Proposal: Ottawa needs stability in the bottom four D

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Last night's game was more evidence of what isn't impossible to see - the Senators are going to struggle with their bottom four D. The team needs to take a step forward this year but their forwards will have lots of trouble doing that if they're stuck in their own end or always chasing the scoreboard too often.

• Chabot and Zub are a great pair but are being overplayed because the bottom of the D is terrible and can't be relied on to play minutes. We're a half dozen games into the season and these guys are playing 25-30 minutes a night.
  • Holden has been playing a pretty sound game on the left side but he's the kind of guy who shouldn't be playing up the lineup and should be holding down that 3LD spot. No complaints here.
  • Brannstrom is a question mark but all signs point to the organization wanting to move on for whatever reason. We've already had too many threads on that so let's not beat that topic down any more.
  • Zaitsev, Brown, Del Zotto and Mete are the weak links here.
  • Next year help is on the way with the likes of Sanderson, Bernard-Docker and Thomson but that's next year and even that will require some insulation since these guys are young and inexperienced.

For now, that leaves:

Chabot - Zub
_____ - _____
Holden - _____

Without breaking the bank, are there any decent options out there to fill in any of these gaps? Guys who can play reliable minutes in their role are what's needed more than anything so the goalies aren't getting caved in and the top pair can breathe. I think it goes without saying at this point, the team likes bigger defencemen.

Reactions: Altimus

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Last night's game was more evidence of what isn't impossible to see - the Senators are going to struggle with their bottom four D. The team needs to take a step forward this year but their forwards will have lots of trouble doing that if they're stuck in their own end or always chasing the scoreboard too often.

• Chabot and Zub are a great pair but are being overplayed because the bottom of the D is terrible and can't be relied on to play minutes. We're a half dozen games into the season and these guys are playing 25-30 minutes a night.
  • Holden has been playing a pretty sound game on the left side but he's the kind of guy who shouldn't be playing up the lineup and should be holding down that 3LD spot. No complaints here.
  • Brannstrom is a question mark but all signs point to the organization wanting to move on for whatever reason. We've already had too many threads on that so let's not beat that topic down any more.
  • Next year help is on the way with the likes of Sanderson, Bernard-Docker and Thomson but that's next year and even that will require some insulation since these guys are young and inexperienced.

For now, that leaves:

Chabot - Zub
_____ - _____
Holden - _____

Without breaking the bank, are there any decent options out there to fill in any of these gaps? Guys who can play reliable minutes in their role are what's needed more than anything so the goalies aren't getting caved in and the top pair can breathe. I think it goes without saying at this point, the team likes bigger defencemen.

I got crucified for offering
KAM + Krav + Hajek -- all of which are immediate help --- + a reasonable significant +
for
Sanderson, who is temporarily unavailable.

I would still do that deal, adding a Ranger 1st for your 2nd.
something like that. Let's remember Krav is 9OA and KAM was a 1st + Sanderson was like 5OA.
It is not as off as some would like to posture.

Now, having crossed that item,
guys like KAM are not available a la carte and not unless we obtain profit worthwhile to justify the surrender.

If you need lesser bodies, I would do
Reunanen + Hajek + WPG 2022 4th
for
TBL 2022 2nd + Sens 2022 3rd

that would provide immediate help and neither is gonna compete for a Norris trophy, but they are fine for that valuation

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
KAM + Krav + Hajek -- all of which are immediate help --- + a reasonable significant +
for

something like that. Let's remember Krav is 9OA and KAM was a 1st + Sanderson was like 5OA.

guys like KAM are not available a la carte and not unless we obtain profit worthwhile to justify the surrender.

for

that would provide immediate help and neither is gonna compete for a Norris trophy, but they are fine for that valuation

Jake Sanderson is not ''temporarily unavailable''. He's unavailable period point blank.

Pass on both proposals.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Need to do smaller deals imo. Be decent enough and remove J. Brown and Mete. Zaistev isnt going to leave the line up due to DJ's man crush. Just 2 actual key word is actual bottom pairing dmen would be a huge boost for the sens.

Reactions: banks

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

For now, that leaves:

Chabot - Zub
_____ - _____
Holden - _____

If SEA keeps losing, go after Soucy?
2 yrs left and came from a solid MIN system.
Not sure of the cost but I'd think a 2nd + B level D prospect?

Reactions: banks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pens have more LD than they know what to do with. Juuso Riikola would be a decent punt at strengthening that unit right now for a fairly minor price, and if you guys are still interested next summer they'll probably be moving out a LD for a reasonable no cap return.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Ollie Matta is available from the Kings if interested A goalie prospect or a 5th Sens choice

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
for

for

That's a quantity over quality offer. Wouldn't be much different than a counter offer of Tyler Boucher and Jacob Bernard-Docker and a 2nd for Adam Fox. And Fox was a 3rd round pick, he can't be that valuable...

Reactions: Matsens15

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That's a quantity over quality offer. Wouldn't be much different than a counter offer of Tyler Boucher and Jacob Bernard-Docker and a 2nd for Adam Fox. And Fox was a 3rd round pick, he can't be that valuable...
There is a serious difference between your proposal and Bern’s. Rangers wouldn’t agree to it either but your proposal doesn’t come close to his

Reactions: bernmeister

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
There is a serious difference between your proposal and Bern’s. Rangers wouldn’t agree to it either but your proposal doesn’t come close to his
both are garbage offers. If you read carefully he was showing bern just how garbage his proposal was by also writing a bad one

Oh and before you start saying the sanderson proposal wasn't that bad let me just stop you there. hajek is crap. kravtsov can't even make the team and hasn't done shit, and miller is just a bottom pairing d-man with some top 4 potential. Sanderson is the best d not in the nhl right now

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I would be very interested in a deal around Manson/Shatetnkirk. Maybe Steel or Henrique, too, if they dont carry much cost.

Wonder how close Brannstrom + Zaitsev would come to getting a deal done.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

Technically, both offers are equivalent since both teams would hang up the phone without even responding to them.

Ottawa isn't dealing Sanderson for anything less than an overpayment. You could offer Lafreniere straight up and the answer might be no.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Technically, both offers are equivalent since both teams would hang up the phone without even responding to them.

Ottawa isn't dealing Sanderson for anything less than an overpayment. You could offer Lafreniere straight up and the answer might be no.
I don't think I'd trade Sanderson for Eichel one for one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad