Confirmed with Link: Ottawa signs Fredrik Claesson to a 1 year extension/$650,000

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Has Boro ever won a fight at the NHL level? Seeing all this talk about him sticking up for his teammates but he usually just ends up getting rag dolled by middleweights. His fighting skill seems about on par with the rest of his abilities. Ryan Dzingel looks more fierce than him in a fight.

A healthy Sens line up should never have Boro in it. Claessen is a superior product in every aspect of playing hockey.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Claessen is definitely progressing well. Definitely a good lesson on taking the slow and steady route and how it benefits a young player.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Has Boro ever won a fight at the NHL level? Seeing all this talk about him sticking up for his teammates but he usually just ends up getting rag dolled by middleweights. His fighting skill seems about on par with the rest of his abilities. Ryan Dzingel looks more fierce than him in a fight.

A healthy Sens line up should never have Boro in it. Claessen is a superior product in every aspect of playing hockey.

4 W 4 L and 3 draws this year according to Hockey Fights.

Regardless of if he wins or loses Boro still gives the team momentum from fighting.

God I hate Konopka. He took every fight when the other team needed momentum and almost all his fight hurt our momentum. Boro does not fight like that.

Ottawa's second best fighter is probably Phaneuf after Neil. Not Boro.

Neil is 4-2-1 in 7 fights this year.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Claessen is definitely progressing well. Definitely a good lesson on taking the slow and steady route and how it benefits a young player.

He always looked passable in his call ups but since he got called up this last time the guy looks like a different player. Calm, poised, so confident. He can pass.

The play early in the game where he was coming in on the 2-1 and was the guy going to the net and he did not get the pass at first and then spun around and had a good backhand shot was beauty. Then waiting a second with the puck to get the screen and calmly wristing it top corner? Wow!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Claesson should definitely be a main stay on our bottom pair. I'm more than happy to have Boro as the 7th and sub him in when needed.

Boro definitely brings an element none of our other D do, but other than that element he doesn't bring much.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I like Claesson, but Boro is definitely still a necessity on this team to counter guys like Ott, McLeod, Thornton, Backes, Thorburn, Byfuglien, Lucic...and the list goes on, that we can't have Dzingel taking on. And I'd much rather not lose Phaneuf for 5minutes or have to dress Neil as often.

Especially of note is that our divisional rivals have guys like Shaw, Martin, Kane, and Ott, I want Boro to have to take them out of the game over them running our players.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I like Claesson, but Boro is definitely still a necessity on this team to counter guys like Ott, McLeod, Thornton, Backes, Thorburn, Byfuglien, Lucic...and the list goes on, that we can't have Dzingel taking on. And I'd much rather not lose Phaneuf for 5minutes or have to dress Neil as often.

Just don't fight them...

We have more then enough sandpaper in our lineup.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Just don't fight them...

Look at how Pittsburgh took the brunt end of things from the Jets. Even we lost Stone to them because of their borderline hits. Having Boro run their guys back takes their attention away from our productive guys.

Matt Martin is a guy who's sole M.O. is to throw as many big hits as possible. We can't just let him run around and not fight him.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Claesson, looks like a swedish hillbilly, has really grown on me. I didnt see much special in him at first, but lately he has been looking like he could really grow into a solid role here. But i think i need more time still.

---

I really hate this strawman always put forth that if someone like Neil or Boro aren’t intimidating the other team out of starting stuff, then they aren’t worth it. As if they are Fonzie and don’t need to fight, just their rep provides the deterrent. This is nonsense and is surely the premise responsible for that fundamental misevaluation imo.

Perhaps it’s the infamous McSorley role, where no one will touch Gretzky while he rides shotgun on that line that everyone is thinking of. But that’s not what providing toughness means. Boro and Neil arent there because they are so tough that that they will deter others, but because they will respond.

I don’t see why this is so hard to grasp. We’ve seen so many examples. Look at the 5-0 fight night against the habs. You cant suggest that didn’t give the Sens momentum and confidence. How about the infamous Gratts takedown of Domi. That was a huge turning point for the franchise. Or Carkner in the Rangers series. Or Lucic running the buffalo goalie leaving the sabres emasculated and rudderless and bringing in John Scott. Or the Montreal smurfs being laughed at and losing until they added size and toughness. And McJesus getting Lucic to ride shotgun, and more size and toughness. And the teams that did, all improved, not got worse. Obviously a team needs skill to win, but look at the infamous series between Sens-leafs. We had plenty of skill and a turn the other cheek coach.

All the teams above had no ability to respond. WHen they added the missing ingredient, it wasnt because it was a deterrent that they succeeded, it was because they gave them the confidence to step up and fight back and respond. And that wasnt just durr toughness, it was a real change that led to a better team.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010

You may want to dial it back just a tad....

The Sens just played 3 AHL caliber teams . Real games start soon.

I think he might have won this one.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Look at how Pittsburgh took the brunt end of things from the Jets. Even we lost Stone to them because of their borderline hits. Having Boro run their guys back takes their attention away from our productive guys.

Matt Martin is a guy who's sole M.O. is to throw as many big hits as possible. We can't just let him run around and not fight him.

It is what it is, that's one aspect I'll never agree with having an impact on what others do.

What is Boro fighting Martin going to do? Do you honestly think having Boro in the lineup makes Martin play any differently?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Huh? You do realize Pittsburgh won the cup without any tough guys right? I'll take one game where a team is "tougher" and lose, over actually being skilled enough to win the cup. Speaking of which, where are the Jets?

Claesson, looks like a swedish hillbilly, has really grown on me. I didnt see much special in him at first, but lately he has been looking like he could really grow into a solid role here. But i think i need more time still.

---

I really hate this strawman always put forth that if someone like Neil or Boro aren’t intimidating the other team out of starting stuff, then they aren’t worth it. As if they are Fonzie and don’t need to fight, just their rep provides the deterrent. This is nonsense and is surely the premise responsible for that fundamental misevaluation imo.

Perhaps it’s the infamous McSorley role, where no one will touch Gretzky while he rides shotgun on that line that everyone is thinking of. But that’s not what providing toughness means. Boro and Neil arent there because they are so tough that that they will deter others, but because they will respond.

I don’t see why this is so hard to grasp. We’ve seen so many examples. Look at the 5-0 fight night against the habs. You cant suggest that didn’t give the Sens momentum and confidence. How about the infamous Gratts takedown of Domi. That was a huge turning point for the franchise. Or Carkner in the Rangers series. Or Lucic running the buffalo goalie leaving the sabres emasculated and rudderless and bringing in John Scott. Or the Montreal smurfs being laughed at and losing until they added size and toughness. And McJesus getting Lucic to ride shotgun, and more size and toughness. And the teams that did, all improved, not got worse. Obviously a team needs skill to win, but look at the infamous series between Sens-leafs. We had plenty of skill and a turn the other cheek coach.

All the teams above had no ability to respond. WHen they added the missing ingredient, it wasnt because it was a deterrent that they succeeded, it was because they gave them the confidence to step up and fight back and respond. And that wasnt just durr toughness, it was a real change that led to a better team.

Talk about strawman. The invisible and mysterious deterrent. Right, because no one will take a run at Stone when Boro is in the lineup. Oh wait, Trouba did. Or the countless of other examples where the "though" guy was in the lineup and yet stuff like dirty hits still happened. Here is something. How about dirty stuff will happen no matter if you have zero or twenty "tough" guys. I still don't understand why hockey needs enforcers. You don't see that in Football, where it's a much more violent sport, AND fighting is an automatic ejection. There is no such thing as a deterrent.

Here's the bottom line, this team doesn't need Neil and Boro to win games. They are better off when those guys don't play. This is a new league where skill and speed trumps toughness. Pittsburgh proved that. The sooner you, Aragorn and other realize that, the better. You are living in the past in a different era that doesn't apply anymore.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
It is what it is, that's one aspect I'll never agree with having an impact on what others do.

What is Boro fighting Martin going to do? Do you honestly think having Boro in the lineup makes Martin play any differently?

Come playoff time, 65 will have a big bullseye on his back every 2nd night. Game plan will be to knock him into another time zone every chance you get. Yeah, you should definitely let him stand up for himself.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Agreed.

4 W 4 L and 3 draws this year according to Hockey Fights.

Regardless of if he wins or loses Boro still gives the team momentum from fighting.

God I hate Konopka. He took every fight when the other team needed momentum and almost all his fight hurt our momentum. Boro does not fight like that.

Ottawa's second best fighter is probably Phaneuf after Neil. Not Boro.

Neil is 4-2-1 in 7 fights this year.

The only think I disagree with is that Boro takes on all comers where is Phaneuf at his age is more strategic. Phaneuf may be a better fighter but I would bet Boro like Neil is much stronger & most of the time you need strength when they are wrestling more than throwing haymakers.

Especially of note is that our divisional rivals have guys like Shaw, Martin, Kane, and Ott, I want Boro to have to take them out of the game over them running our players.

Agreed. And let's not forget that we play Montreal three more times & could possibly meet them in the playoffs who got tougher over the deadline for a reason & Boston is tough & we meet them two more times & could also meet them in the playoffs. It's funny how many are against fighting until someone punches Karlsson in the face, or Stone is run over or slashed or the other team starts knocking our good players around. We already know through experience that the refs will not protect our players or make the calls, this team has to protect itself, they need to collectively stand up to the other team & occasionally will have to fight.

Just don't fight them...

How did that work out for us in the playoffs in the past Jacques Martin? The Sedins have yet to live down their playoff experience & most likely will be remembered for that embarrassing playoff series against Boston & Marchand has gone on to become a great NHL player & playoff performer.

In the last couple of playoff series against Montreal, when we took the fight to them & cleaned their clock with Maclean as coach Ottawa won the playoff round against them. When Montreal took the fight to us & cleaned our clock in the playoffs with Cameron as coach Montreal won the playoff round. Intimidation is still a part of the game, fights do turn momentum around & these things do have an impact on playoff series & Ottawa has had a multitude of examples of this in the past.

It's not about dropping the gloves & winning the fight, it's about not WILLINGLY getting pushed around & willing to drop them if you have to, it's about answering the bell & standing up for yourself & your teammates. It's about being collectively tough together but you need one or two guys who will fight anyone & we only have two guys on our team who are willing to do that. And I doubt we will ever agree on this subject.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Huh? You do realize Pittsburgh won the cup without any tough guys right? I'll take one game where a team is "tougher" and lose, over actually being skilled enough to win the cup. Speaking of which, where are the Jets?

Talk about strawman. The invisible and mysterious deterrent. Right, because no one will take a run at Stone when Boro is in the lineup. Oh wait, Trouba did. Or the countless of other examples where the "though" guy was in the lineup and yet stuff like dirty hits still happened. Here is something. How about dirty stuff will happen no matter if you have zero or twenty "tough" guys. I still don't understand why hockey needs enforcers. You don't see that in Football, where it's a much more violent sport, AND fighting is an automatic ejection. There is no such thing as a deterrent.

Here's the bottom line, this team doesn't need Neil and Boro to win games. They are better off when those guys don't play. This is a new league where skill and speed trumps toughness. Pittsburgh proved that. The sooner you, Aragorn and other realize that, the better. You are living in the past in a different era that doesn't apply anymore.

Sure. Call when the Sens have a lineup like the Pens.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm sure fighting won't be as common in the playoffs. Playing sound defensive hockey and giving up little scoring chances should be the main priority

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agreed.

The only think I disagree with is that Boro takes on all comers where is Phaneuf at his age is more strategic. Phaneuf may be a better fighter but I would bet Boro like Neil is much stronger & most of the time you need strength when they are wrestling more than throwing haymakers.

Agreed. And let's not forget that we play Montreal three more times & could possibly meet them in the playoffs who got tougher over the deadline for a reason & Boston is tough & we meet them two more times & could also meet them in the playoffs. It's funny how many are against fighting until someone punches Karlsson in the face, or Stone is run over or slashed or the other team starts knocking our good players around. We already know through experience that the refs will not protect our players or make the calls, this team has to protect itself, they need to collectively stand up to the other team & occasionally will have to fight.

How did that work out for us in the playoffs in the past Jacques Martin? The Sedins have yet to live down their playoff experience & most likely will be remembered for that embarrassing playoff series against Boston & Marchand has gone on to become a great NHL player & playoff performer.

In the last couple of playoff series against Montreal, when we took the fight to them & cleaned their clock with Maclean as coach Ottawa won the playoff round against them. When Montreal took the fight to us & cleaned our clock in the playoffs with Cameron as coach Montreal won the playoff round. Intimidation is still a part of the game, fights do turn momentum around & these things do have an impact on playoff series & Ottawa has had a multitude of examples of this in the past.

It's not about dropping the gloves & winning the fight, it's about not WILLINGLY getting pushed around & willing to drop them if you have to, it's about answering the bell & standing up for yourself & your teammates. It's about being collectively tough together but you need one or two guys who will fight anyone & we only have two guys on our team who are willing to do that. And I doubt we will ever agree on this subject.

Pretty much the best stretch of playoff hockey for the Sens ever?

Yes, I'm sure the Sedins situation will happen should Marchand do that to Karlsson....strawman at its finest.

Carkner setting the tone in the Rangers series was great, we still lost. And that was Brian ****ing Boyle, you don't need a guy like Boro to take care of business in the playoffs, though I'm more than happy to have him should we need him.

Pageau/Smith/Brassard/Phaneuf/Methot/Burrows/Stalberg/Pyatt/Wingles/Pyatt/Stone, all these guys are willing to go to the trenches, they are all willing to take and give a hit for the team. We aren't a team full of pansies, we don't need a saviour to come to our rescue to save us from big bad Shawn Thornton or Matt Martin, or when we inevitely have to play the Rangers/Pens/Caps/Isles, etc. Who exactly is it that they have that we need to dress someone to patrol the ice?

The NHL has changed, this isn't 2003.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Pretty much the best stretch of playoff hockey for the Sens ever?

Yes, I'm sure the Sedins situation will happen should Marchand do that to Karlsson....strawman at its finest.

Carkner setting the tone in the Rangers series was great, we still lost. And that was Brian ****ing Boyle, you don't need a guy like Boro to take care of business in the playoffs, though I'm more than happy to have him should we need him.

Pageau/Smith/Brassard/Phaneuf/Methot/Burrows/Stalberg/Pyatt/Wingles/Pyatt/Stone, all these guys are willing to go to the trenches, they are all willing to take and give a hit for the team. We aren't a team full of pansies, we don't need a saviour to come to our rescue to save us from big bad Shawn Thornton or Matt Martin, or when we inevitely have to play the Rangers/Pens/Caps/Isles, etc. Who exactly is it that they have that we need to dress someone to patrol the ice?

The NHL has changed, this isn't 2003.

Kreider, Wilson, Clutterbuck, Marchand for starters...... They'll be the ones with radar lock on on 65

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Kreider, Wilson, Clutterbuck, Marchand for starters...... They'll be the ones with radar lock on on 65

Really? We need to dress Boro as a deferent for guys that are not going to change their game regardless, and are going to play the same type of game 6-7 guys on the Sens play up front?

That is honestly foolish in my opinion.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Really? We need to dress Boro as a deferent for guys that are not going to change their game regardless, and are going to play the same type of game 6-7 guys on the Sens play up front?

I seriously doubt whoever we dress will deter those type of players from targeting anyone on our team. It's their game plan to do so. They would just entice someone to take a penalty anyways.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010

Send 65 a tweet and let him know that your opinion is that he should be on his own.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Boro's mom wouldn't bother with you. She's probably forgotten more about pro hockey than you know and doesn't need to prove it.

I actually know Boro's mom. His dad used to be the director for the group I worked for a while back. She doesn't know anything about hockey.

I seriously doubt whoever we dress will deter those type of players from targeting anyone on our team. It's their game plan to do so. They would just entice someone to take a penalty anyways.

Exactly. That was my point previously. Boro, Neil, or any other one dimensional player will not change the fact that Karlsson will be targeted. It will be the task of the rest of the team to step and make them pay. By not fighting, but by scoring goals and winning the game.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

We came within a goal of making it past New Jersey the year they won?

How about the year we made it to the finals with all that toughness?

Throwing Borowiecki or Neil into the lineup changes very little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad