro - Phaneuf

Chabot, Englund and Jaros in the wings

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Yeah the Boro bashing is bewildering. He's a solid bottom pair guy, and brings an element that nobody else, aside from Phaneuf brings to the Sens defense.

I don't mind him being rotated out because of opposition, but there is a reason Boucher keeps playing him, despite how fun it seems to be for some on here to call him useless.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I feel like claessen is one of the top 6 defencemen currently on the Sens or bingo Sens. In terms of playing hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad