Proposal: Ottawa needs stability in the bottom four D

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Or we go back to last season's lineup. Chabot anchors the top pairing with Zaitsev and Zub anchors the 2nd pairing with somebody like Holden.

Redden and Chara played on two different pairing for 4 seasons. And Redden had some pretty sketchy partners.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't see the Senators bringing in a stud top 4 defenseman in his prime. If anything, i can see them going after someone like Demelo. A decent but not stellar guy to play with Chabot so they can move Zub to anchor the 2nd pair with Holden or Zaitsev.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Or we go back to last season's lineup. Chabot anchors the top pairing with Zaitsev and Zub anchors the 2nd pairing with somebody like Holden.

Redden and Chara played on two different pairing for 4 seasons. And Redden had some pretty sketchy partners.

If Zub is anchoring the 2nd pair I'd prefer it was as Brannstroms partner rather than Holden... Holden has proven to be a steady defence-first 3rd pairing D, which is great! Zub should get Brannstrom until Sanderson arrives.

although I also don't particularly enjoy the idea of swapping Zub's partner like 3 times...

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Who says no?

AZ: Sanford + Mete + 7th for Stralman + 4th
- AZ would be taking on 3.2m in salary & cap, sending out 5.5m in cap and 4.5m in salary
CHI: Sanford + Mete + 5th for DeHaan
- CHI would be taking on 3.2m in salary & cap, sending out 4.55m in cap and 5.4m in salary
SEA: Mete/Sanford + 2nd for Soucy
- SEA would be taking on 1.2m or 2.0 in salary & cap, sending out 2.75m x 2 in cap and 6.5/2 in salary
VGK: Mete (438k retained) for Coghlan
- Salary & cap situations would remain unchanged for both teams

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Last night's game was more evidence of what isn't impossible to see - the Senators are going to struggle with their bottom four D.

Who could have seen this coming™?

Feels like groundhog day since Dorion has been managing this team. So many things that I instantly see coming and yet he doesn't seem to see them (like Stepan and Balcers last season for example)

Would have really loved Adam Larsson on the Senators. I wish we were more aggressive in the pursuit of him in free agency.

Larsson is EXACTLY What the Sens need (and not Del Zotto lol). He got 4 x 4 and I would have gladly paid 5 x 5

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Larsson
Holden - Zaitsev
Mete - Brown

And once Sanderson arrives, you trade Brannstrom and go with :

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Larsson
Holden - Zaitsev
Mete - Brown

Can I interest you in a slightly used Zadorov? He is physical and was good in his own end apparently before he came to Calgary.

He has always been physical. He has never been good though.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Who could have seen this coming™?

Feels like groundhog day since Dorion has been managing this team. So many things that I instantly see coming and yet he doesn't seem to see them (like Stepan and Balcers last season for example)

Larsson is EXACTLY What the Sens need (and not Del Zotto lol). He got 4 x 4 and I would have gladly paid 5 x 5

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Larsson
Holden - Zaitsev
Mete - Brown

And once Sanderson arrives, you trade Brannstrom and go with :

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Larsson
Holden - Zaitsev
Mete - Brown

He has always been physical. He has never been good though.
Zadorov was in the 97th percentile for own zone shot suppression before he came to Calgary. So yes, he was pretty good at that as there were only 6 defensemen in the league who fared better. He was abysmally bad at generating shots though as well.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Zadorov was in the 97th percentile for own zone shot suppression before he came to Calgary. So yes, he was pretty good at that as there were only 6 defensemen in the league who fared better. He was abysmally bad at generating shots though as well.

This surprises me, I never really studied that player, so this was only based on the eye test. Being big and physical has advantages in the D-zone if your positionning is good. Hockey IQ, mobility and puck movement will determine how good you are. These are parts were Zadorov game is lacking, although mobility vs size is pretty decent

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Scandella is an interesting target. How has his play been? Is he still at least a bottom pairing dman?
Blues have played well at 5-1...Scandella hasn't hurt them.
He was thrust into Jay Bouwmeester's shut-down role alongside Parayko and played well for 10-games before the Covid shut-down. Since then he's been banged up and inconsistent...just like the rest of the team. He'd be a fine #5, and is playing a top-4 role on a good team, averaging 22+ minutes per night, and contributing to a strong PK-unit. He's valuable, but his $3.275M salary for 2 more years looks like the most logical to move for future payroll flexibility.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Scandella is an interesting idea but that contract is heavy for what will end up being a bottom pair guy. Wish he played right.

Bortuzzo on the other hand, this might be more ideal. I could see a Holden - Bortuzzo bottom pair. Experienced veteran guys to support all this youth.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Blues have played well at 5-1...Scandella hasn't hurt them.
He was thrust into Jay Bouwmeester's shut-down role alongside Parayko and played well for 10-games before the Covid shut-down. Since then he's been banged up and inconsistent...just like the rest of the team. He'd be a fine #5, and is playing a top-4 role on a good team, averaging 22+ minutes per night, and contributing to a strong PK-unit. He's valuable, but his $3.275M salary for 2 more years looks like the most logical to move for future payroll flexibility.

Yeah based off your description he would be a massive upgrade for the sens. I like that he has a relatively good salary as well. Was looking at him and Colin Miller as a stability target for the sens and an upgrade as well. Would need to figure out which dmen ottawa would end up shooting into the sun (aka sending them where) since Im assuming based upon your post you wont want to take any salary back.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
not seeing a match
unless you want to do
Hajek + Ranger 3rd + 4th
for
Sens 2nd + 5th

something like that
most of our other guys are too high end or too inexperienced for what OP wants

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This surprises me, I never really studied that player, so this was only based on the eye test. Being big and physical has advantages in the D-zone if your positionning is good. Hockey IQ, mobility and puck movement will determine how good you are. These are parts were Zadorov game is lacking, although mobility vs size is pretty decent
He's horrific with the puck on his stick. Skating is decent, but he looks like he's so shocked when it's on his stick that he needs a heck of a lot more time than he has to figure out what to do with it.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad