Proposal: Ottawa needs stability in the bottom four D

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Scott Harrington

Need a stronger guy on the left.

Reunanen + Hajek

Hajek is probably too inexperienced. Forget about Sanderson, it'd make more sense for you to become a sens fan than for NY to try and get him.

Interesting option. I worry about the price for a stop gap though.

I would love Soucy on the left side. Doubt they give him up even if they lose every game this year.

I wouldn't be opposed. Has he been bad in a couple games he played?

Juuso Riikola

I know nothing about him. Could he play middle pair reliably?

John Moore

I think Moore's best days are behind him unfortunately.

Ollie Matta

I've always found him to be kinda soft. What's Strand like?

Nathan Beaulieu

More of what we have I feel like unless something has changed.

Don't think we'd want someone signed longer term with Sanderson here by the end of the season.

Manson/Shatetnkirk

Manson would be good. Don't think Shattenkirk would be available.

Loved and hated Boro in his time here but I don't think we ever go back there.

Hopefully I didn't frig up this reply, multi-quote on mobile is always a little dicey.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Manson has always been a bit of a pipe dream for Senators fans, but there are a few potential showstoppers.
- NTC
- May not be willing to sign an extension, and Ottawa is not interested in costly rentals
- Will be 31 going in to next season. Fine stop gap but not necessarily the sort of player Ottawa want to sign long term anyway
- Anaheim will get maximum trade value for him. A playoff-bound team will certainly give a 1st rounder for him so Ottawa may not like the equivalent price

Lineup-wise it's a fit though. Adding a solid 2nd pairing RD lets Zaitsev slide down to the 3rd pairing. Need another Zub. The guy just makes everyone better.

De Melo would be handy about now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neiler

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Would have really loved Adam Larsson on the Senators. I wish we were more aggressive in the pursuit of him in free agency.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Can I interest you in a slightly used Zadorov? He is physical and was good in his own end apparently before he came to Calgary.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Soucy is the most interesting name brought up so far. I'd imagine the Sens would like to send MDZ back given the 2nd year on his deal, but it might be a little early to punt on that. I wonder how close the following would be:

Carson Soucy for Josh Brown + TBL 2nd 2022 + Guenette/Aspirot/Roger/Lodin/Picks

Leaves the Sens "set" on the left side with Chabot/Soucy/Holden/Mete. Zub/Zaitsev get top-four duty on the right side (seems inevitable for Zaitsev despite his struggles) and then you could actually give Brannstrom and extended look on the right side with regular minutes and a stable/regular partner (Holden). If Brannstrom doesn't work on the right side the team is likely going to ease Jacob Bernard-Docker and/or Lassi Thomson into bottom pairing roles as soon as next year and can trade him away knowing they at least gave him an extended shot.

2021-22
Chabot - Zub
Soucy - Zaitsev
Holden - Brannstrom
Mete - Del Zotto

2022-23
Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Zaitsev
Soucy - Brannstrom/JBD/Thomson
Del Zotto

EDIT: Zadorov basically works as the same kind of stopgap, only as a worse version. I doubt the Sens would move as much value and might be forced to move a couple of guys for money reasons but it could work. Maybe something like Mete + J.Brown + mid pick/prospect? Flames still shed money and pick up a minor asset. Brown can probably safely be sent to the AHL and Mete might get through as well depending on teams injury issues at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neiler

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Zadorov makes just under 4 mil on a 1 year deal and has been serviceable before. Doubt Calgary is looking for much
A RHS forward like Connor Brown is really what we need. I like Ritchie on the 4th line, but he's playing 2nd line now because we have no RHS wingers in the top 9. I'd add pick or prospect to balance value.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I wonder if Lyubushkin is available? RD, expiring contract and is big so DJ will actually play him.

Other targets:
1. Nick Jensen: I know he was kind of on the block earlier. Is a bit too expensive for Washington for their cap situation on a quick glance. Will suck taking on the second year for a bottom pairing guy but ottawa's defense is that bad.

2. f***ing rights Demelo...please

3. Soucy: he shouldnt be available right

After those guys it would have to be a guy that is not expected to be on the block otherwise it seems like a marginal upgrade to the crap that ottawa is running now

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wonder if Lyubushkin is available? RD, expiring contract and is big so DJ will actually play him.

Other targets:
1. Nick Jensen: I know he was kind of on the block earlier. Is a bit too expensive for Washington for their cap situation on a quick glance. Will suck taking on the second year for a bottom pairing guy but ottawa's defense is that bad.

2. f***ing rights Demelo...please

3. Soucy: he shouldnt be available right

After those guys it would have to be a guy that is not expected to be on the block otherwise it seems like a marginal upgrade to the crap that ottawa is running now
No, you'll take Zadorov and a pick/prospect for C. Brown and you'll like it.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens aren't dealing Connor Brown. He's a big piece of the forward group and our most veteran defensive presence up front in the lineup.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sens aren't dealing Connor Brown. He's a big piece of the forward group and our most veteran defensive presence up front in the lineup.
Yes that's why you'll be dealing him to us. How can you get a top 3 pick with him in the lineup?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Josh Brown for Zadorov is a deal, and you don't even have to add a pick.

No take backs.
Curious what you would think of acquiring Matthew Tkachuk?

I'd want the good Brown, a protected 1st in 22 or 23, 2nd in the year the 1st isn't and a lotto ticket prospect like Sokolov or Crookshank.

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Curious what you would think of acquiring Matthew Tkachuk?

I'd want the good Brown, a protected 1st in 22 or 23, 2nd in the year the 1st isn't and a lotto ticket prospect like Sokolov or Crookshank.
I'd do it, but the lotto ticket would have to be Jarventie if the good Brown is included.

The question I wanna know is, why would you do that?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd do it, but the lotto ticket would have to be Jarventie if the good Brown is included.

The question I wanna know is, why would you do that?
Because having 45M in LWs probably doesn't make sense going forward. Mangiapane is going to land between 6 and 7. Gaudreau between 8 and 9, Lucic is at 6, Dube 2.5, Coleman 4.9.

I'd want a lotto ticket prospect though, not a used kleenex prospect (and a LHS LW used kleenex at that).

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Because having 45M in LWs probably doesn't make sense going forward. Mangiapane is going to land between 6 and 7. Gaudreau between 8 and 9, Lucic is at 6, Dube 2.5, Coleman 4.9.

I'd want a lotto ticket prospect though, not a used kleenex prospect (and a LHS LW used kleenex at that).
Fair enough.

I'd want a right shot RW if we're trading C. Brown, and the lotto pick is a non- starter.

KingKempe9

Feb 18, 2019
What would you offer for Mikey Anderson. LD on our (kings) top line with Drew last seasonable and this. Sound defensively and young, and will only get better. Not much offense. Kings needs are an offensive D man , or a sniper , or some tough guy D who can clear the crease and not be a liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad